Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Hester Explores Kirkman's "Invincible Universe"

CBR News spoke with "Guarding the Globe" writer Phil Hester about his continued work exploring Robert Kirkman's sandbox with "Invincible Universe!" from Image Comics and Skybound.

Full article here.

Very excited about this, even though I'd already been reading Guarding the Globe. Anything that brings me more of the excellent background characters from Invincible is good, and since Todd hasn't gotten back to writing/drawing Wildguard, I'm happy to have him drawing a book I want to read.

Heck, Guarding the Globe was how I like my superhero teams to be, not the best superheroes available that team up to form the most powerful forces in that comic universe (Avengers/Justice League), but a bunch of average to good superheroes that have to team up and work together to overcome whatever happens, because they aren't necesarily powerful enough to tackle the threats on their own.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

I wish I had known about this earlier- I was starting to get into Gaurding the Globe, and i actually liked the New Invincible, so I'm not sure I want to give this book a try.

I cannot wait, I'm a huge "Invincible Universe!" fan. I enjoyed Guarding the Globe, so this seems like a welcome transformation for the title Thank you Mr. Hester.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I wish I had known about this earlier- I was starting to get into Gaurding the Globe, and i actually liked the New Invincible, so I'm not sure I want to give this book a try.
    Well, if you're reading Guarding the Globe, this is basically the direct continuation of it with a slightly different focus. Basically Guarding the Globe had it's 6 issue mini-series, then they started the Guarding the Globe ongoing that is currently on issue 5 but will 'end' on issue 6 only to be continued as Invincible Universe with the same creative team.

"That said, both El Chupacabra and Best Tiger get the solo treatment in the first six issues, which should fire up those Best Tiger fans."

Consider me fired up! Now if only we could get a Kaboomerang solo issue/arc somewhere down the line....

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    Well, if you're reading Guarding the Globe, this is basically the direct continuation of it with a slightly different focus. Basically Guarding the Globe had it's 6 issue mini-series, then they started the Guarding the Globe ongoing that is currently on issue 5 but will 'end' on issue 6 only to be continued as Invincible Universe with the same creative team.
    This is what I was going to reply also. If you liked Guarding the Globe, this is basically just that title re-named with a slightly wider scope/cast. I'm really looking forward to this. Hester and Nauck have been great on the series so far and I hope the new name will get it more attention with buyers. It deserves it. Really good team book and Hester does a great job making the characters feel consistent with the main title.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Was loving the new GtG book to begin with, so I'm all for this!

So, I messaged Phil Hester on The Twitter-book suggesting he should use Britney (Brit's half-sister) in the comic if he's looking for more heroes. His response was, "I've been asking!"

This would please me greatly if she showed up in the comic, as she was awesome in Brit.

So, I messaged Phil Hester on The Twitter-book suggesting he should use Britney (Brit's half-sister) in the comic if he's looking for more heroes. His response was, "I've been asking!"

This would please me greatly if she showed up in the comic, as she was awesome in Brit.
    Yeah, I love Britney. That makes it sound like Kirkman is resisting having in the story.

I'll keep it on my pull

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Yeah, I love Britney. That makes it sound like Kirkman is resisting having in the story.
    Maybe Kirkman has plans for her in Invincible? I can't remember what happened to her at the end of Brit, but I don't remember anything that would prevent her from being in either comic...

Maybe Kirkman has plans for her in Invincible? I can't remember what happened to her at the end of Brit, but I don't remember anything that would prevent her from being in either comic...
    I don't remember either. Seems like she was retired or something the first time Brit asked her to join the Guardians. Maybe they just feel it would go against her character's progression to go back to the team? Might have to dig out those old Brit trades.

Checked it out last night and I didn't see anything in issue 12 that would cause her to be unavailable, aside from being injured at the time, so it might just be Kirkman has other plans for her himself. In any case, re-reading Brit reminded me of how cool a character Britney is, and also reminded what Brit's actual name is.

I hope he eventually bring back all of his old books in to actual series like Brit, Wolf-Man, Capes, and Tech-Jacket. I have no problem with what is happening now with Invincible Universe, but there was something about Brit and Capes that made me fall in love with them. I remember reading issue 1 of Capes and thinking "Oh that was good" then the next day I read issue 2 and 3 and the whole 72 page back up in one sitting, I couldn't stop. And with Brit I just fell in love with him and the way he interacted with DonaldClick image for larger version. 

Name:	britdonald.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	108090 I loved his sister and the whole alien drug bust stuff. And... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donaldsmash.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	108091