Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm honestly surprised that no one has yet mentioned the most obvious clue about Merrymaker being Dr. Meredith; his costume. He's dressed like a doctor form Europe in the Middle Ages/Renaissance, which was a dead giveaway to the man under a mask being a doctor. It's funny that people will over analyze his name and other factors, and miss such an obvious detail like that.

Another great issue from the team of Layman/Fabok. I'm really enjoying this run of Detective Comics!
    - Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Haha. Worst mystery ever. Figured out who MerryMaker was at page 3. Was kind of hoping it would be a red hearing because it was really wayyy too obvious.
    I agree. Wonder if that was intentional on Layman's part or not. In any case it really affected my enjoyment of this story. I liked the backup better.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I agree. Wonder if that was intentional on Layman's part or not. In any case it really affected my enjoyment of this story. I liked the backup better.
    I can't see how it wasn't intentional. It was just so utterly obvious. Anyone who has watched enough movies would have figured it was him for many reasons.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Not a massively complicated reveal or anything, but this was a well-told tale, and I can respect that. Fabok got a little squirrely in places, but nowhere near the extend other artists do. Clarke is always sharp to look at. The very ending twist was kind of funny. And I'm still far more interested in the hubris tale of Emperor Penguin.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I can't see how it wasn't intentional. It was just so utterly obvious. Anyone who has watched enough movies would have figured it was him for many reasons.
    That's true but I guess I must read far to many mysteries or something because it always bothers me when the I can make the connection between the "bad guy" and his alter ego (or when I can figure out who-done-it) so quickly as happened here and that makes the story less enjoyable for me. YMMV. To be honest with you I've been lukewarm with Layman on this thus far and this doesn't help me warm up to him at all.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

I didn't really think this was intended as a mystery. It was pretty clearly the Dr.'s story from the beginning.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Good issue. Nice to have a morsel of a story like this with future implications.

Every new character does not require a 4 part story as an introduction.

Layman's Tec is starting to work for me.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Yeah, but at the same time, he doesn't do anything within the story with the fact it was incredibly obvious. It's really seems to be played out as if we were not supposed to realize right away, with Batman wondering who it might be and all that. I mean, why even hide the fact it was him? It's not played with, it's no commented on, it's not lampshaded....It's just a done by the book "who is the mysterious villain" story where the answer happens to be very easy to find. It's not very problematic, but it's kinda weird.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

I was disappointed in the "ex-wife"/personal enemies reveal. A visually striking character narratively struck down.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, but at the same time, he doesn't do anything within the story with the fact it was incredibly obvious. It's really seems to be played out as if we were not supposed to realize right away, with Batman wondering who it might be and all that. I mean, why even hide the fact it was him? It's not played with, it's no commented on, it's not lampshaded....It's just a done by the book "who is the mysterious villain" story where the answer happens to be very easy to find. It's not very problematic, but it's kinda weird.
    The "done by the book" nature of the run so far is what I'm finding to be problematic for me and the blatantly obvious villain in this particular story doesn't help matters any. I think if I had been enjoying the run overall I wouldn't be so annoyed by this and may have even found it amusing in a campy sort of way. I really want to be able to enjoy the whole book since all the right elements are there but I'm frustrated that I've really only been enjoying the backup stories here and not the main feature.

BANNED

Which is why it made Bruce come off as a complete moron.

Really undermined the story's credibility for me that Batman took as long as he did to suspect that it might still be Merideth. I mean, "World's Greatest Detective?" lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Which is why it made Bruce come off as a complete moron.

Really undermined the story's credibility for me that Batman took as long as he did to suspect that it might still be Merideth. I mean, "World's Greatest Detective?" lmao
    That's pretty much how I felt about it.

I'm not bothered by the utterly obvious "mystery" in this issue, but it could've been better. I have to say I'm enjoying this title more than Snyder's Batman.

I'm glad we never got a bloated,pretentious mystery,for once Batman used his detective skills and actually succeeded now THAT is Batman not the loser in the "other" book.

If it was Snyder's Batman here he would've been"nah it cant be Merideth cause Merideth is dead,I'm sure of it"

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I'm glad we never got a bloated,pretentious mystery,for once Batman used his detective skills and actually succeeded now THAT is Batman not the loser in the "other" book.

If it was Snyder's Batman here he would've been"nah it cant be Merideth cause Merideth is dead,I'm sure of it"
    ... you mad about something bro?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    ... you mad about something bro?
    Nope,YOU mad about something?