Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    "Current" is just an example of how sometimes comics gets over-expository when trying to accommodate new audiences who are just jumping into the story. Recent examples include last week's episode of Young Justice, or pretty much anything Spider-man. I mean, yeah, the word sticks out, but you shouldn't get too hung up on it.
    You're just terrified what is going to ensue when misslane reads them
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I don't recall telling anyone what to do.
    I recall stating to find the idea of making an entire thread to complain about one page of a comic (one where pretty much nothing happens) just because Wonder Woman happens to be in it to be somewhat ridiculous in its overreaction, stating as such a personal opinion that remained within the subject at hand.
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Okay, let me be more straightforward and to the point.

Posting in a thread to point out you think the thread is ridiculous? Don't do it.

Either engage in discussion of the topic at hand or look elsewhere for something to talk about.

That's the end of this discussion. Please don't make me go deleting messages.
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    You're just terrified what is going to ensue when misslane reads them
    No comment on that.

But I get the point being spread, and so while you can dock some style points, it doesn't really affect the story.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

What DOES happen is that the writer describes Diana as Superman's current lover. Not his lover, not his beloved... current. As in the one that comes after the last one and before the next one.
    True it could be interpreted like that since it is a very vague statement. Now the people who don't like SM/WW could rejoice. Yay, Lobdell is giving this relationship a timeframe and is telling you it's going to flop. Maybe he is. I don't know and he's not really interested in it so he's telling you up front don't worry too much.

On the other hand it could just mean that Diana is the one Superman is in a romantic relationship with now, or she could be the one he is sleeping with. (hardly likely though since he and she had two dates and not much time passed) And use of current also says he had many lovers before hence Diana is "current" really interests me because wanna know who are all these past lovers of Supes. Didn't know he was such a playa.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    True it could be interpreted like that since it is a very vague statement. Now the people who don't like SM/WW could rejoice. Yay, Lobdell is giving this relationship a timeframe and is telling you it's going to flop. Maybe he is. I don't know and he's not really interested in it so he's telling you up front don't worry too much.

On the other hand it could just mean that Diana is the one Superman is in a romantic relationship with now, or she could be the one he is sleeping with. (hardly likely though since he and she had two dates and not much time passed) And use of current also says he had many lovers before hence Diana is "current" really interests me because wanna know who are all these past lovers of Supes. Didn't know he was such a playa.
    Yeah, I went there too. I dont know about many, but it seems to imply others in the past. Though if in fact there are none in the past it makes it sound even more ominous for the pro-relationship camp.

To me it seemed genuinely odd because it seemed not to make sense in terms of Clark's personality. Yes, it's author voice, but even so Superman is NOT a character I think of as having a "current lover". Tony Stark, Arsenal, Lady Blackhawk - sure. Superman? Not so much.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

It might not be just the author's voice, actually. I've suggested it elsewhere, but this has read a lot like the narration of Superman #0, which in the end, was revealed to be a time traveling Superman telling the Kryptonian tale. I'm wondering if the narrator for HE'l on Earth so far is actually supposed to be a first person narrative disguised as third-person.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It might not be just the author's voice, actually. I've suggested it elsewhere, but this has read a lot like the narration of Superman #0, which in the end, was revealed to be a time traveling Superman telling the Kryptonian tale. I'm wondering if the narrator for HE'l on Earth so far is actually supposed to be a first person narrative disguised as third-person.
    Maybe it's someone who hopes to be his next lover.

Veteran Member

Maybe it's someone who hopes to be his next lover. Or a time traveler from a possible future--like Lois and Clark's possible kid, who would have everything at stake on making sure that Diana is no more than Clark's current lover. It would also explain why the narrator was so fulsome in describing Lois as the most wonderful woman Clark ever met.

Just trying to think outside the box.

For that matter, it could be Booster Gold, who, according to the JLI Annual, was/will be/would have have been on a mission to stop the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship. The narrator's captions are gold-colored, right?
    Last edited by slvn; 02-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.

I am inclined to think it is a narrator (character from the story) and not the author and it is not someone from earth hence the very formal way of speaking. Lover is a term in the past often meant someone who courts another, loves another etc. I could see say a Kryptonian or some other alien non earthling use the phrase to frame Diana and Clark's relationship this way. Makes more sense.

I could be wrong but Lobdell's voice when he does narration from his pov or even Clark is not so stilted.

To slvn...maybe it is a woman. Dr Veritas. She in my mind fancies Clark. Clark seemed a bit oblivious to her though. In any romantic way at least.
    Last edited by thepenguin; 02-01-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Maybe it's someone who hopes to be his next lover. Or a time traveler from a possible future--like Lois and Clark's possible kid, who would have everything at stake on making sure that Diana is no more than Clark's current lover. It would also explain why the narrator was so fulsome in describing Lois as the most wonderful woman Clark ever met.

Just trying to think outside the box.

For that matter, it could be Booster Gold, who, according to the JLI Annual, was/will be/would have have been on a mission to stop the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship. The narrator's captions are gold-colored, right?
    Booster? That's another possibility. But the narrator sounds very formal.

Or we could all be wrong. lol.

Dr. Veritas is one among many though already referred to in the third-person by the narrator. So if its an actually character its unlikely to be her, nor any character we've actually seen on page thus far. I've taken a fancy to the idea it might be the Eradicator. Havent' seen him yet, but we do know his cult on Krypton had a vested interest in actually making sure the planet's destruction happened unabated. So whatever the Eradicator itself is, man, machine, whatever, if it still exists it would have a stake in H'El's plot. The character in past continuities has also had a penchant for formal, cold speech.

BANNED

Lois?

*runs out the room with a quickness*

No matter what we do, it all comes back to Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    I am inclined to think it is a narrator (character from the story) and not the author and it is not someone from earth hence the very formal way of speaking. Lover is a term in the past often meant someone who courts another, loves another etc. I could see say a Kryptonian or some other alien non earthling use the phrase to frame Diana and Clark's relationship this way. Makes more sense.

I could be wrong but Lobdell's voice when he does narration from his pov or even Clark is not so stilted.

To slvn...maybe it is a woman. Dr Veritas. She in my mind fancies Clark. Clark seemed a bit oblivious to her though. In any romantic way at least.
    I thought Wonder Woman was giving her [Veritas] a rather strange look in Superboy 16. As Diana is standing next to Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Okay, let me be more straightforward and to the point.

Posting in a thread to point out you think the thread is ridiculous? Don't do it.

Either engage in discussion of the topic at hand or look elsewhere for something to talk about.

That's the end of this discussion. Please don't make me go deleting messages.
    *pre deleted message*
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...