Default What Did You Read - February 2013

New month...

Elephantmen v0: Armed Forces - Good stuff still - if a little over-decompressed. In general I don't like it when books use thick paper because my shelf space is limited, but these books just look so nice on the shelf that I'll fogive it.

Sachs & Violens - Peter David exploring (and having a little fun with) the connection between sex and violence. Decent enough story. The art from George Perez though is by far the worst I've ever seen from him. The nasty colouring takes a lot of the blame, but even after that, this is nowhere near to Perez's usual standard.

Fallen Angel Omnibus 2
    - The final volume of Peter David's book. Decent stuff, but not quite up to the highest points of the series.

Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead - Written and painted by Steve Pugh based on a much shorter script that Warren Ellis wrote years ago. By far the best art I've ever seen from Puch. The story didn't grab me much though.

[QUOTE=dancj;16580703]
    Sachs & Violens - Peter David exploring (and having a little fun with) the connection between sex and violence. Decent enough story. The art from George Perez though is by far the worst I've ever seen from him. The nasty colouring takes a lot of the blame, but even after that, this is nowhere near to Perez's usual standard.
    [B]
    [QUOTE]

Loved that series when it originally came out, but I agree about Perez's art. While I enjoy his work as a whole, there was something about this particular series. I am not sure if it was the coloring, inking, etc.

I'm working my way through DEADPOOL: MAX right now. It's the oversized HC so it's got 19 issues in it and I'm up to #13 I think. It's more or less what I expected, lots of over the top violence and mayhem. I like the use of the existing MU characters sprinkled in there, especially the ones from DP's past. If you like Kyle Baker's art he's really nailing this too.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I think my Deadpool knowledge is limited to a Cable/Deadpool story in one of those Marvel event spin-off TPBs. I thoroughly hated that and it has somewhat put me off Deadpool.

That said I do really like Dave Lapham and Kyle Baker so I am feeling a little bit drawn to Deadpool Max.

My latest batch:
    Incognegro - I coincidentally got this book on what appears to be Black History Month in America so I read it straight away. I'm always a bit wary of books like this which deal with serious issues like racism because they have a danger of being a bit worthy - usually at the expense of being enjoyable. I didn't need to worry here though. The story is a good enjoyable mystery with a final couple of pages that made me laugh out loud. Very good stuff.

Birds of Prey: Metropolis or Dust - The first and sadly only Sean McKeever story on the title. It's a shame his run got cut short, because I really enjoyed this.

Charley's War v6: Underground and Over the Top
    - As always, this is an excellent book in both story and art - and this book ends with a lead straight into the next volume - which luckily I already have!

Wonder Woman (Simone v1): The Circle - I enjoyed this book - though TBH it was the Khund storyline that grabbed me more. I'm not sure I really like the whole secret identity set-up that Diana has going here, but Simone does good work with it.

Wonder Woman (Simone v2): Ends of the Earth
    - Neither of these stories grabbed me that much. Not bad, but nothing special. Some badly placed lettering had me reading the balloons in the wrong order a couple of times - but I think that might be more down to the artist not giving the letterer a good place to boot the balloons than anything else.

Wonder Woman (Simone v3): Rise of the Olympians - Easily the best of the bunch - and probably the best Wonder Woman story I've read (which admittedly isn't saying much). It's a nice big epic story handled very well by Simone and the artists.