Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thunderbolts #4 *Spoilers*

So, issue 4 is finally here and I actually liked it. The writing still seems simplistic in many places, but through many flashbacks it's like all the pieces finally started falling together. We got to see some real conflict between the team (minus Elektra) and Red Hulk, and we got to see them band together to rescue her.

They had a pretty decent 'gag' where at first it seems like Awa may have shot Elektra, including a nice panel with her head in shadows and dripping blood. I personally never believed she was in danger (especially looking at preview pages, covers, etc), but it was a nice visual regardless.

This book is still not the best one out there, but I think this issue has been the best one since the second issue. It filled in a lot of gaps, gave us some actual team stuff, and promises some crazy stuff in the next issue (the whole team against Madman, hopefully, and Rulk apparently trying to revive Leader with a massive dose of Gamma Radiation).

Also, with the flashbacks, it kind of makes more sense as to why the CIA would be so interested in the team; if this team is cleaning up Agency secrets, they may be afraid of what else they could uncover.

Some of my favorite moments of this book were the team-up of Punisher and Deadpool, I thought they had some good banter and I enjoyed the whole land-mine bit.

Anyway...hope everyone else who read it at least enjoyed it!

I'm definitely enjoying this book and this issue was the strongest so far. Nice to see the conflicts heating up in the team. Frank's method of dealing with an opponent far outside his weight class was a pure Punisher moment.

I enjoyed this issue as well. It's nice that we are getting some back story as to what gas been going on in Kata Jaya. The Punisher scene was cool and I'm also wondering if the blonde soldier with the young General Awa could possibly be Thunderbolt Ross? It would give extra depth to his reasons for wanting to free the Kata Jayans from their dictatorship! I am more than ready for Phil Noto to take over the art chores now though!
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

Hm...interesting thought, scouse!

We know (especially from dialogue lol) that Ross was involved in getting Kata Jaya into its current state of affairs, but I didn't even think of him being there from the start.

This is a fun book. Deadpool + Punisher = win. Also I am really liking seeing the team pull together and Punisher's "concern" for Electra. Electra living up to her rep is also nice.
    Black characters always get looter powers.
    ~darknessatnoon

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Hm...interesting thought, scouse!

We know (especially from dialogue lol) that Ross was involved in getting Kata Jaya into its current state of affairs, but I didn't even think of him being there from the start.
    It was from Awa's line about Ross back in the day that made me put 2 and 2 together. If that was him, he maybe wanting to atone for what he did in the past.
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

^ I think you're right. I might need to re-read this one lol.

This issue was nice to read glad we could had a glimpse of some back story. We only need to know what Ross did to to lead to current state of affairs of Kata Jaya, the punisher moment was cool to see but it was a bit of bs. But definetely this issue was one of the best on par with issue #1.

This book has a big problem for me, we don't see any full action sequence.

i'm talking about Deadpool and Punisher shooting Madman in the chest, then we see some backstory for some pages, then we get back to see Punisher and Deadpool hiding in some sort of jungle. We can imagine that they have running from Madman after he charged them, but i would like to see all the sequence.
    Last edited by Bionder; 02-06-2013 at 01:36 PM.

As much as I've come to appreciate Dillon's art, I do have to agree on that point. I don't know if he's just not capable, or if they don't come across as fluid and so he doesn't use them, or if it's even him just following the script as is. Either way, this book kind of requires extensive action sequences imo. I have no issue with an actual story taking place, like the backstory that we get here, but you can't gather the MU's biggest psychopathic bad-asses and just have a bunch of talking heads with an occasional backhand or firing of a gamma weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionder View Post
    This issue was nice to read glad we could had a glimpse of some back story. We only need to know what Ross did to to lead to current state of affairs of Kata Jaya, the punisher moment was cool to see but it was a bit of bs. But definetely this issue was one of the best on par with issue #1.

This book has a big problem for me, we don't see any full action sequence.

i'm talking about Deadpool and Punisher shooting Madman in the chest, then we see some backstory for some pages, then we get back to see Punisher and Deadpool hiding in some sort of jungle. We can imagine that they have running from Madman after he charged them, but i would like to see all the sequence.
    Bionder's right. When I look back at previous issues, there are a lot of details that are missing and the reader has to guess. That has been the biggest problem with this book so far. It's surprising because Daniel Way and Steve Dillon have worked together before.

The book was really good, and I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

First of all, hello everyone, I'm new here.

Personally, I think this book been improving with each issue. I share some of the criticisms that have been mentioned, such as the abuse of flashbacks and the few action scenes, but some of those scenes have been very good in my opinion (Elektra throwing a knife in the face of a soldier in issue # 2, Frank using a landmine against Madman in this issue, knowing that his improved vest would protect him from the impact).

The book has a light comedic tone, especially with the Deadpool interventions, I do not think we have to take the story too seriously. It's the first time I read something written by Way, so I have no prejudice against him.

Also, Dillon's art does not bother me, I got used to it in the Marvel Knights Punisher era, but I think that his level has decreased a since then.

The Punisher scene with the landmine was cool but no way he could get his face untouched by the explosion... but it's okay i don't mind too much this is a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionder View Post
    The Punisher scene with the landmine was cool but no way he could get his face untouched by the explosion... but it's okay i don't mind too much this is a comic book.
    Where WarZone 4 failed to deliver the how he did what he did to don the armor at least the splash page here does show he had donned a special chest garb with a bombproof superprotective factor. So, I accepted Frank's legendary prep skills more willingly here. It was actually a cool scenario.

The issue was alright. It should have had more action from every member. A big jump and popping off two rifles was hardly a war. Okay, Frank put on a good show and his dialoguing with DP made the issue fun. There should have been more details or footnotes on Madman; appreciation of the villain of the issue would mean more to the fans who aren't familiar with his history during the PAD run in Hulk.

Four issues in and Elektra still not able kick deserving ass is disappointing.

It is frustrating that Elektra has basically been turned into the token damsel in distress for this arc. Hopefully through 5 and 6 she'll make up for lost time with much badassery (judging from the preview pages for 5, we will at least see her no longer in captivity and killing a few folks).

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    It is frustrating that Elektra has basically been turned into the token damsel in distress for this arc. Hopefully through 5 and 6 she'll make up for lost time with much badassery (judging from the preview pages for 5, we will at least see her no longer in captivity and killing a few folks).
    Yeah, I thought the plan was to left Elektra being capture on purpose, so she would infiltrate the enemy fortress and begin a slaughter inside. I thought she was going to free herself of those shackles, but it seems that, in the end, Danny Way decided that she would be released by any of his teammates instead, what a shame indeed.