Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Batman Event Checklist: DEATH OF THE FAMILY

Death of the Family is a major storyline beginning OCTOBER in BATMAN 13 - 17, with tie-in issues in various Batman related titles.

The tie-ins are NOT part of the main story line. They are self-contained side stories that expand on supporting character roles in the main event. You won't need to read them to understand the core storyline however they are a great way to sample new books and characters.

Tie-ins and reading order

OCTOBER
    BATMAN 13 Return of the Joker
    Batgirl 13 Prelude: conclusion of Batgirl Knightfall arc
    Catwoman 13 Prelude: conclusion of origin story

NOVEMBER
    BATMAN 14 Where is Alfred?
    Batgirl 14 Barbara fights for her family
    Catwoman 14 Caught in the Jokers trap
    Suicide Squad 14 Harley's reunion

DECEMBER
    Detective Comics Guest starring Poison Ivy and Clayface
    BATMAN 15 A family meeeting
    Batgirl 15 Time for a wedding
    Suicide Squad 15 Harleys reunion
    Batman and Robin 15 Damian VS The Joker
    Nightwing 15 Joker strikes Haleys circus
    Red Hood and The Outlaws 15 Jason Todd VS The Joker
    Teen Titans 15 Titans VS Outlaws guest starring Batgirl

JANUARY
    Detective Comics 16 The Court of Smiles
    BATMAN 16 In Arkham Asylum
    Batgirl 16 Married to the Joker
    Batman & Robin 16 Damian killed by the Joker?
    Nightwing 16 A circus in flames
    Red Hood and the Outlaws 16 Teen Titans crossover
    Teen Titans 16 Outlaws and Titans team up against Joker

FEBRUARY
    Detective Comics 17 Fallout from DotF: The Court of Smiles
    BATMAN 17 Final Showdown
    Batgirl 17 Fallout from DotF: James Gordon Jr
    Nightwing 17 Fallout: a new life for Dick Grayson
    Red Hoods and the Outlaws 17 Fallout: Bruce Wayne and Jason Todd, heart to heart

So what's it all about?...

He crippled Batgirl. He killed Robin. What will The Joker do next? And what must Batman do to protect his secret identity and that of those who fight alongside him?

This October, one of the most notorious villains in comic book history is making his return in the DC Comics New 52. The Joker will come out of the dark in a horrifying, unnerving, and huge way. And the grave consequences of his reemergence will be felt by not only the Bat-family, but by all of Gotham City.
    Basically, the Joker decides the other members of Bat Family "weaken" Batman so he targets them one by one. Also, he has no face. It was cut off back in Detective Comics #1 (he has not been seen since).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder, Batman writer
    This is my big exploration of the Joker, my Arkham Asylum or The Killing Joke, only bigger in scope. Bottom line: it's the biggest, baddest, most shocking Joker story I could tell. This is Joker completely unleashed. He has been away for a full year planning this revenge, watching, plotting, setting things up. And now he's back. He has his traps set, his knives sharpened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lobdell, Red Hood writer
    There will be fall-out for the next six months. Yeah, yeah, you have heard a thousand times before that "this event changes everything!" Well, let's meet back here in six months and you'll be stunned how much this event really did change everything!

Above are special die-cut covers for Batman 13, Batgirl 13 and Catwoman 13 in October, Suicide Squad 14 in November and Detective Comics 15, Batman & Robin 15, Nightwing 15, Red Hood & The Outlaws 15, and Teen Titans 15 in December. The covers will come standard on these issues.

The most recent arc in the Batman series is The Court of Owls, also by ongoing creative team of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, which ran from issues 1-12. The arc is considered a critical and commercial success and was well received by fans. It is currently available in trade as Batman Vol.1: The Court of Owls (collecting 1-6) and Batman Vol.2 The City of Owls (7-12) due in MARCH, along with an extra book, Batman: Night of the Owls collecting various Bat Family tie-ins (Batman 8-9, Nightwing 8-9, Batman Annual 1, All Star-Western 9, The Dark Knight 9, Batgirl 9, Batwing 9, Birds of Prey 9, Nightwing 9, Batman & Robin 9, Catwoman 9, Red Hood 9)

The Court of Owls is not required reading for Death of the Family - you can start fresh at Batman 13.

Previews
    Batman 13 Batman 14 Batman 15

More info in
    The Return of the Joker
    Snyder Gets Under Joker's Skin
    Lobdell on Death of the Family
    Jokers Eight Way Revenge - Robot 6 article

in my opinion this will be much better than the owls crossover for two main reasons

the first is that everyone (arguably catwoman and damien not as much) has a history with the joker, as opposed to the talons. joker knows them, and has done terrible things to the family (crippling batgirl, even killing jason todd/red hood) he can get at each of them on a personal level, and by himself is much more dangerous than the court of owls as a whole.

the second is that (correct me if im wrong, this is going off of memory) every title has at least two issues tying in. with two issues, as opposed to just one, you can really tell a story instead of just "heres the bad guy, fight!" it allows for a better flow and overall a better story than one issue would allow.

im not saying that because of these reasons you have to buy every one, im just saying that you may want to consider picking up more than the main title if you can afford it. regardless of naysayers, im remaining very optimistic about this story arc, and plan on getting all of them (im subscribed to two of the titles anyways, and ive liked most of what ive read from the others involved)

i also am super pumped about the die cut covers, and my life will not be complete until i have at least the batman, nightwing, red hood, and teen titans ones, but the rest are super cool too

I am pretty excited about this. One of my main complaints about the new DCnU is the overall lack of classic villains so far. The Joker is at the top or near the top of that list IMO.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

this is going to be siiiiiiick

There is a digital Death of the Family Preview here:http://www.readdcentertainment.com/D...omic/DIG002237

Quote Originally Posted by Superchino View Post
    this is going to be siiiiiiick
    Correct.

I LOVED this issue. Couldn't put it down. Bought it in multiple formats. Reckon this will be an amazing arc.

does anyone have a good reading order for this event???

List in first post is a reading order

Default Newb Question about Batman Arcs / Death in the Family

So to this day I've only read Batman tpbs to get more of a back story on the characters before going into the current arcs, and I'm kind of lost as too how we're suppose to follow the arcs, for example. I skimmed through the Court of Owls wiki page and it says that the arc ties in with over 10 comics, so could somebody please explain how this works.

I guess you mean following the arcs as they're released in the monthlies? (I'm a little confused since you mention the Court of Owls which ended several months ago, so is no longer "current").

Really, it depends on the arc and how its structured. Some storylines, for example, take place in different series wherein Part 1, for example, will be in an issue of, say, Detective Comics while Part 2 will be in Nighwting, Part 3 will be in Batgirl, and the finale in Part 4 occurs in Batman. If you're going issue by issue, usually it will say at the end of one issue where the next part of the story will be located. A crossover like this is occurring over in the Superman comics with the H'el on Earth storyline.

The recent Scott Snyder arcs like the Court of Owls and the current Death of the Family, however, are different. The main storyline occurs exclusively in the pages of the Batman monthly series. This is all you need to read to get the main story itself. In addition to this are tie ins. These are issues in other series that tie in to the story arc in some way, but are not integral to the storyline. They may tell an event from a different perspective, or give more time to a specific character's experiences during the story or something of that fashion. Usually these tie ins are not required to understand or enjoy the main story and are typically meant just as additions to that story. It can vary, though, how much they relate to the main story. Some tie ins are important enough that they could be included in the main story, while others barely have anything (if at all) to do with the story arc it ties into. It depends. Usually there's a checklist in the issues themselves (and certainly online) that will give you a reading order and release list for these.

Hope that helps.
    Ginkasa Reviews Everything*
    Current Review: Xenogears

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I guess you mean following the arcs as they're released in the monthlies? (I'm a little confused since you mention the Court of Owls which ended several months ago, so is no longer "current").

Really, it depends on the arc and how its structured. Some storylines, for example, take place in different series wherein Part 1, for example, will be in an issue of, say, Detective Comics while Part 2 will be in Nighwting, Part 3 will be in Batgirl, and the finale in Part 4 occurs in Batman. If you're going issue by issue, usually it will say at the end of one issue where the next part of the story will be located. A crossover like this is occurring over in the Superman comics with the H'el on Earth storyline.

The recent Scott Snyder arcs like the Court of Owls and the current Death of the Family, however, are different. The main storyline occurs exclusively in the pages of the Batman monthly series. This is all you need to read to get the main story itself. In addition to this are tie ins. These are issues in other series that tie in to the story arc in some way, but are not integral to the storyline. They may tell an event from a different perspective, or give more time to a specific character's experiences during the story or something of that fashion. Usually these tie ins are not required to understand or enjoy the main story and are typically meant just as additions to that story. It can vary, though, how much they relate to the main story. Some tie ins are important enough that they could be included in the main story, while others barely have anything (if at all) to do with the story arc it ties into. It depends. Usually there's a checklist in the issues themselves (and certainly online) that will give you a reading order and release list for these.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks dude, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Default Death of the family arc question

This is actually more of a general story arc question. as a noobie comic book reader - the death of the family arc seems kind of daunting. a little because of the cost - but mostly because of how many books there are.

i just started getting comics about 4 months ago - 1 issue before the death of the family started. so i have been buying the whole arc cause i want to get the full story. however. catwoman mostly sucked, batgirl is ok, suicide squad was friggin awful, but batman is AWESOME. I will probably end up getting the whole arc anyway and just hoping that the next couple batgirl are good suicide squad becomes ok and the rest are good.

the big question though - is this how arcs normally are? if so i dont want to get involved with them anymore. the justice league is just starting a "throne of atlantis" story arc where its 3 aquamans 3 justice league. that i can get into. just 3 books i wouldnt normally get. but i already have 12 books on my pull list, i dont want to be picking up another 7.

and if it is how arcs normally are... is it worth it to keep up with buying them? the batmans ive read like 4 times a piece and love those, but the rest i have literally said "eh" bagged and boarded them and tossed them in my box after 1 read.

so yeah... can you guys help me out or is this just something that everyone is dealing with?

Big help is that the non-Batman (as in the comic) issues are just like what we old ones used to call "*Red Sky" crossovers. They are largely insignificant to the main story in said Batman Comic.

*The Red Sky crossovers came from the Crisis On Infinite Earths maxi series from 1985-86, where a comic to be tied into the series would only have to have a red sky which indicated the coming end of the then Multiverse to qualify.

I honestly think that the comics need to have a "important"/"Unimportant" heading to clarify which are vital to the crossover. I know that the superfluous comics tied into Final Crisis was a big reason why I've largely left comics behind.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joshthor View Post
    This is actually more of a general story arc question. as a noobie comic book reader - the death of the family arc seems kind of daunting. a little because of the cost - but mostly because of how many books there are.

i just started getting comics about 4 months ago - 1 issue before the death of the family started. so i have been buying the whole arc cause i want to get the full story. however. catwoman mostly sucked, batgirl is ok, suicide squad was friggin awful, but batman is AWESOME. I will probably end up getting the whole arc anyway and just hoping that the next couple batgirl are good suicide squad becomes ok and the rest are good.

the big question though - is this how arcs normally are? if so i dont want to get involved with them anymore. the justice league is just starting a "throne of atlantis" story arc where its 3 aquamans 3 justice league. that i can get into. just 3 books i wouldnt normally get. but i already have 12 books on my pull list, i dont want to be picking up another 7.

and if it is how arcs normally are... is it worth it to keep up with buying them? the batmans ive read like 4 times a piece and love those, but the rest i have literally said "eh" bagged and boarded them and tossed them in my box after 1 read.

so yeah... can you guys help me out or is this just something that everyone is dealing with?
    Don't buy any of the tie ins they will just be a waste of money. Just read the main Batman title by Snyder and Capullo. Its completly self standing and you don't need to read any of the other books to understand the story. Same goes for all the other crossovers, they are just trying to steal your money.