Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Christian Bale and Joseph Gordon Levitt - right for Batman?

Joseph Gordon Levitt- I personally think he's the wrong choice to play the dark knight. He's a great actor, but wrong for Batman. He's 31, but he looks like he's 23. Batman shouldn't look young (unless Dick is wearing the cowl). Batman should be in his early thirties at the youngest and look like it. To me, Bruce Wayne should always have mature good looks akin to those of James Bond. He should look like a man, not a boy. Also, JGL has the same problem that Bale has. He's far too thin to be batman. Sound off. Do you think JGL would be a good Batman?

Default Do you think Christian Bale was a good Batman?

Christian Bale - I'd have to say absolutely not. Bale was the thing that kept me from loving Nolan's movies. His physique was wrong for Batman. Batman shouldn't have lean muscle. I've always thought Batman should have a powerful build. He's described as being 6'3" and anywhere from 210 to 215 lbs of muscle. He should be built like Bas Rutten was in his prime. Bale is muscular, but he's too lean. his chin never looked right in the suit either. His fighting style was extremely stiff and had no variety whatsoever. Batman's style is a mixture of long and short range fighting styles with grappling and weapon styles thrown in. Bale's style was clunky and awkward. His stance was no stance at all and he paused too long between techniques. He never kicked higher than his belt and his punches were slow. He also did very little joint manipulation. Then finally, there was his voice. Dear Lord, that voice. I firmly believe that Kevin Conroy has the best voice for Batman. It's deep, quiet, and edgy. He doesn't say much, but what he says has a cold, quiet strength too it. That being said, Bale's voice is perfect...for freaking Killer Croc! It's trying to be threatening, but it just isn't. It sounds stupid. It sounds like Bruce eats rocks and broken glass. That's just my opinion though. What do you guys think of Bale?

The only reason JGL can't is the looks that you mention. His hair is not dark enough, and he's not nearly big enough either.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

JGL as Bruce Wayne? No
    Dick Grayson/Todd/Drake? yes

First Robin,second Batman nightwing1124's Avatar

The make-up crews could make him look older. They did the same thing in the movie looper. He would be a great person for batman. I agree Bruce Wayne would take a lot of special effects, but I think he can pull it off.

He's got too much of a babyface to be a credible Wayne/Batman, in my mind.

But that makes him perfect for Dick Grayson, the guy that everyone loves.

Bale was not perfect, but the best live action Batman we ever had. By a wide margin.

Have you ever noticed how in the comics Bruce Wayne and Batman have completely different body types? You can't really do that in films.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I haven't noticed that. I always though Bruce explained his muscular form by saying he's a workout freak. Also, I like Keaton better as Batman than Bale. Keaton was intimidating.

JGL would make a great Dick Grayson. If they were to give Nightwing his own movie, I'd go with him. I'd even take JGL as Terry McGinnis in a Batman Beyond movie.

Bale was the best Batman, both physically and as an actor. Although I thought Bale might have been too big myself.

In the real world, a Bas Rutten type would be too heavy and too slow (maybe too weak in the joints as well) for the physicality that being a superhero requires. I'd say Stephen Amell is a good choice for a superhero. Someone like The Rock wouldn't handle it.

Aside from the voice, I thought Bale was a great Batman. The fighting style could have been a little more fluid but for someone wearing a cape like Batman's it would be tough to to be jumping around; So, I liked the movie's style of fighting for the most part. I also don't like the overly bulky Batman as it just looks too heavy, so Bale had the right physique, in my opinion. I really dislike the voice though, it makes sense, a little, but if you got Conroy making what he did work then they could have Bale do something similar.

No. He was not a good Batman or Bruce Wayne.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Bale is a tremendous actor, and I actually appreciate what he tried to do with the gravelly voice. I just feel it went over the top and became a caricature of itself. He did portray a very believable Batman, though, and there was nothing about him that made me think "well, that could never be the Dark Knight". So yeah, I'll second carabas and go for best live action Batman by a wide margin.

I am, of course, referring to the first two films. No idea who he was supposed to be playing in TDKR.
    Last edited by Self-DCeit; 02-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I think looking at it in it's completion, what Bale/Nolan did was take the spark of the Bruce Wayne/Batman in the comics and told their own unique story with it. That's why it feels so different from the one we get in the comics, because they took him in directions they wouldn't necessary be able to in normal stories.

The voice...the problem wasn't so much the gravelly voice so much as it was Bale emoting with that voice. It works when he's threatening thugs, but when he's trying to get through to Harvey to stop him from murdering one of Gordon's children, it just doesn't sound right. I think in terms of voice, Conroy still beats them all, because his Batman voice had just as much variances and tones as a regular voice, while still making it distinct from his Bruce Wayne voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderboy771 View Post
    He would make a great Dick Grayson. If they were to give Nightwing his own movie, I'd go with JGL. I'd even take JGL as Terry McGinnis in a Batman Beyond movie.
    Yeah what he said. I don't see it happening with the JL/Batman reboot coming up, though, which is too bad...since JGL will probably have changed too much to play a Grayson/McGinnis type by the time that era wraps up.