Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    As established in Action Comics #484, the Earth-Two Superman had no Superboy career. I place the earlier Superboy stories on what I call "Earth-1.5," a catch-all for the Atomic Age material that fits neither the Earth-One or -Two continuities.

Cei-U!
    I summon the artful arbitrariness... arbitrary artfulness... oh, whatever!
    Mark Gruenwald published a one-shot fanzine in the late 70s called Omniverse which showed the evidence that another DC universe existed besides Earths 1 & 2. My copy is buried in some box right now but it was a fun and thoughtful read which helped get him hired professionally by Marvel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revista-omniverse-genesis-del-continuity-nerd-L-ob7jiV.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	108416

Quote Originally Posted by spoon_jenkins View Post
    Consider this the equivalent of a "How's my driving?" bumper sticker.

I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on review format. Would you like do shorter plot summaries? Spoiler tagged plot twists? Grades? I've avoided grades/ratings because sometimes these are apples to oranges comparisons. But if folks would like to see that, I can give it a go.
    I'd rather you include the cover, if possible. That's what'll set off my memories. After the first few issues of my reviews, I've been using www.coverbrowser.com, which has been working quite painlessly.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on review format. Would you like do shorter plot summaries? Spoiler tagged plot twists? Grades? I've avoided grades/ratings because sometimes these are apples to oranges comparisons. But if folks would like to see that, I can give it a go.
    It would be difficult to rate these stories, unless you did so in terms of pure entertainment. Many of them are hard to evaluate as stories. Someone commented that Weisinger-era stories aren't so much stories as summations of stories.

I find it interesting that Weisinger started crossing the Legion over in Supergirl. Perhaps prior to those stories he was already getting some sense of the group's fannish following, and thought he could use it to bolster the comparatively new Supergirl feature.

Work and real life intervened, but I'm back with another recap.

Adventure Comics #290
    “The Secret of the Seventh Super-Hero”
    By Robert Bernstein & George Papp
    November 1961

Reprint: Read the b&w reprint in Showcase Presents LOSH vol. 1.

Plot & Comments: Tom Tanner, a juvenile delinquent, who looks like Clark Kent, stows away on a freight train to Smallville. Tom pretends to be Clark, fooling Ma Kent.

Meanwhile, Clark goes to investigate a Legion time bubble in a field. Sun Boy meets Superboy, explaining that he is there to collect the six components of a super-weapon that was hidden in the past by the Legion, who know realize the weapon could be discovered by a 20th century criminal. Superboy assembled the six components.

Meanwhile, Tom impresses Lana with the new assertive “Clark”. Superboy notices the impostor. Ma Kent accidentally mentions that Clark is Superboy, not realizing she is talking to Tom.

Sun Boy has assembled the weapon, a cyclops robot with a ray that turns good people evil (and vice versa). He sends the robot to transform Clark, but it mistakenly transforms Tom. Superboy approaches Sun Boy. He is able to melt the robot and capture Sun Boy because they don’t realize he is still good.

Superboy takes “Sun Boy” to the future where he reveals him to be an impostor in front of the Legion (including the real Sun Boy). Superboy knew the fake Sun Boy was an impostor because he didn’t know the Legion handshake. Back in the present, Tom agrees to return to reform school and turn his life around.

Comments: Although the Tom Tanner plot might cheesy, it’s pretty good. It’s one of the best so far. We also have two impostor sub-plots.

It’s nice to see more Legionnaires being used in a story. And we see that the creators are willing to reuse a previous reject (Sun Boy).

It’s sort of funky that no one bats at eye at Tom’s change coming through an attack by the robot rather than a genuine change in character. It should be said, though, that he did seem to be interested in the Clark Kent lifestyle before the change. And what could they do, change him back just on principle?

Legion Lore: The three founders appear along with Phantom Girl, Chameleon Boy, and Brainiac 5.

Aside from Supergirl, Sun Boy is the first Legionnaire depicted as being a member after previously being rejected.

The Legion meeting is said to take place on Xanthu (previously identified as Star Boy’s home planet), rather than on Earth. Star Boy, however, does not appear in this story.
    Last edited by spoon_jenkins; 02-15-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."
    - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, April 1979

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

You're doing fine, I'm enjoying these. The suggestion above to include covers is a good one though.
    Meh!

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

I also am am enjoying these. I used to have most of these stories (and all of the Adventure issues from when the Legion was the lead feature of the book) in their original printings, but sold those long ago in order to get through college and grad school without a ton of loans, but haven't' read most of them since that time. This thread is giving me strong feelings of nostalgia, and reminding me just why I was a huge LSH fan for most of my life until finally giving up for good post-ZERO HOUR.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

Adventure Comics #293
    “The Legion of Super-Traitors”
    By Jerry Siegel, Curt Swan & George Klein
    February 1962

Plot & Comments: The police chief radios Superboy about a plane in danger. Instead of saving the plane, Superboy decides to wreck it. However, Krypto saves the plane and is spun around by an angry Superboy. A remorseful Clark tells Ma and Pa he almost killed the plane passengers and Krypto.

The three Legion founders arrive with a device to view the Phantom Zone. With Superboy, they see criminals and Mon-El. Superboy realizes it’s a trap by the Legion to release the Zone criminals. The Legionnaires attack Superboy. A quartet of floating alien brains reveal that they have been controlling both Superboy and the Legionnaires. They are plotting to move Earth out of its orbit.

After Krypto scares the brains away, Saturn Girl theorizes the brains can’t control animals. The Legion travels through time to recruit Streaky the Super-Cat (from Supergirl’s time), Super-Monkey (from Super-Baby’s time), and Super-Horse from Supergirl’s future.

The Super-Pets, accompanied by the Legion, defeat the brains. The boys return the time-displaced pets, while Saturn Girl revives Superboy. She refuses to explain how the Legion won because doing so would reveal the existence of Comet the Super-Horse to Superboy.

Comments: A pretty good story. The Legion of Super-Pets is the type of oddball Silver Age touch I like. It’s interesting that Comet is given a “preview glimpse” here before ever appearing in a Supergirl story.

Once again the Legion is pitted against Superboy, but the way it’s handled is more effective.

But the most fascinating part of this story is the depiction of Saturn Girl. She is clearly depicted as the Legionnaire who figures out that animals are immune to the mind control, and assembling the Super-Pets from throughout time is her plan. She speaks to Superboy one-on-one. She not just the token girl; she shows leadership and intelligence. The female Legionnaires thus far haven’t been portrayed as damsels in distress. They don’t have the rampant character flaws one sees in the portrayal of Lana Lang.

Legion Lore: The time bubble is called a “time cabinet”. I don’t think the “time bubble” name has been used yet.

Mon-El appears in an actual Legion story for the first time. His first appearance didn’t mention the Legion.

First appearance of the Legion of Super-Pets! Comet and Beppo are referred to as simply Super-Horse and Super-Monkey. It’s Comet’s first appearance.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

Action Comics #287
    “Super-Girl’s Greatest Challenge”
    By Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
    April 1962

Plot & Comments: Supergirl has Legion bookends that light up when the Legion wants her. She travels to the future, where Lightning Lad, Bouncing Boy, and Sun Boy appear on 3-D TV. Supergirl has been called to the future to help with the threat of the Positive Man. Positive Man was a scientist who transformed when the “doomsday bomb” he was building blew up his planet.

Supergirl exits the Legion’s spacecraft and uses a negative bird created in the same accident to destroy the Positive Man. Supergirl and the spacecraft return to Earth. The Legion have lost their powers, seemingly due to the positive versus negative explosion. Supergirl agrees to cover for the Legion, so criminals don’t realize the Legion has lost its powers.

Supergirl meets Whizzy, a telepathic descendant of Streaky the Supercat. Supergirl uses her superpowers to simulate the Legion’s powers. Back at Legion headquarters, shapechanging aliens (Chameleon Men) reveal that they took the Legion’s place while Supergirl was battling the Positive Man. The impostors lacked the Legion’s powers. The impostors send Supergirl and Whizzy to the Phantom Zone.

Supergirl has Whizzy use his telepathy to get a robot factory to create a robot Chameleon Man. The robot release Supergirl and Whizzy from the Phantom Zone. They promptly defeat the Chameleon Men and free the Legion.

Comments: The Silver Age stories are sometimes thought to be “innocent” compared to the gritty stories of later eras. But I’m surprised at how often these stories describe significant violence without depicting it in a detail. The Positive Man destroyed his own planet before the story begins. Then, we see a populated planet explode from out in space. I imagine this was inspired by nuclear fears, but psychological trauma of the massive death toll isn’t addressed.

The negative creature looks a bit like the fiery manifestation of the Phoenix force from X-Men comics.

Despite their name and powers, the Chameleon Men don’t look anything like Legionnaire Chameleon Boy.

Legion Lore: The three founders appear, along with Bouncing Boy, Chameleon Boy, Sun Boy, and what appears to be Triplicate Girl.

Bouncing Boy follows in Sun Boy’s footsteps as a Legionnaire not selected to the team in Action #276, who is subsequently shown to be member.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I'd rather you include the cover, if possible. That's what'll set off my memories. After the first few issues of my reviews, I've been using www.coverbrowser.com, which has been working quite painlessly.
    Sorry, I'm pretty clueless. I can't seem to get the insertion of images to work.

Action Comics #289
    “Super-Man’s Super Courtship”
    June 1962

Plot & Comments: Supergirl sees her adoptive parents watching a movie on TV about a bachelor who fails to propose and ends up alone. This inspires her to try to get Superman married off.

Supergirl leaves a note for Superman at the Fortress of Solitude and then travels back in time to visit Helen of Troy. In an arena, Supergirl saves the people from monsters. Helen is about to turn her thumb down to condemn the person who release the monsters to be killed by Supergirl. Supergirl uses her super-breathe to blow it to a thumbs-up instead. Supergirl realizes Helen in not right for Superman.

Supergirl then decides they will travel to the future to set Superman up with Saturn Woman of the Adult Legion. It’s Christmas and Superman kisses Saturn Woman under the mistletoe. An angry Lightning Man reveals that Saturn Woman is his wife.

Superman says he’d wanted to marry someone like Supergirl, but laments that he can’t because it’s illegal on Krypton. Supergirl then discovers an adult duplicate of herself on the planet Staryl. Superman falls in love with the Superman, whose secret identity is Luma Lynai. However, they break off the romance when it is discovered that she loses her powers under a yellow sun. After another failure, Supergirl resolves to stop match-making.

Comments: I’m not incredibly knowledge about the Superman family during the Silver Age. While I knew that Supergirl had been known as both Linda Lee and Linda Lee Danvers, I’d never seen the Danvers family. I didn’t even realize she had adoptive parents who knew of her dual identity. It’s a nice change, because she’s so forlorn in the earlier stories.

Superman hitting on a teenage Supergirl and then falling in love with an alien counterpart of Supergirl is a little creepy. Make that very creepy. How did they come up with that? Did fan mail from Silver Age “shippers” demand to see every possible pairing explored? It’s funny that Superman is politically correct enough to note that cousin marriages are okay in some cultures, but illegal on Krypton.

Legion Lore: The marriage of Lightning Man and Saturn Woman is the first indication we’ve been given that they are a couple. In fact, it’s the first Legion couple we’ve seen.

Adult Legionnaires beyond the three founders are depicted: the adult counterparts of Phantom Girl, Chameleon Boy, and Sun Boy.

The Adult Legion is from 1000 years in the future. I forgot to note that the last Adult Legion story (versus the Legion of Super-Villains) was erroneously described as taking place in the 21st century.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

It’s funny that Superman is politically correct enough to note that cousin marriages are okay in some cultures, but illegal on Krypton.
    No point in alienating the Southern fan base. (I've noted before that my dad's parents were first cousins.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Sorry, I'm pretty clueless. I can't seem to get the insertion of images to work.
    Here's what I do: I put the cursor over the image I want, right-click, and select "Copy Image Address." Then, I go back to CBR (where I've already started my review) and click the icon that looks like a tree inside a picture frame--it's next to the two frames of film. A pop-up box appears. Click "From URL," right-click inside the text box, and select "Paste." The URL from coverbrowser.com should show up. Unclick the check box and click OK, and you should be all set!
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Action Comics #289
    “Super-Man’s Super Courtship”
    June 1962
    Heh. I just reviewed the same issue on my review thread. Some of my observations:

-The adult Legion of Super-Heroes appears, and Lightning Lad is married to Saturn Girl--a wedding that would not happen in continuity for 15 years! I'm not sure if the Adult Legion had already appeared by June of 1962 or if this constitutes a first appearance of sorts.

-Personally, I find Superman's statement about who he would marry, as well as his immediate attraction to Supergirl-lookalike Luma, to be just tremendously creepy. In fact, he acted a little out of character at several times this issue. Maybe it was one of his robots, trying to prove some bizarre kind of point to Supergirl???

Anyway, I'm glad we were both freaked out--indeed, we both used the word "creepy." Given Superman's stated opposition to a "kissing cousins" romance, that one panel where Superman is chucking her chin just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Dan, I have first cousins in my ancestry, too, though further back than in yours (1700s, if I recall correctly).
    --best spam ever

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Dan, I have first cousins in my ancestry, too, though further back than in yours (1700s, if I recall correctly).
    What I love -- I've mentioned this before, too -- is that my first-cousin grandparents had twin daughters (two sets, actually, but the younger girls didn't survive childhood), who in turn married twin brothers. Their respective kids (all boys) must be pretty darned close on the genetic chart. It's as if they were venturing into Triplicate Girl territory there, except with males. And there were four of them (3 in one family, 1 in the other). So ... Quadruple Boy?
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 02-20-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Heh. I just reviewed the same issue on my review thread.
    Oh, cool. I lurk on your thread at times, but I had read it in a few days. I think you reviewed the second Brainiac appearance around when I reviewed the first Braniac 5 appearance. And those stories were published around the same time I think, which surprised me. I thought Brainiac 5 came along after Brainiac was a more established character.