Default Spaceman by Brian Azzarello

What are your thoughts on this book ? I'm thinking about picking it up because I find it interesting but I hope it's not mediocre. (Please no spoilers)

I read the first issue, but it didn't really click with me as much as the Wonder Woman and 100 Bullets did. I'm waiting for the softcover to buy it. I have loved pretty much every book that Azzarello and Risso have collaborated on.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

I know quite a few people loved it but while I loved the art, I was not a fan of the story itself.

I admire the ambition but I thought the underlying world building story was too obtuse for its own good and the basic plot on which the comic hangs isn't very interesting. The made-up slang didn't work for me either - Azarello was presumably going for a Clockwork Orange type thing, but it didn't come close. Oh and I didn't care about the characters either. Pity.
    Last edited by Ilash; 02-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

BANNED

The execution isn't as good as the premise, but in all I say it was pretty good. Azzarello's narration is strong, and the art alone is worth the purchase.

Overall mediocre. The trappings are interesting (setting, language, etc.) but the basic plot is pretty "meh".

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Got bored with it after issue three or four, maybe earlier.

It's premise but it's execution left cold but the art is bloody marvelous!
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

La la la can't hear you. Getting the deluxe hardcover myself.
    BB

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Thanks for reminding me. I really enjoyed the first two issues and decided to wait for the trade. Yes the art was great but Risso was given a lot of interesting things to render. I thought the "Spaceman" was a very well done character, and the story was pretty classic Azzarello. With the exception of Wonder Woman, better than his superhero stuff.

I read it in singles, but I expect that it'll read much, much better in trade.

I found the characters just okay and the story pretty uninspired. Also, while the new dialect Azzarello invented was impressive, it got annoying after a while.

That said, the art, and the WORLD that Azzarello and Risso created was absolutely incredible. That was the sole reason I enjoyed Spaceman and kept coming back. The characters and the story were one thing, but I was really just paying $2.99 a month for a ticket to the incredible urban dystopia that Azzarello and Risso delivered. That's the real prize here.

As a word of warning, I found the ending extremely confusing and am still not entirely certain that I fully understood it. There was actually a thread about it when Spaceman #9 with people tossing theories about all over the place.

Overall, it's not Azzarello's best work, but there are lots of great ideas and craftsmanship. I see that you can grab the deluxe hardcover for $18 on Amazon; for that price, it's definitely worth the trip.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW