BANNED

Default General Zod idolized by character in "Suits."

So I'm watching Suits (USA Network show about lawyers) and one of the characters, Louis Litt, goes on about how General Zod was a great visionary and respected by everyone in his planet and how he wants his interns to "kneel before Zod."

Is Zod that iconic or did Warner Bros. just make a deal with USA Network to hype up Man of Steel?

Honestly, I really think it's just that Terence Stamp's Zod is that iconic.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

The show has a lot of lines with references to comic-book characters, especially Batman/Bruce Wayne. Also Louis is such a nerd.

BANNED

Yeah but everyone knows Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Zod is also known. and the phrase "kneel before Zod" is a classic thanks to Stamp an Superman II.

BANNED

Eh that still feels scant to me, especially the whole "he was revered by everyone on his planet, of course I know Zod."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Eh that still feels scant to me, especially the whole "he was revered by everyone on his planet, of course I know Zod."
    I don't think Warner begin right now to promote Man Of Steel. Maybe the episode's writer is a fan (he's not Geoff Johns, right?). For example, in the British series "The Fades" they often talk about Alan Moore.
    Last edited by the Sun God; 02-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    My problem was he wasn't surprised the hot redhead knew Zod.

BANNED

Oh yeah how did I forget to bring that part up.

She's the best legal secretary in the city, of course she's going to know

(sorry, I'm a few episodes behind)

Suits didn't just idolized General Zod. They made reference to the greatest villain - Lex Luthor, they joked about a secret identity and referenced Clark Kent, the lead guy also asked his grandma "Anything else you haven't told me? Like, I'm secretly an alien from Krypton"
    If you haven't notice, the "villain" in the show is called Louis Litt. Sounds awfully like someone working in daily planet.
    This show is produced by Universal production, so theres nothing to do with WB. Its likely that the writers are fans and having pop culture references is part of the show. They also reference lots of movies between conversation. Superman and Batman also get referenced a little more because they are so iconic that it makes they can make subtle references to Superman and Batman without sounding like a nerd. However, its harder to reference avengers or x-men because when you think about billionaire playboy or time displaced war hero, you don't really think about Iron Man or Captain America. I guess Marvel just don't really create much mythology around their characters because they try to ground them in reality and when theres no mythology, theres hardly any space for pop culture reference. But in DC, the way to get to the top is to create as many mythologies as possible. Krypton, Kandor, Kryptonite, Fortress of Solitude, Daily Planet, Smallville, Phantom Zone, Man of Steel.
    Last edited by nightrider; 02-01-2013 at 05:12 PM.

The show references a lot of movies by quoting lines from famous movies (The Godfather, Rocky, The Highlander, etc.) with the main characters (Harvey, Jessica, Mike) saying lines to each other. Superman shouldn't be any different from the others.

While I'm sure Louis saw the movie I don't really see him as a comic book reader (currently).
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

BANNED

I understand all that, I just find the detailed Zod reference to be beyond just "pop culture." Knowing Kneel Before Zod might make sense, but knowing Zod well enough to idolize him as a "visionary" just seems kind of baffling to me. Not to mention, Donna's line "You know who Zod is?"

And Louis isn't "the villain," he's way more complex than that, and he's shown to be a good guy deep down.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Was Zod even important in the SUPERMAN mythos until Terence Stamp portrayed him in the Donner SUPERMAN movies? I know the character has Silver Age comics origins, but he didn't seem to be an important player in the overall mythos until the films greatly increased his profile. He certainly wasn't threatening Luthor, Brainiac, or even Myxlpltk as Superman's archenemy in the comics.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Well Supernatural had a New Gods reference,Dean mentioned boom tubes.