Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Starlin's "WTF Certified" Cover Hints At Major Changes in "Stormwatch"

With his takeover of DC Comics' secret superhero team, Jim Starlin is looking to shake things up as his "WTF" cover reveals The Weird's New 52 debut as classic Authority-era members reappear in "Stoormwatch."

Full article here.

BANNED

Sadly I have to say, the more this book seems to veers into Wildstorm-land the less interested I become :S

And 'Stoormwatch'?

WOW. That actually looks amazing. I'm impressed!

I might actually have to buy Stormwatch for the first time ever in my life. Apollo and Midnighter look awesome--and dang if that doesn't look like the Anti-Monitor on the cover!

This could in fact be a really good book. What a nice surprise! I hope it lives up the cover because it just looks cool as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Sadly I have to say, the more this book seems to veers into Wildstorm-land the less interested I become :S
    Right I'm kinda worried about that too
    And 'Stoormwatch'?
    I think it was a typeo
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

I'll say I feel they are taking a step back with Guichet (who does fine work) replacing Conrad (who does AMAZING work).

HOpefully Will Conrad is being placed on a top tier book - that guy could trade off arcs with Ivan Reis without a drop in quality.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Starlin's comfort zone is crazy, mind-bending cosmic stuff. If he can bring even 50% of his Adam Warlock mojo to this, then it will be worth picking up for sure. Hard to come up with a cooler villain than Gamora, though.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

Unless Starlin has drastically changed the way he works, I can't be optimistic.

First of all, his 'strength' isn't something as general as 'mind bending concepts', it's the same plot over and over again. I really, really need him to step outside that box if I'm going to be engaged.

For another, his dialogue is crazily stilted and his characters under developed and oft unlikeable. Did anyone READ the last stuff he was doing at DC? Really and truly and honestly?

I don't know. I want to enjoy this. It'd be a dream to enjoy it! But I just don't have confidence.

Someone like Si Spurrier might have been more appropriate, and it's a shame we won't be getting anyone of that kind of wit.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

There's no way in hell I'm getting this when Starlin takes over.

"I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon."
    Said every other New 52 creator that's been unceremoniously shuffled away...

I'm a fan of Starlin's Marvel work from the 90s (I grew up on Adam Warlock), but I didn't bother to read his most recent work from DC (Death of the New Gods and Strange Adventures), as I heard they were horribly received. I think my love for the Authority characters has been mostly what's kept me reading Stormwatch, since I've only found it mildly entertaining at best. If I'm not impressed with the first couple issues, I think I'll use this as a jump-off point.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    And 'Stoormwatch'?
    Its bad enough they are changing the team but now changing the name?

I am actually not so sure about this. Seems less Wildstorm Stormwatch and more.. something else entirely.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Totally excited by this new direction. It could be great.

All we need now is Winter, Fahrenheit and some pants for Hellstrike.

Hm...I'm going to be optimistic about this. I've only read a few issues of Milligan's Stormwatch so far and while there were pretty good issues, nothing about them really blew me away either.

This one is a true WTF book, but not necessarily in a bad way. I just can't believe with all this New 52 hub-bub, they would show/bring-back "classic" versions of the characters, even if they are from Wildstorm, and not DC proper.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor
    IDW: Transformers: Robots in Disguise

Someone tell DC that WTF does not mean "Watch This Fail"