Default New 52: Action Comics and Detective Comics - Did I get the concept right?!

In the New 52:

Action Comics/Detective Comics are delivering background stories and a stronger focus on building the legacy.

Superman/Batman are the issues where the main storytelling, the main events and main chronology happen.

Did I get the concept right?

Not really...

There is no difference between Batman and Detective Comics other than creative team. Typically the most popular creative team (in terms of sales) is responsible for the main direction of the line, so since Scott Snyder's Batman is so popular, that's the unofficial "main" title of the Batman line, and Detective Comics has been sort of a supporting book.

Action Comics is currently telling stories about Superman from his past New 52 history, while Superman takes place in current day New 52. Action Comics #19 will bring that title back into current day New 52, and from there on, there will be no difference between the two titles other than creative team.

It's kinda confusing so I can't blame you for being a little perplexed.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Yes and no.

AC is set in the past and creating background but it really has been the flagship of the Superman line until the H'el crossover.

'Tec is set at the same time, since it is the DC namesake I think the way it was treated was a travesty. It has been a lot better recently, but there is no doubt that all the money and support is behind Batman. 'Tec is supposed to be just another point of view about Gotham, we hope it won't be background anymore.

The real key to knowing what the publisher loves with this restart is seeing who is allowed to write the big villains. No one wrote anything about Lex while Morrison was writing AC, and the Joker was off limits until Snyder got to build the character.

AC and DC were pretty bad lately (for my taste), so I am looking for reasons to skip them. I am not willing to pay $4 for some background stuff.

Actually Action Comics does take place in the present day and Issue #19 Andy Diggles first issue will go back to telling stories that take place before the present

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
    Actually Action Comics does take place in the present day and Issue #19 Andy Diggles first issue will go back to telling stories that take place before the present
    Do you have a source for that? Cause I don't think you're right.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Do you have a source for that? Cause I don't think you're right.
    Actually Grant did say post "#13-14" will take place in the present day in a comic book resources interview a few months back.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

I wish DC had been about a younger Batman the way AC was about a younger Superman. Younger, no robins, less experienced, fewer gadgets, more mistakes, fewer super villains. That would be the one I would buy, and even if you wouldn't you have to admit it wouldn't just be a redundant title like the current DC is.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman2978 View Post
    Actually Grant did say post "#13-14" will take place in the present day in a comic book resources interview a few months back.
    But this guy is saying the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by net06 View Post
    I wish DC had been about a younger Batman the way AC was about a younger Superman. Younger, no robins, less experienced, fewer gadgets, more mistakes, fewer super villains. That would be the one I would buy, and even if you wouldn't you have to admit it wouldn't just be a redundant title like the current DC is.
    Actually, DC has done tons of stories like this over the years.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by net06 View Post
    DC had a book like this. it was called Batman confidential and it got cancelled 3 or so years ago.
    Reading: GL, GLC, JSA, Hellblazer, Booster Gold, Jonah Hex, Doom Patrol, Supergirl, Powergirl, Transformers, Vengeance of the Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    But this guy is saying the opposite.

Actually, DC has done tons of stories like this over the years.
    Oh. OK. I just misunderstood the post.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by mal-adjusted View Post
    DC had a book like this. it was called Batman confidential and it got cancelled 3 or so years ago.
    And before that there was Legends of the Dark Knight. Pre-Robin with no yellow oval. With the relative consistency of the Batman character over numerous reboots, these still are pretty much in character.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by mal-adjusted View Post
    That's too bad, I didn't read comic books till the 52.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx