Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default Why isn't The Flash talked much?

The Flash is one of the most iconic superhero to comic fans.He's an old character with decades of history and he started the silver-age.As you can see,he's important.Despite this,The Flashed isn't talked about much.I maybe seen a few threads but that's it.Why don't people talk about The Flash?Is he too boring and there's not much to talk about The Scarlet Speedster?

I would say even Wonder Woman is better treated than The Flash.That's saying a lot since WW has been treated like shit but she's getting her own t.v show and got an animated film.What does The Flash have going for him?Zit, nothing, NADA!.
    Or maybe The Flash just sucks?

Thoughts?

Flash does not suck! It has been very consistent in its awesomeness. The story have been a slow burn in a way, but really full of action and richness in the characters. I think some people are still just upset it is not Wally West. Personally I remmeber Flash before him so I have an open mind. People should definitely be talking about this book!

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

So far, the Flash is the only new 52 comic I've bought every issue of, and this from a guy who grew up with Wally West as the Scarlet Speedster. I still miss good ol' Wallace, but for me Flash has been the most consistent, pure superheroics monthly out there.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

The Flash has always been a steady character; never quite first tier but not really second banana; I think ILoveVibe is right that most of the current fans want to see Wally West. I personally prefer Barry, the Wally I remember most is the buffoon Wally from Justice League Europe; I just reread the Trial of the Flash Showcase not too long ago.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

There's just not that much to talk about, I guess...

It's a mediocre book, not really bad, not exceptionally good. Leaves little subject for discussion.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post

It's a mediocre book, not really bad, not exceptionally good. Leaves little subject for discussion.
    Agreed, although I think the artwork is worthy of discussion the book itself hasn't been a knockout. Some issues have been fantastic, others have been average at best.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

Master of All I Survey

I enjoy Barry Allen very much. As for the series, I think the art remains "meh." Too cartoony, IMO, and the colors look like watercolors. A very poor choice for a costume that screams off the page when done right.

But I think the new Barry suffers from a lack of continuity from his pre-Crisis self. Johns made significant changes that break this Barry from the past Barry. Big unnecessary mistake, I think. Look at what Johns has accomplished with Hal Jordan--and in no small part to the decision to establish his status quo as the way we always remember him. Barry doesn't enjoy that same popularity. This Barry's not in the same situations and relationships. So it's more that we don't know the people around him. Not that it's bad. It's just different. What's the point in bringing him back if everything's different? I think those decisions stole a lot of thunder from Barry's (not triumphant but deflating) return.

Barry Allen was the Flash I grew up with, but I did not mourn his loss in the original Crisis. I thought his death was heroic and poignant. I also was a fan of Wally as his successor. I did not want Barry to come back from the dead. It was a step backward in my opinion. The Flash: Rebirth series was a failure in my eyes.

All that being said, I'm enjoying Barry now more than I ever have before. The artwork is beautiful, and while the story could stand some improvement, I am overall very satisfied with the series and it's updating of the Rogues. However, I'll admit, I am not super excited about this series. It's sort of like a comfy sweater now. I know I'll enjoy it, but it's not the best out there.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post

Which perhaps goes to show why "gimmicks" are important to get attention - if a book is consistently good there's nothing to talk about and so nobody pays attention.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    Which perhaps goes to show why "gimmicks" are important to get attention - if a book is consistently good there's nothing to talk about and so nobody pays attention.
    Pretty much it. When a book is consistently good and enjoyable with little controversy about it, no one really talks about it. How short would those Wonder Woman issue discussion threads be if they didn't have the same three or four people complaining about it for pages and pages every month?

I agree, it's a good, fun, enjoyable read every month. There's not too much to say about it.

Its not talked about much because its a good book. One of the best in the new 52 so far.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    I guess any line needs that type of books - steady sellers, raising no real waves, just doing what they set out to do. In Flash's case, I'm not complaining, really. It's been an enjoyable read with groundbreaking artwork, and it's been turning a profit, so no reason to fix what ain't broken.

Flash is a great title right now. And he is a great character.

Quote Originally Posted by Self-DCeit View Post
    I guess any line needs that type of books - steady sellers, raising no real waves, just doing what they set out to do. In Flash's case, I'm not complaining, really. It's been an enjoyable read with groundbreaking artwork, and it's been turning a profit, so no reason to fix what ain't broken.
    Except that since nobody is talking about it, people who might enjoy it but haven't tried it don't have anything brought to their attention, or given any reason to give it a try.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.