Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are these comics worth the 50 dollars that I'm about to spend?

Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 210 VF 8.0 $5.10
    Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) Annual 12 GD 2.0 $1.60
    Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 149 FN/VF 7.0 $5.49
    Fantastic Four vs. X-Men (1987) 1 NM $1.30
    Ghost Rider (1973 1st Series) 19 FN/VF 7.0 $5.80
    Human Torch (1974 1st Series) 2 FN/VF 7.0 $5.00
    Image Super Hero Modern Value Pack $8.95
    Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 60 FN/VF 7.0 $6.00
    Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) 9 FN/VF 7.0 $3.30
    Static (1993 DC) 1DP NM $1.10
    Web of Spider-Man (1985 1st Series) 8 VF $1.80
    Web of Spider-Man (1985 1st Series) 9 VF $1.30
    Web of Spider-Man (1985 1st Series) 19 VF $0.90
    Wonder Woman (1942-1986 1st Series DC) 242 FN 6.0 $3.30

I don't know, I mean to be honest I guess I'm just scared of mycomicshop screwing up my order or whatever.
    I don't want to spend my money on comics that I either wont get or that are going to be complete junk.

I didn't mind ordering before since it was only an 11 dollar order, but I haven't gotten my comics yet, I should get them on monday..

What do you guys think?

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robo413 View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 210 VF 8.0 $5.10
    Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) Annual 12 GD 2.0 $1.60
    Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 149 FN/VF 7.0 $5.49
    Ghost Rider (1973 1st Series) 19 FN/VF 7.0 $5.80
    Image Super Hero Modern Value Pack $8.95
    Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 60 FN/VF 7.0 $6.00
    Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) 9 FN/VF 7.0 $3.30
    Static (1993 DC) 1DP NM $1.10
    Web of Spider-Man (1985 1st Series) 8 VF $1.80
    Web of Spider-Man (1985 1st Series) 9 VF $1.30
    Web of Spider-Man (1985 1st Series) 19 VF $0.90
    Wonder Woman (1942-1986 1st Series DC) 242 FN 6.0 $3.30

I don't know, I mean to be honest I guess I'm just scared of mycomicshop screwing up my order or whatever.
    I don't want to spend my money on comics that I either wont get or that are going to be complete junk.

I didn't mind ordering before since it was only an 11 dollar order, but I haven't gotten my comics yet, I should get them on monday..

What do you guys think?
    I have the ones in bold. But honestly my feelings is this...why would anyone wanna pay $9 bucks nearly for some horrible Image shit of the 1990's ? I don't understand that one. That is my only question mark here. I'd put that 9 bucks to use for better back issues .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I have the ones in bold. But honestly my feelings is this...why would anyone wanna pay $9 bucks nearly for some horrible Image shit of the 1990's ? I don't understand that one. That is my only question mark here. I'd put that 9 bucks to use for better back issues .
    Haha, okay, I shall do that then. But my biggest concern is with mycomicshop.. idk I'm kind of scared to do a big order with them, especially since I'm using my credit card, and I've read so many reviews of them scamming, or messing up orders. I'm one of those people who worry alot about that kind of stuff, especially since I've been keylogged in the past. (Keylogged meaning that someone found a way to see everything i do on my computer and recorded my key strokes)

EDIT: Oh, and also heard about them over grading their stuff and under grading comics being sold to them.

Haha, okay, I shall do that then. But my biggest concern is with mycomicshop.. idk I'm kind of scared to do a big order with them, especially since I'm using my credit card, and I've read so many reviews of them scamming, or messing up orders. I'm one of those people who worry alot about that kind of stuff, especially since I've been keylogged in the past. (Keylogged meaning that someone found a way to see everything i do on my computer and recorded my key strokes)

EDIT: Oh, and also heard about them over grading their stuff and under grading comics being sold to them.
    I've never bought anything online and used my credit card. So I have no clue about this.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I've never bought anything online and used my credit card. So I have no clue about this.
    Well then I guess the only way I can do this is to wait till I get the comics I have already ordered from them, see how they are, I may take pics and have people judge them.. and if it's good I'll just do small orders every week? I don't know to be honest.

To be honest, that looks like a bunch of stuff you could get for a buck or less a piece, but would require a lot of time sifting through cheap boxes at a con to find. There's nothing there that looks particularly "important" and given the tendency towards continued stories, you're probably getting one issue out of a three or four parter. If that's OK with you, have at it.

EDIT: Just checking, you do know that those dates are when the series began, not necessarily the date of those issues, right?
    Last edited by Paradox; 02-01-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I've done a lot of business with mycomicshop.com over the last decade. They are actually a comic store in Fort Worth, Texas called Lone Star Comics and have been around forever. Their grading is pretty good and I've only had one order mix-up. They sent me a copy of some 1990's Lone Ranger and Tonto instead of the new one that came out. They sent the new one free of charge and let me keep the 1990 one. Good service and you can call them to talk about any questions and concerns. Also, free shipping over $50! And no, I don't work for them. I do sell them tons of comics though.

The folks at mycomicshop are freakin' pros. I've been buying stuff from them for more than a decade and cannot rave about how much I like them. I've bought dollar books, $200 books, graded stuff, whatever. I can think of only two times I've had an issue with them. One time something arrived and the book was advertised as VF but was busted up. I called, they told me to keep it and then shipped me another copy that was probably NM.
    Another time, they forgot a comic. I called, they had it shipped priority and I got it two days later.
    Also, they're great at packaging stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    To be honest, that looks like a bunch of stuff you could get for a buck or less a piece, but would require a lot of time sifting through cheap boxes at a con to find. There's nothing there that looks particularly "important" and given the tendency towards continued stories, you're probably getting one issue out of a three or four parter. If that's OK with you, have at it.

EDIT: Just checking, you do know that those dates are when the series began, not necessarily the date of those issues, right?
    Yeah, I know, the dates are on the right hand side, and I also know they are bits n pieces of stories, I just buy what looks cool to me, mostly 1st issues..And pretty much anything that I can afford.. of Spider-Man haha

Quote Originally Posted by supercam View Post
    I've done a lot of business with mycomicshop.com over the last decade. They are actually a comic store in Fort Worth, Texas called Lone Star Comics and have been around forever. Their grading is pretty good and I've only had one order mix-up. They sent me a copy of some 1990's Lone Ranger and Tonto instead of the new one that came out. They sent the new one free of charge and let me keep the 1990 one. Good service and you can call them to talk about any questions and concerns. Also, free shipping over $50! And no, I don't work for them. I do sell them tons of comics though.
    Sounds good, that's why I wanted to spend 50 dollars. But I heard of someone there thats named beth.. I heard she's a nightmare when calling.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    The folks at mycomicshop are freakin' pros. I've been buying stuff from them for more than a decade and cannot rave about how much I like them. I've bought dollar books, $200 books, graded stuff, whatever. I can think of only two times I've had an issue with them. One time something arrived and the book was advertised as VF but was busted up. I called, they told me to keep it and then shipped me another copy that was probably NM.
    Another time, they forgot a comic. I called, they had it shipped priority and I got it two days later.
    Oooo that sounds really good, I guess I'll give them a try with this so called big order of mine, big to me since 50 bucks is a 3rd of my check.. ahaha part time over night stocking at a grocery store..

Reed Richards' Apprentice Miss Fantastic's Avatar
    The Baxter Building (The 34th story, to be precise.)

I don't know about the others, but I can speak from personal experience that you are getting outstanding deals on those two issues. Way back around '94 (yes, when next year rolls around, I will have been a Fantastic Four nut for 20 years. Where does it all go? *sighs*) or so, I paid $5 for F4 vs. X-Men #1, while #2-4 were $3 a pop. I got some Human Torch issues several years later and remember paying...I want to say about $10 or so for #2. Have always thought that series was/is ridiculously priced. But it apparently is just not that common a find (which is not surprising, given how 'successful' most pre-Future Foundation F4 spin-offs have been). I recall that I only saw Torch issues in one comic shop out of about the ten or so I've visited throughout my collecting 'career', and that would be Second Foundation in Chapel Hill, NC. But anyway, yea, you really can't do any better than what you're paying for those two issues from MyComicShop (a place which I seriously need to look into, BTW).
    "Honore et amore" - Richards Family Motto

The Fantastic Cometh!

SHSO - Plastic Fantastic Fungus / Lvl: 2000s / Sigs: Mister Fantastic & The Fantastic Four

You paid $10 for a reprint? I have this land in Florida you might be interested in investing in...

And '90s prices were outrageously inflated due to the collector's boom. I've seen lots of copies of F4 vs. X-Men in the cheap bins. They were never really "worth" all that much.
    Last edited by Paradox; 02-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I've never had a problem buying or selling from mycomicshop.com. i've always found them fair and it gets here when they said it would.

Most of those prices for comics I recognize don't seem too bad. I don't know about the other stuff. As someone stated, the amount of effort it might take to find cheaper versions probably balances out.

Go for it.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    I don't know about the others, but I can speak from personal experience that you are getting outstanding deals on those two issues. Way back around '94 (yes, when next year rolls around, I will have been a Fantastic Four nut for 20 years. Where does it all go? *sighs*) or so, I paid $5 for F4 vs. X-Men #1, while #2-4 were $3 a pop. I got some Human Torch issues several years later and remember paying...I want to say about $10 or so for #2. Have always thought that series was/is ridiculously priced. But it apparently is just not that common a find (which is not surprising, given how 'successful' most pre-Future Foundation F4 spin-offs have been). I recall that I only saw Torch issues in one comic shop out of about the ten or so I've visited throughout my collecting 'career', and that would be Second Foundation in Chapel Hill, NC. But anyway, yea, you really can't do any better than what you're paying for those two issues from MyComicShop (a place which I seriously need to look into, BTW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    You paid $10 for a reprint? I have this land in Florida you might be interested in investing in...

And '90s prices were outrageously inflated due to the collector's boom. I've seen lots of copies of F4 vs. X-Men in the cheap bins. They were never really "worth" all that much.
    Honestly if you go to Cons you can find those issues cheaper. For stuff from the late 1980's and 90's like X-Men vs FF....you can go to a convention and likely pay 50 cents to a $1 dollar. The only way I'd ever $10 bucks for a back issue ...

1.) It has to be a key 1st appearance of a character.

2.) It has to be a death or major event as well.

3.) It maybe a low printed final issue and its hard to find it.

Those 3 instances.

They don't scam, and if they mess up an order they fix it. Their prices aren't the best but they aren't the worst either. You'll be okay.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    This is right on the money. I've bought from a lot of different dealers, and mycomicshop is the most consistent of them. I can only recall 2 minor shipping errors out of the thousands of comics I've gotten from them. Those were fixed with a phone call. There have been a few occasions that they credited me for books damaged by UPS without a hassle. They are committed to customer satisfaction, and will refund or replace books that you aren't happy with. And, as someone else mentioned, they have a buying system, which I use regularly. Sometimes they grade lower than I do, but they also grade higher just as frequently. I think you will be happy with them. If not, just call them and they will work with you.