Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I have to say this is, bar none, the best issue of Superior Spider-Man yet to date. None of the creepy subplot of Doc Ock trying to take advantage of the female supporting cast in order to get into their pants but instead actual character development based upon his prior criminal past and "friendship" with the Vulture. Not to mention develops with regards to Ghost Peter and Carlie Cooper. If I do have misgivings however, it's these:

spoilers:
    *while I get that Otto becomes enraged over the idea that the Vulture used little kids for his crimes (which is in keeping with the idea that Adrian Toomes is a modern day Fagin) and that it relates back to when he was abused by his dad as a child, Otto has had no qualms about hurting kids in the past, especially when you consider how his scheme in Ends of the Earth would've potentially killed millions of children. Granted, the idea is that he's seeing the Vulture in a new light now that he's Spider-Man, but it seemed like a slight disconnect IMO.

*And now that Carlie knows that "Peter" is really Doc Ock, there's really is no reason for her NOT to tell Mary Jane what's really going on. Except that I fear that she won't because of whatever plot contrivance that comes up. Which, as I said about her in the last issue, would really make her out to be a crappy friend, IMO. But we'll get to that bridge if and when we cross it.
    end of spoilers
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Superior Spider-Man is awesome. I really thought this was going to be less enjoyable than previous work, but I am loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I have to say this is, bar none, the best issue of Superior Spider-Man yet to date. None of the creepy subplot of Doc Ock trying to take advantage of the female supporting cast in order to get into their pants but instead actual character development based upon his prior criminal past and "friendship" with the Vulture. Not to mention develops with regards to Ghost Peter and Carlie Cooper. If I do have misgivings however, it's these:

spoilers:
    *while I get that Otto becomes enraged over the idea that the Vulture used little kids for his crimes (which is in keeping with the idea that Adrian Toomes is a modern day Fagin) and that it relates back to when he was abused by his dad as a child, Otto has had no qualms about hurting kids in the past, especially when you consider how his scheme in Ends of the Earth would've potentially killed millions of children. Granted, the idea is that he's seeing the Vulture in a new light now that he's Spider-Man, but it seemed like a slight disconnect IMO.

*And now that Carlie knows that "Peter" is really Doc Ock, there's really is no reason for her NOT to tell Mary Jane what's really going on. Except that I fear that she won't because of whatever plot contrivance that comes up. Which, as I said about her in the last issue, would really make her out to be a crappy friend, IMO. But we'll get to that bridge if and when we cross it.
    end of spoilers
    I agree totally. There's a great balance of character development, story and plot here.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Ian McKellen as the Vulture...hahahaha. Everytime I read one of his lines, I said it in my head as Ian McKellen's voice but I didn't know why.

Also, in the flashback between Ock and Vulture, Ock's glasses were shaped like Spiderman's eyes. Does anyone think this could have anything to do with the story in the near future?

What if Ghost Pete, is actually his soul, and he is put into a cloned body of Doc Ock?
    Funny enough he wasn't drawn like that again for the rest of the issue.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Kinda wonder what the naysayers who wrote SS-M off before a single issue hit think of the developments now.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Funny enough he wasn't drawn like that again for the rest of the issue.
    If I'm not mistaken, Doc Ock is not shown in the rest of the issue except as a kid. I doubt it means anything. I just found it interesting that when Otto is in Parker's past, Peter subtly resembles Doc Ock (Bowl Cut), and when Peter is in Ock's past, Ock subtly resembles Peter (with the drawing of Ock's traditionally circular glasses.)

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic.
    Who are Spider-Man's Greatest Villains? Find out here!

I'm seriously loving this series. Like a lot of people I had doubts about it before it started, but now all of my doubts are gone. This was my favourite issue so far, I just loved everything about it. Also pleased that Carlie has suspicions and attention is paid to that.

Also, the jab at Batman was brilliant
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by zexion_armando View Post
    Ghost Peter is really the worst thing ever, and I wish someone would exercise him from this comic.
    I'll go get my stair-master.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    She doesn't know though. She just highly suspects. It's kind of a crazy idea to just throw at someone without concrete proof.
    end of spoilers

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

I loved the issue. I love the memories of Otto and showing that he obviously has morals of his own, he just isn't some mad scientist. I always loved Doc Ock since I read that one issue with his back story about how his parents were and how that shaped him into who he is. So, I loved that it was brought up again.

Absolutely loved this issue. That's all I've got time to say right now.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Not sure Ock really heard Peter.... We'd really need to know if Carlie had been saying anything pre us joining the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars 'N Stripes View Post
    Kinda wonder what the naysayers who wrote SS-M off before a single issue hit think of the developments now.
    Still not horribly interested if you really care.

Some further comments.

spoilers:
    I loved that Peter began rooting through Ock's memories again. Having the two of them being able to offer their commentary on each other's lives and their own perspectives on them is awesome and a great way to do further character development for both Ock and Peter. I also loved how Ock tried to help Toomes first and give him what he always wanted so that he wouldn't have to be a criminal anymore. He didn't want to actually fight someone he considered a colleague and, if not equal, at least someome for whom he had some respect.. It was also nice to see that Ock's redeveloping morals and conscience continues. Toomes is gonna be in traction a while. xD
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.