Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    A guy who loves comics Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Thanos? Awesome. Hickman on Thanos? FAN-F*&%ING-TASTIC. Consider my interest very much piqued.

My God . . . t-shirts? The scale and importance must be HUGE.

BANNED

im just going to lay this here for Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Well, Choas War was supposed to bring out Marvel's Mystic side.
    I don't recall Marvel's mystics playing much of a big role in the story though. Annihilation on the other hand put Nova and Surfer front-and-center.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Hickman writing a Thanos tale with art by Cheung? That's an absolute must-have. As for Marvel Cosmic getting more of a shot over Marvel Mystic, I think it's just a matter of Cosmic having more of a fanbase to begin with, a more exploitable roster of characters to play with, and also the rules are more easily understood. The big problem with the mystic corner of the Marvel U is that the rules concerning magic are so ill-defined so it's harder to writers - and readers - to wrap their heads around. Maybe someday someone will better address that but for now I think that's why Marvel's mystic characters will always be on the fringe while cosmic has a better shot at center stage.

As for the event this is leading up to, I wonder if "Infinity" will involve the infinite possibilities of a Marvel multiverse. Hickman's re-introducing the New Universe in Avengers, the Ultimate universe and 616 universe have had their first crossover with Spider-Man, and Ed Brubaker's Watcher tale in the first Point One issue brought up the suggestion of a multiverse, so the seeds have already been sown for something bigger along those lines. Whatever it is, I'm intrigued.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 02-05-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Chaos War...ehhhh. I wouldn't exactly call it a mystic event. That would be like calling Fear Itself a mystic event.
    Chaos War was a huge let down, and this is coming from an "Incredible Hercules" superfan. It could have focused on the mystic side and pantheons of the Marvel Universe, and been like Marvel's answer to DC's "War of the Gods" (much like Gillen later did with "Journey Into Mystery"). After all, "Incredible Hercules," the comic that led into the event, owed much of its popularity to mythological source material.

Instead, Chaos War focused on dead people coming back to life and became Marvel's watered-down version of DC's Blackest Night. One of Pak's and Van Lente's rare misfires.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

As for the event this is leading up to, I wonder if "Infinity" will involve the infinite possibilities of a Marvel multiverse. Hickman's re-introducing the New Universe in Avengers, the Ultimate universe and 616 universe have had their first crossover with Spider-Man, and Ed Brubaker's Watcher tale in the first Point One issue brought up the suggestion of a multiverse, so the seeds have already been sown for something bigger along those lines. Whatever it is, I'm intrigued.
    That could be interesting, but unlike DC, the Marvel multiverse never left. The X-Men have been reaping the benefits of it over the past year or two.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Well it IS Hickman, so there may yet be an interesting wrinkle to this tale. Nevertheless, I think it's time they let somebody new rise up the ranks of cosmic baddie. Thanos seeking/achieving ultimate power has been done to death at this point. If they want comics that tie into Thanos's MCU appearance they already have the Infinity Gauntlet saga.
    Well, Thanos is the big baddie of the next two major Marvel movie proprieties (Avengers and GotG), so, in their minds, they have to milk and overpromote him as much as they can, even to the point of readers actually getting sick of him. It's the new Marvel way. I don't think (or, at the very least, I hope) they won't use the Infinity Gauntlet yet again, but Thanos will probably find another galaxy shattering cosmic weapon to use.
    On the positive side, since I skipped AvsX and will in all probability skip AoU, I'm game for a big crossover event. Plus, unlike AoU, which will reflect it's own continuity, appearently (as Bendis is prone to do), this will appearently be a nice way to get in touch with many of the Marvel NOW teams and books that I'm not following (as long as they keep it fairly self contained, for I don't intend to follw tie-ins). Plus, I hope Jimmy Cheung is on full art duties. A company-wide cross-over event done entirely by him is a dream come true. IMHO, something akin to George Perez doing COIE almost thirty years ago.

EDIT: The more I think about it the less enthused I am with Marvel as a whole. Just...*sigh*.
    Unfortunately, Have to say I know exactly how you feel. It's like I've been saying, Marvel is no longer in the good story telling business. It's in the promoting marketable proprieties business. Any good story that comes out of this is pure fringe benefit. Too bad for those of us that are in it just to read good storys. We are poorer for it.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Plus, I hope Jimmy Cheung is on full art duties. A company-wide cross-over event done entirely by him is a dream come true.
    Agreed, IF they Absolutly Require there too be a back up artist on it, it can ONLY be Olivier Coipel, mabye Jerome opena, but hopefuly he will be drawing hickmans avengers book that will most likely be tiying in to this, OMG would love the see Thanos by Opena SO much

I love Thanos Stories, but seriously? Do we need two major events this year(that's not including the rumored Spider-man event, and the probable X-men one)? Wouldn't a Thanos story, a major Thanos Story, be better served near the release Date of Avengers 2, or maybe just towards the end of the year?Also based on that Cover, are those the titles that are crossing over with it, or just the cast who'll be featured? So many questions! I'll read this, and I'll probably love this, but you know. Still.
    Edit: Wait Jim Cheung is drawing this(and possibly the event itself)? Oh god, I'm all in.

I'm very excited about this. Nobody but Starlin has written Thanos dialog properly. I think Hickman can do it.

BANNED

OK, Question, how is Thanos going to stand Against Captain Universe?
    he is Powerful, but not THAT powerful, OMG WHAT IF THANOS BECOMES CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Plus, I hope Jimmy Cheung is on full art duties. A company-wide cross-over event done entirely by him is a dream come true. IMHO, something akin to George Perez doing COIE almost thirty years ago.
    As much as I want this to happen, I'd be shocked if it did. It took something like a year-and-a-half to get out Children's Crusade, and that was nine issues. A twelve issue maxi series like Crisis on Infinite Earths would require multiple inkers and finishers at the very least. Judging from the last few events, Marvel seems to prefer it all happening over 6-months or less. My guess is that it will happen like AvX and AU, OR it will be a short miniseries like Siege or New Avengers: Illuminati.

Say you wanted Cheung to do a 12 issue series. I'd first take him off covers and get a painter to do it instead. Make it feel special with an artist everyone knows won't be doing interiors. Then, I'd look for sequences or entire issues that are framed in such away that a secondary artists can take over. It should be an A-list talent, but also someone with great stylistic difference from Cheung so that it all feels deliberate to the reader. No one wants to feel like they're getting a fill-in or a rush job. You'd have to do at least 3 issues like this to get Cheung's workload down to 9-issues. And even then, I still think it'd take a full year to get the book out; and I'm presuming he started work on this not too soon after completing Children's Crusade and his AvX covers...
    $3.99 IS TOO MUCH FOR A COMIC!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by devilburiedfossils View Post
    I'm very excited about this. Nobody but Starlin has written Thanos dialog properly. I think Hickman can do it.
    Yes it was a clone Thanos, but i Think Dan Jurggerns Wrote a Very Good thanos in his Thor Run

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    I think it's too soon for another mega event.

Marvel should have given its NOW program at least a year to breathe.

Heck, Age of Ultron is coming in March throw in this "mega event" and it just seems like over kill.
    I do agree that I would've preferred it if they'd focused on making sure NOW! is a success (long-term) first then maybe bring in an event after a bit. Heck if they HAD to have an event this year then at least do it a bit later in the year like say September?. Still having said all that I am interested in the Thanos and AOU stories so I'll be getting those especially since they're 2 of my favourite villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsipat View Post
    I love Thanos Stories, but seriously? Do we need two major events this year(that's not including the rumored Spider-man event, and the probable X-men one)? Wouldn't a Thanos story, a major Thanos Story, be better served near the release Date of Avengers 2, or maybe just towards the end of the year?Also based on that Cover, are those the titles that are crossing over with it, or just the cast who'll be featured? So many questions! I'll read this, and I'll probably love this, but you know. Still.
    Edit: Wait Jim Cheung is drawing this(and possibly the event itself)? Oh god, I'm all in.
    Yeah I'd have thought it'd make more sense to do a Thanos event closer to the Guardians movie but what do I know lol?