Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

Default Can you convince me to read Hawkeye?

Right now I read only two comics from Marvel, Daredevil, and Captain Marvel (well, three if y'count Frank Cho's Savage Wolverine, which I'm reading more for Cho than Logan). Comments on DD seem often to mention this (DD) in favorable comparison with Hawkeye. I've never much cared for the character, but, as with much things Marvel, that was then, now could be different. I like character-driven/centered stories, don't mind issues 'lacking' fight scenes, need good, speakable dialogue almost more than good clear artwork! So take a look at the list in my signature, and let me know if you think the current Hawkeye series is for me. Thanks!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Just pick it up bud, i normally ask this and don't get much help but if you want to read it why ask? I'm sure you'll love it.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

The book does all the convincing it has to do.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Would saying that the royalties of Hawkeye 7 are all being donated to Hurricane Sandy relief be enough to convince you to check it out? Yeah, I know that's kind of cheating... but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Pick up #1. See if you like it. You probably will.

Don't worry, no-one really likes Clint, but thanks to Hawkeye, we all now kinda love him. He's still an idiot, but he's our idiot.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Book rules. I would also say that Fraction is hit or miss and this is 100% hit. He does killer work on this book.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

Reason #1) DAVID freakin' AJA on art
    Reason #2) Great dialogue. Fraction at the top of his game.
    Reason #3) it's different than the average super hero comic. It's pulpy fun. You could make a comparison to 70s crime film/TV show too.
    Reason #4) great cast including Kate Bishop, real human characters and Russian tracksuit wiseguy "Bro"s..plus a dog and a car
    Reason #5) a real world type of hero, self deprecating red blooded dude. This is a Clint Barton book, not necessarily a Hawkeye book.
    Reason #6) all the cool kids are doing it, and you don't want to be left out...again!
    Reason #7) you get to wear that old purple tee shirt buried deep in a drawer/closet with a new level of pride
    Reason #8) it is only 2.99

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Pick up #1. See if you like it. You probably will.

Don't worry, no-one really likes Clint, but thanks to Hawkeye, we all now kinda love him. He's still an idiot, but he's our idiot.
    Hey man, I like Clint. I've aways been a fan of the arrogant, brash, powerless knucklehead. This book has style and lots of it. Really couldn't ask for more from this book.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Reason #7) you get to wear that old purple tee shirt buried deep in a drawer/closet with a new level of pride
    best reason of all!

Based on your list, Hawkeye is right up your alley. Way character driven, great dialogue. I'd honestly be happy just to watch Clint try to assemble the sound system for his tv for an entire issue.

Plus the art is clean, and well edited. It does some very smart things with layout that aren't loud and splashy (this isn't a loud and splashy book) but you'd be crazy not to appreciate.

go buy it! help with Sandy relief!

If you like sophisticated, design heavy graphic storytelling coupled with some great scripting, then Hawkeye is the book for you. I think it's Marvel's best book at the moment, and only Daredevil comes anywhere close.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Umm I can't believe there is actually a thread asking if someone should read Hawkeye.

The answer is one million percent yes! Just pick up the book you will like it.

*Witty User Title Here* linkspirit97's Avatar

Try and find someone to convince you otherwise.

No you shouldnt, its terrible........
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development