Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

junesdisco misinterprets:

I'm 23 and live at home (I graduated from college a little less than two months ago and have been job-searching) and honestly, those of you telling the OP to move out, you don't know everyone's situations. It's not exactly simple for everyone.
    Some of us, at least, are suggesting moving out as a solution to the specific problem. But it's not like we're saying "Move out right now, you loser!" It's more, "some of this will be resolved by no longer being under your parents' roof". Whenever that may be.

Frankly, even though I moved out when I was 18, we still had to have "the talk" about me being an adult and making my own decisions in my early 20s.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

It's this one which I guess is more adorably funny but I seriously nearly passed out I was laughing so hard in the comic store:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef1b6212-81e5-4042-9992-1e3cea0fbcbd.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	108241

I don't even know okay.

That made me laugh so hard in RL thank you so much for sharing!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Frankly, even though I moved out when I was 18, we still had to have "the talk" about me being an adult and making my own decisions in my early 20s.
    I'm not really up to that stage yet, but I imagine letting your kids make their own mistakes (or what you might think of as mistakes) must be the hardest damn part of the job. But it's also the most important.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by junesdisco View Post
    It's this one which I guess is more adorably funny but I seriously nearly passed out I was laughing so hard in the comic store:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef1b6212-81e5-4042-9992-1e3cea0fbcbd.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	108241

I don't even know okay.
    That is beautiful.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Spike-X notes drawbacks:

I'm not really up to that stage yet, but I imagine letting your kids make their own mistakes (or what you might think of as mistakes) must be the hardest damn part of the job. But it's also the most important.
    It was really weird for me. I was "the baby" and although my father constantly stressed self-reliance, my mother seemed to think she had the right to constantly tell me how to run my life without my permission (even going so far as to do things behind my back "for my own good"). The conflicting messages made me finally bring it all out in the open. Actually, it was mostly with my mom, as my dad was on my side. I sometimes think she thinks I'm an ungrateful brat for such behavior, but geeeeeez, ma!
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

insect of destiny fly on the wall's Avatar

I started getting shit about reading comics when I was eight; some of the big kids in the neighborhood thought I was too old for comics. It bothered me that they felt that way but I knew I would keep reading comics. Nothing was as fun as reading comics.

As I got older I would hide my comic hobby from people knowing they would not approve but whether they approved or not I knew I would keep reading comics. I enjoyed reading comics more than the company of people who did not approve of them. I never told anybody to fuck off or mind their own business. I never said anything in defense of my hobby, I just kept reading them.

My father was incensed about my reading comics and was always on my case about it. I said nothing but I knew I would continue reading them. I didn't care a thing about his opinion about comic reading except that he might finally just forbid me from reading them. That never happened. My mother took him to see a shrink about my comic habit and the Shrink told him that he should be glad that his son's hobby was reading.

The other kids in the neighborhood would make fun of me reading comics but when they came over to my house all they wanted to do was read comics.

As I got older other people would make fun of me reading comics so I attempted to hide it as best I could but not for a minute did I ever consider giving up comic books.

Now I do not try to hide my comic book habit and no one seems to care anymore. They really are too expensive now, it cost me about 150 dollars a month and it's not like I'm buying everything. But I still have no desire to give up comic books. If someone doesn't like them I don't say a word to them but other people's opinions have never had anything to do with whether I read comic books. And it no longer bothers me if someone tells me I shouldn't read them.
    fly on the wall

"A watched pot never boils unless you have heat vision."

--Anonymous

Fly! You're still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Some of us, at least, are suggesting moving out as a solution to the specific problem. But it's not like we're saying "Move out right now, you loser!" It's more, "some of this will be resolved by no longer being under your parents' roof". Whenever that may be.

It's something that happens throughout life. When I was 45 and wanting to change careers to teaching, my parents were against it and raised all kinds of objections.

The cool thing about being an adult is that you can ignore what they have to say.

insect of destiny fly on the wall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    Fly! You're still alive!
    And still reading comics without a thought to stopping!
    fly on the wall

"A watched pot never boils unless you have heat vision."

--Anonymous

My parents and some of my friends were the same way to me. Always bitching about money I made and how I spent it on comics. I also had friends who bought comics too. I always liked that my money went towards something physical and that I had something to show for it. Over the years, I've sold stuff and made money on my hobby. But, I never let comics overtake my life where someone involved in it suffered or that I went without. I spend about $100 on books, but I have a house, wife, child and a very nice(to me)comic book room that I really cherish. To each his own, but you are at a point where what they think should not matter. Just don't let your passion for it it hurt your life and you'll be okay. I've known people who spent so much a week because it was like money burned a hole in their pocket.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

Sounds like your Mom is mad with you about something else and the comic thing is an excuse to throw daggers at you. Are you just collecting comics? Or are you telling people you want a career in it? Because that might sound crazy to people around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Start buying Tarot comics. That'll get them off your back.

Seriously. The right collection of cheesecake comics - from Zenescope or Aspen or whoever - will make all your problems go away.
    All personal taste, but this advice is horrific. Tarot is great, Jim is a hell of an artist and writer. At the very least, the art in Zenoscope's books is much more rushed and from far less experienced artists. Also man this that's a random post.

But anyways, aspiring not to sweat the small stuff is a good way to live life. Tough to pull off, but yeah, friendship really has nothing to do with if they get what comics you like.
    DROKK IT!!

I think that was a humorous attempt at the situation.

Agreed. Who else is going to enjoy comics with you? Family? No, maybe a sibling at best. Friends? No maybe someone barrows a few books. Co workers? No you want to make money and separate the two, making money and spending money. No one is going to look at your comic reading as a positive.

We, unfortunately, are the only ones who accept the behavior. Not only do I enjoy reading comics, I think about them in my free time, I work titles in a running change of
    buying order, i do have a few friends that read them as much as I do, but they owe me money and try and avoid me.

I'm pretty sure Arvendor had his tongue firmly in cheek. It's widely acknowledged that Tarot is an awful piece of crap.
    'Dox out.