Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Overrated, hardly. Unlike a lot of crap Batman graphic novels that get unjustifiably lauded as masterpieces, Planetary in it's own way is easily one of the greater singular stories to ever come out of the genre, specifically by incorporating, celebrating, and twisting old tropes of comics and making them fresh as well as relevant to the overall story structure. This is a book that requires both thought as well as a moderate understanding and knowledge of past comic book history to fully appreciate what is being represented. If one is looking for a book with an empty character with nothing but smarty quips or slugging violence, then one would be disappointed, but if one is looking for one of the smarter comics that have ever been published, this is one to read.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 02-05-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I read the first issue for free and didn't like it. I don't really like Ellis' writing, it strikes me as very cold. The only thing I have read by him that I really liked was his Thunderbolts (Marvel), which was ridiculously entertaining.

If I were to write down my initial response to the thread title I'd be serving a hefty ban. Needless to say I strongly disagree, Planetary is a series I Read often. In fact the only graphic novel I read more often is V for Vendetta. For me it's a masterpiece and I honestly struggle to think of a series that manages to pull off such a consistently high level every issue.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I read the first issue for free and didn't like it. I don't really like Ellis' writing, it strikes me as very cold. The only thing I have read by him that I really liked was his Thunderbolts (Marvel), which was ridiculously entertaining.
    I know "coldness" is the most common criticism of his work, but I've gotta say, taken as a whole, Planetary is one of the warmest works in the medium. Transmet, too.
    I rule me.

It was that way in the first issue on purpose. There is a very important reason as to why the characters come across like that initially, and it is explained progressively throughout the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviates View Post
    If I were to write down my initial response to the thread title I'd be serving a hefty ban. Needless to say I strongly disagree, Planetary is a series I Read often. In fact the only graphic novel I read more often is V for Vendetta. For me it's a masterpiece and I honestly struggle to think of a series that manages to pull off such a consistently high level every issue.
    I just laughed. To place such a question on arguably one of the greatest comics ever, well....sadly funny.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I still love the series and hold it in high regard simply because Warren Ellis is such a measured story teller and John Cassidy's art was so original. The characters were unique. I actually find it an easier read than the League of Extraordinary Gentleman, but Moore doesn't give anyone a break.

The ending didn't payoff like it could but as survey of imaginary realms, top notch I thought. would love an absolute edition and cash to buy it!
    Last edited by Coyote2010; 02-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    would love an absolute edition and cash to buy it!
    Yah, I would love for the entire series to be placed in one hardbound edition. There is a sold out two book HC that came out ages ago but costs a fortune.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by Deviates View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Then you should like his Nextwave.

http://www.amazon.com/Nextwave-H-T-E...0098602&sr=1-1

As for Planetary, it's my favourite Ellis book, followed by Transmetropolitan, Global Frequency and Freakangels.

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    I always suspected.

BANNED

Lol.

I need to read Nextwave.

I hold Planetary in very, very high regard. It is my favourite comic of all time. I own all the single issues, the first 3 softcover TPBs and I am waiting for the 4th TPB to come out in softcover. IMO, if I ever want anyone to read a comic with the hope that it will lead to that person becoming a comic book reader and fan, I'd give them Planetary each and every single time!
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    I am waiting for the 4th TPB to come out in softcover.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Planet.../9781401223458

Done & done!
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

I would say it was underrated. It was comic book for grownups. How many comics can you read multiple times and still enjoy? The art was constantly great and the stories were so good I hated to see it end. Unlike the Authority it never let you down and it ended as good as it began. I miss it but I hope they never try to reboot it.