Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    You know, I think this argument about "New Ollie is completely unlikable" is total BS (Despite that Lemire thinks it as well).

Krul's Ollie took himself a bit too seriously but he was'nt a jackass, he was inspiring at times actually. Nocenti's Ollie was irresponsible and impulsive but he was'nt a douche, he was quite smart on his moments.

Maybe people were not reading the whole series when they make these comments and are just following what the most vocal and irrational fanboys say.
    This is how I feel. Were the stories hard to read at times yes and Ollie hard to support at times yes. But overall he wasn't as much of a jerk as people make him out to be. Was Nocenti at least try to learn more about things like the occupation movement and tried to flesh out the character a little more. If anything it was Green Arrow#0 that made him seem like a douchebag.

I am going to buy Green Arrow#17 and I'm probably going to like it based on interviews. And the previews.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

This was a fantastic issue. I've never been a huge Green Arrow fan, but I loved this. Loved the coloring, too.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Well, she already stated that she never understood Ollie that much so I guess the most reasonable route was'nt as obvious for her.
    That's funny considering I understand she's pretty left wing herself, at least that's what I took home from her Daredevil run...

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    This was a fantastic issue. I've never been a huge Green Arrow fan, but I loved this. Loved the coloring, too.
    I'm really glad to hear you liked it IronMangus! He is easily my favorite DC character and it looks like he's finally back on track. It's hard to put into words how happy I am. I hope you keep getting it.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

I hope Lemire will bring back the left wing elements. It's something missing from today's superhero comics and will give Green Arrow a unique trait.

Enjoyed the issue. It wasn't great, but Lemire usually starts out slowly, and this actually served as a great introduction to the Green Arrow world for me, as this is my first ever Green Arrow comic. I would like some of the more crisp dialogue that Lemire is known for down the road, but I am sure it will be coming after he got all of the introduction/exposition out of the way. Regardless, he's probably my favorite writer in the industry right now, so am in it for the long haul. Very much looking forward to the ride!
    Writers: Hickman, Lemire, Snyder, Ennis
    Artists: Immonen, Bachalo, Reis, Williams III, Coipel

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman2978 View Post
    This is how I feel. Were the stories hard to read at times yes and Ollie hard to support at times yes. But overall he wasn't as much of a jerk as people make him out to be. Was Nocenti at least try to learn more about things like the occupation movement and tried to flesh out the character a little more. If anything it was Green Arrow#0 that made him seem like a douchebag.
    Heh, strangely I thought that issue 0 was the most faithful interpretation on the character.

That "You see a fire and you can't help but jump into it" line? Totally in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    That's funny considering I understand she's pretty left wing herself, at least that's what I took home from her Daredevil run...
    As I've said, the most reasonable route was'nt as obvious to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I like the writing, I like the drawing, but please, PLEASE get a colorist. Please, I am freaking begging you. Or just print the comic in black and white. I'd be fine with that option, too. But with colors like this issue, I can barely stand to look at the pages. I can barely tell what is happening in many panels and it's not the fault of the drawing at all. The art is great but the coloring kills it, imo.

I was so looking forward to this issue, and when I opened it up and saw that coloring, my heart just sank.
    NO NO NO NO NO.

The coloring was sooooooooo good. Gave it a distinct style and made the art pop. Apparently the I, Vampire colorist is doing the next issue anyway.

Story was pretty good but the art stole the show.

The only issue of GA I've read in my life was the 1st issue from the New52 way back, and I hated it. Having been out of the loop for a year or so, was excited to hear Lemire was on this. LOVED IT. The art was exceptional too.
    Pull list: X-Men, FF, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Batman, Earth 2, Superman/Wonder Woman, Saga

I didn't realize the new artist was the same guy as I, Vampire. I only picked up the first issue of IV, but his artwork in that highly reminded me of Jae Lee. This issue really reminded me of David Aja. I can certainly appreciate the artist's he's aping, but I'd love to see what he can do when he develops his own style.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO.

The coloring was sooooooooo good. Gave it a distinct style and made the art pop. Apparently the I, Vampire colorist is doing the next issue anyway.
    I'm glad you liked it. Great for you. Why is it so freaking hard for you to understand that everyone's eyes process color a little differently. For me, I COULD NOT SEE WHAT WAS HAPPENING. I'm not saying, "Gee, I wish the colors were a little different," or , "Golly, I'm not really a fan of that style of coloring." I'm saying my eyes were not processing the color in a way that let me even decipher what was going on half the time. Every panel was a flat, amorphous jumble of random patterns that I then had to take time to work through, rather than letting the storytelling flow naturally. And when I say "flat," I don't mean the characters weren't modeled in a rounded way. I don't care about that. What I'm talking about is that there was no depth of field.

Crap. I was really hoping that someone would finally write a good New 52 version of Green Arrow, but this wasn't it for me. It was just flat. And while I loved Sorrentino's work on "I,Vampire", I didn't think the style worked so well for a super hero - even a 'street level' hero.

I think this was the best Green Arrow (new 52) issue in quite awhile.

I can not wait to read Justice League Of America #1 next week.

Between this issue and JLA and the Arrow series on TV things are looking good for Green Arrow.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Heh, strangely I thought that issue 0 was the most faithful interpretation on the character.

That "You see a fire and you can't help but jump into it" line? Totally in character.
    I thought that line was great as well and liked some of issue #0. I just thought alot of the first 17 issues were choppy. Very hit and miss. I thought Krul's last series that tied into Brightest Day was pretty damn good., but thought the rose story he wrote in this volume was pretty bad. To me until this newest issue. The art never really jelled. I like Tolibao, but the coloring was off. Finally I think the writing and the art are on the same wavelength and I can't wait for more!
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

I absolutely loved this issue. As someone who usually reads an issue and only really picks it up again right before the next issue comes out to get a refresher, I found myself wanting to go back and read this again a few days after I picked this up.

On a side note, I really want to thank DC for treating this issue like a new series part of Wave 4 of The New 52 instead of just announcing it and running a few ads on it. I wouldn't have picked this up if it weren't for that.