Default REVIEW: Batman and Robin Annual, #1

In "Batman and Robin Annual" #1, Peter
    Tomasi, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes take
    Bruce Wayne on a scavenger hunt that retraces
    a trip that his parents took decades ago, while
    another mystery unfolds back in Gotham.

Full review here.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Can't really argue with any of it. I thought it was a bit harsh but the end summed it up pretty well. The stuff that was good blended well with the other parts that were done right, to make a very enjoyable story.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the art issues (Gleason was sorely missed), but overall, it's "pluses" more than make up for any "minuses," especially when one of those critiques is Damian speaking to Titus (as the audience). A boy and his dog are often "partners in crime," and it worked quite well, to me.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Personally loved this issue. "Stupid sun. Go down already."

...there comes a point where it's really a waste of tme to take something such as this issue as seriously as the review did.

"The Gotham sequences are further weakened by Syaf's fight scenes. He plays with unusual panel layouts that end up being more disorienting and distracting than exciting."

Who the $*@% cares? This issue was just such light hearted, enjoyable fun, there's no point to dissect it.

I haven't read this annual yet, but man, lot of people dislike Syaf's work. Especially when he was on Batgirl, but that was an abysmal coloring job and everyone looked like puddy against his pencils. Perhaps that is what's going here.

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments on my review.

FHIZ, I see that you were annoyed. For the record, my editor at CBR really enjoyed "Batman and Robin Annual" #1 and if another reviewer had selected this book, they might have given higher stars.

I did try to get across in my introduction and conclusion that I thought "Batman and Robin" #1 was was worth picking up and that it was a story that most everyone would enjoy, but I could not bring myself to give it 4 or more stars, even if a lot of things were done really well.

I was an art & art history major, so bad anatomy is not something where I can just look away and say "La la la." Writing a review is a waste of time if I'm a happy cheerleader and don't bother re-reading carefully and taking apart the good and bad, or if I'm not as honest as possible. And I thought the flaws were big enough to warrant calling out, but I can understand if other people think they they didn't detract THAT much from the story.

Where we really disagree is on your other point -- I think anything worth consuming (including cartoons, comics, scifi and fantasy, kids' books, pop culture, stand-up comedy, whatever) is worth taking really @*#&#*@&! seriously enough be examined by someone, somewhere, even if no one wants to read the analysis (and I'd understand that, since I disliked reading analyses of some of my favorite books in high school).

Side note: I am surprised that when I finally get this feedback that I'm taking things WAY too seriously, it's for "Batman and Robin" and not for my kinda harsh, straight-faced review of "My Little Pony" #1 or reviews of "Adventure Time."

Again, thanks for reading, everyone!

I don't really see anything wrong with 3 1/2 out of 5, I mean I would have went with 5 out of 5 but 3 1/2 is still pretty darn good.

While I don't see the art in the art as being an issue, I can understand how it could for someone with the reviewers background.

I think the only issue I had with marking it as 3.5 out of 5 - aside from disliking half stars in general - is that it seems like 4 stars is the norm for a "good" comic and anything less is below average.

I understand different reviewers will hand out stars differently, and I think this should count as a 7 out of 10 comic. It just seems that 4 and above stars seem to get handed out pretty readily so for a fun issue like this, it's tough to swallow that it was not a "good" issue.

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

This issue happened to be my favorite of the week and just as Jennifer, understandably so, zeroed in at times on the art aspect, I zeroed in on the father/son aspect, my own dad battling cancer and myself being in the profession I've been in and knowing how hard it is to juggle that life with a child.

http://www.nerdtopiacast.com/2013/02...-day-issue-27/

As I wrote in the review:

"When I first saw this book on the schedule, I was surprised since virtually all of the Batman related books, including Batman and Robin, are currently embroiled in the Death of the Family event and this one was very clearly not a tie-in. But what it was wound up being a fantastic issue, at once both touching and fascinating. The story revolves around Damian Wayne sending Bruce on a scavenger hunt around Europe while he stays in Gotham, cleaning up the streets in his own Batman costume. The items Bruce gets are all connected to his deceased parents and are of great sentimental value, and Damian as Batman is outstanding, the young boy doing his best to prove his worth to his father and to remind him of the importance of family. This one especially struck me because while I’m not Batman (well, not yet, but there’s still time…), I know well what it’s like to put myself on the line fighting crime, and being called to work on nights and weekends and holidays and not always being around for family, and that’s hard to move away from at times. Now, with a daughter who wants to do everything with me and that I do, I recognize how much more valuable my time is with her and this issue had the perfect blend of humor, action, and emotion to not only win the best issue of the week, but possibly of the entire month of January."

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_Cheng View Post
    Where we really disagree is on your other point -- I think anything worth consuming (including cartoons, comics, scifi and fantasy, kids' books, pop culture, stand-up comedy, whatever) is worth taking really @*#&#*@&! seriously enough be examined by someone, somewhere, even if no one wants to read the analysis (and I'd understand that, since I disliked reading analyses of some of my favorite books in high school).
    I couldn't agree more. If it were any different, any simpleton could just make their "product" be "lighthearted enjoyable fun" and they'd all be very good. Why should anyone get bonus points for aiming lower than somebody else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enjoyable.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	121465

Yes. Yes it was enjoyable. Okay, it did have a filler air and the action scenes were somewhat lacking but the story flew by and I even forgive Bruce for not surprising or saving Damian in Gotham for the logical reason he gave. I was never a big Damian fan since his intro but he has had his endearing moments now and again - and this issue had THREE of them! Those gifts he gave Bruce are priceless! The nightly adventures of Batboy in played out nicely, with the exception of some arrest choreography and the annual actually put Det.Pierce on my radar for a return appearance.