Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default where to start? X-Men and Avengers

    my main goal is to catch up to the current X-Men/Avengers and i have NO CLUE where to start, my friend gave me:

    Uncanny X-Men 1-544
    Avengers 0-402
    Avengers vs X-Men
    New Avengers 1-12



    my goal is to catch up to the current issues and i just dont know where to start, there is a BUNCH to read so any help will do.

  2. #2
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14,592

    Default

    Your friend gave you all those comics?!?
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

  3. #3

    Default

    yea, they are cbr files, i have been talking to him about reading comics again and he randomly gave them all to me about a month ago

  4. #4

    Default

    Umm..wow. Ok.

    If I were you I wouldn't even bother, catching up with continuity is less important then just reading a good story. If you aren't enjoying the story then it really doesn't matter. Google "Avengers or X-Men greatest stories" or check out various reviews to see what the best stories are so you can skip over the bad ones. That is how I got started on Batman.

    If you just want to start at the Marvel Now titles, that's fine too. You can pick up Hickman's Avengers or New Avengers with no problem. With X-Men, I'd actually recommend quickly reading over Grant Morrison's and Joss Whedon's run to get you familiar with some of the characters. After that it doesn't matter. I know the current Uncanny Avengers and Uncanny X-Force will go back and address stuff that happened during Remender's Uncanny X-Force run last year and Brian Wood's Marvel Now X-Men run is a continuation of what he did last year in X-Men 30-37. Both runs are highly recommended, they are very good reads. All New X-Men doesn't require any prior knowledge, Bendis does a good job filling you in.

    Last thing is, please don't come to the forums and admit to reading pirated comics. I know you're not the only one that does it, and yes I've done it with older runs of comics from back in the 80's and 90's but don't be so blatant about it. Some people have a real problem with others that do that. If read over those issues and enjoy X-Men, Avengers or anything else and plan on reading more, please support the creator. The comic industry isn't doing that great as is.
    Last edited by Voss; 02-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member timeismoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Memphis
    Posts
    4,563

    Default

    May the force be with you.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxima423 View Post
    my main goal is to catch up to the current X-Men/Avengers and i have NO CLUE where to start, my friend gave me:

    Uncanny X-Men 1-544
    Avengers 0-402
    Avengers vs X-Men
    New Avengers 1-12



    my goal is to catch up to the current issues and i just dont know where to start, there is a BUNCH to read so any help will do.
    Your friend gave you almost 1000 comics? I don't believe that.

  7. #7
    Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    I'd recommend not reading any of those and just get caught up with whats going on now with the Avengers and the X-Men in their Marvel NOW! series.

    All-New X-Men is only at issue #6 right now with #7 about to come out next week and Uncanny X-Men starts the week after with a new #1.

    The Avengers are at issue #4 now in their series with issue #5 coming out next week.

    If your a new reader honestly don't worry about having to read anything prior to Marvel NOW!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Umm..wow. Ok.

    If I were you I wouldn't even bother, catching up with continuity is less important then just reading a good story. If you aren't enjoying the story then it really doesn't matter. Google "Avengers or X-Men greatest stories" or check out various reviews to see what the best stories are so you can skip over the bad ones. That is how I got started on Batman.

    If you just want to start at the Marvel Now titles, that's fine too. You can pick up Hickman's Avengers or New Avengers with no problem. With X-Men, I'd actually recommend quickly reading over Grant Morrison's and Joss Whedon's run to get you familiar with some of the characters. After that it doesn't matter. I know the current Uncanny Avengers and Uncanny X-Force will go back and address stuff that happened during Remender's Uncanny X-Force run last year and Brian Wood's Marvel Now X-Men run is a continuation of what he did last year in X-Men 30-37. Both runs are highly recommended, they are very good reads. All New X-Men doesn't require any prior knowledge, Bendis does a good job filling you in.

    Last thing is, please don't come to the forums and admit to reading pirated comics. I know you're not the only one that does it, and yes I've done it with older runs of comics from back in the 80's and 90's but don't be so blatant about it. Some people have a real problem with others that do that. If read over those issues and enjoy X-Men, Avengers or anything else and plan on reading more, please support the creator. The comic industry isn't doing that great as is.
    okay sorry, i didnt mean anything by it, i just wanted to ask a question, thanks for the advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Your friend gave you almost 1000 comics? I don't believe that.
    he did, its all cbr files so i have it all in a external hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by infinitEEntropy View Post
    I'd recommend not reading any of those and just get caught up with whats going on now with the Avengers and the X-Men in their Marvel NOW! series.

    All-New X-Men is only at issue #6 right now with #7 about to come out next week and Uncanny X-Men starts the week after with a new #1.

    The Avengers are at issue #4 now in their series with issue #5 coming out next week.

    If your a new reader honestly don't worry about having to read anything prior to Marvel NOW!
    okay thanks, i actually want to read Avengers vs X-Men, seems interesting, thanks for the tip =)

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxima423 View Post
    he did, its all cbr files so i have it all in a external hard drive
    I hate to say this but if your friend gave you over 1000 comics in .cbr format for free then I'm pretty sure he pirated them. Think about it. even if each comic he downloaded from comixicology or whatever website he bought them from were .99$ that would be over $900 dollars worth of comic and he gave it to you for free. that's fishy. I would say be careful because that many comics could be tracked by the f.b.i. unless it really is legit then bravo you have a lot of comics lol.

  10. #10
    Drunken Pig Spaced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Start with the new NOW #1s, you don't really NEED to do any catching up. As the stories progress you should get all the information required to follow what's going on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •