NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Default The Spider #8 and The Shadow #9

No discussion on these books yet? Come on people......

The Shadow #9 was a fun book, I'm loving the direction it's taken with it's new writer and I'm really hoping that Year One is going to be another home run for the Dynamite pulp line. On the art side of this this was maybe the 2nd issues that I felt was drawn really well by Campbell, he's an okay artist but it seems like some issues are just better than others when it comes to his art and I don't know why that is.

The Spider #8 was a little slow until the end of the issues, but otherwise was a fun read all around. I'm digging the new art (though I loved Worley) and I'm also digging the new direction of the book since the ending of the first arc (which I loved).

The Black Sparrow was an awesome character, indeed. I'm banking on seeing more of her in this upcoming arc, I'm also betting she eventually breaks free from El Rey and eventually helps The Shadow in the end. Well, either that or she'll screw The Shadow over and pretend to be on his side as El Rey puts through plans to kill our hero of the story. Either which way I'm really into this book at the moment and Black Sparrow is yet another reason to love The Shadow, hopefully she doesn't die on us anytime soon.

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

I really enjoyed The Shadow. Its well written and I am loving Campbell's art on it.

As for The Spider, I've just read the first 7 issues, LCS didn't get issue 8, and I don't know if I like it. The art is great, Liss is writing the hell out of it but it just seems so flat.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

.....You're broken. I can't help you.

Seriously though, I absolutely love The Spider, I enjoy it even more than The Shadow as a whole.

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

I am so broken...

I think it is just more noir pulp then I am used too.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

I,ve been so knocked out by The Shadow #9 Alex Ross cover,that I,m going on ebay.com and find the virgin art variant.

Unless someone here wants to pick one up for me :)

I,m then going to scan it,print it onto photo quality paper and frame it....just stunning.

I,ll get round to actually reading it tonight!!!

Right now,I cant stop looking at the cover.

RALPH.

Haven't been to a comic book shop since back in mid-December, so I'm behind on Dynamite stuff.

(Still get some DC at Barnes & Noble on a weekly basis.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Love The Spider. Been enjoying it since issue one. Really liked how The Hater was set up and introduced. Anytime someone asks me whats a good book to pick up at my LCS. One of the first ones I say is The Spider. I like how it takes place now and not back in the day, but still has the great pulp feel to it. I can't praise this book enough.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

At least we know that The Spider is the man that Nita loves, what a way to end the issue and what a way to drag people back to see what happens! Unbelievable story twist to go along with her sleeping with Wentworth in the previous issue, this is just downright amazing storytelling.