Default Black History Month: Black comic book writers at the Big Two

Hey, guys, there's an appeal from a guy who is trying to compile a list of Black comic book writers who have done at least one superhero issue for either Marvel or DC for Black History Month. So far, his list is skewed towards newer comics from the '00s, but I figure if anyone can help, it's the crew around here. Here's the link:

http://4thletter.net/2013/01/each-on...-brothers-out/

I've come up with Samuel Delany (Wonder Woman), Ron Wilson (Marvel Comics Presents), and Billy Graham (co-writer with Englehart on Luke Cage, Hero for Hire).

I was considering starting a Black History Month comic creators thread as well. I have some students digging for obscure Black History facts, and I thought delving into comics would be fun.

In fact, I clearly recall someone posting gobs of images and info about a black writer and/or publisher who tried to launch his own line of African American heroes back in the 1950s, but I can't remember who posted this info nor what thread it occurred in. I've been looking everywhere!

I realize this is slightly off topic from what you're asking for, but it seemed related enough not to start a new thread.

Of course any list of black comic book writers would be incomplete without Dwayne McDuffie. Also worth mentioning some of the other Milestone creators/artist/writers; Denys Cowan, Derek Dingle, Christopher Williams and Jamal Igle to name some. Is that the same Samual Delany that wrote Babel-17 (one of my all-time fav books)? Greg Rucka is another worthy mention.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I was considering starting a Black History Month comic creators thread as well. I have some students digging for obscure Black History facts, and I thought delving into comics would be fun.

In fact, I clearly recall someone posting gobs of images and info about a black writer and/or publisher who tried to launch his own line of African American heroes back in the 1950s, but I can't remember who posted this info nor what thread it occurred in. I've been looking everywhere!

I realize this is slightly off topic from what you're asking for, but it seemed related enough not to start a new thread.
    It would absolutely be cool if this turned into an appreciation/celebration thread. I started it because someone posted the link in the "Minorities and Comics" thread in the Community Forum, and I thought it was a worthy idea, even if I don't necessarily agree that writing superheroes for the Big Two is the pinnacle of a comics career. Also, I'm always amazed to the breadth of comics knowledge here-- I tend to learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Of course any list of black comic book writers would be incomplete without Dwayne McDuffie. Also worth mentioning some of the other Milestone creators/artist/writers; Denys Cowan, Derek Dingle, Christopher Williams and Jamal Igle to name some. Is that the same Samual Delany that wrote Babel-17 (one of my all-time fav books)? Greg Rucka is another worthy mention.
    The guy's got the Milestone guys down on his list. He's pretty good with more contemporary Black writers for the Big Two.

That is the same Samuel Delany.

Is Rucka an African-American? I couldn't find any confirmation of this.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post

You may be thinking of All-Negro Comics.

This was created by journalist Orrin Cromwell Evans, who was quite well known in his field, receiving a eulogy from the New York Times upon his death. It was written and drawn entirely by black creators and was published by Evans in 1947. It apparently didn't receive wide distribution, at least in part because many vendors refused to sell it, and plans for a second issue had to be scrapped. The book was an anthology featuring black heroes, the lead being hardboiled detective Ace Harlem.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Coming up with African American writers is pretty tough. Any discussion of African American artists, however, has to start with Matt Baker, who is generally acknowledged by most Golden Age collectors to be the greatest of the Good Girl artists of the 40's and 50's.

Here's his most famous (or infamous) cover, though not his best in my opinion. This guy could seriously draw:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    You may be thinking of All-Negro Comics.

This was created by journalist Orrin Cromwell Evans, who was quite well known in his field, receiving a eulogy from the New York Times upon his death. It was written and drawn entirely by black creators and was published by Evans in 1947. It apparently didn't receive wide distribution, at least in part because many vendors refused to sell it, and plans for a second issue had to be scrapped. The book was an anthology featuring black heroes, the lead being hardboiled detective Ace Harlem.
    That was it, Scott. Thanks so much!!

Matt Baker is the subject of a great recent book by the Modern Masters guys:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61E76O4QzzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	108013

It has some reprints of Baker's comics, critical essays, family pictures, etc. Here's a link to it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Matt-Baker-The...rds=Matt+Baker

I first learned about Baker when Eddie Campbell ran a series of blog posts on romance comics. He spent several days on Baker and proclaimed him "the best American cartoonist that no one ever talks about." Its a tragedy that Baker died so young.