Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Default Meanwhile, in Superman #16...

Wonder Woman is described as Superman's "current lover."

Hmmmm. Interesting choice of words.

She also threatens Superboy when he doubts Superman's juedgment in bringing dangerous organisms to the Fortress on Earth. "Keep criticizing Superman at your own peril."

Sounds like Lobdell is paying more attention to Diana's Justice League characterization than Azzarello's.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Least she gave Superboy fair warning though rather than just putting her fist through his face. I'm not at all surprised that Lobdell will be paying more attention to Johns' characterisation than Azz's. I think most writers will do the same and the only place that Azz's take will be seen will be in her own book. Though I think Diggle said in an interview that he likes what Azz is going so perhaps if she shows up in Action Comics she'll be more like Azz's take.

Okay. I just went over to the Superman #16 discussion page, and I am very amused that Wonder Woman is apparently now Prince Diana. Excellent typo there letterer. And also I love the way Rocafort draws her, even if he occasionally leans towards the cheese cake and has her stand in ridiculous poses.

I'm also confused by the H'el timeline. I thought it took place after JL #12 and only a few days had passed since then. When, in the Superman timeline, did they go from quick, awkward smooch to lovers?
    Last edited by RandomFalls; 02-01-2013 at 02:24 AM.

BANNED

Not surprised really.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Hmmmm. Interesting choice of words.
    Yeah--almost made me wonder if the narrator was Lois Lane. :)

She also threatens Superboy when he doubts Superman's juedgment in bringing dangerous organisms to the Fortress on Earth. "Keep criticizing Superman at your own peril."
    Well, she's feeling a little protective of her "current lover."

Sounds like Lobdell is paying more attention to Diana's Justice League characterization than Azzarello's.
    In another panel, though, she puts her hand comfortingly (I think) on Superboy's shoulder. That seems more like Azzarello's characterization--unless, of course, she's getting ready to snap Superboy's neck.

What did you think of the bit where she's fighting the lockcoils and says "These abominations are certainly without equal. Despite what's at stake, I can't deny I'm enjoying the challenge they represent." This was OK with me; in Azzarello's run, we get the sense that she has to hold herself back a lot, and she would enjoy cutting loose once in a while, like when fighting "armaments" rather than people (though she keeps her cuffs on).

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls
    Though I think Diggle said in an interview that he likes what Azz is going so perhaps if she shows up in Action Comics she'll be more like Azz's take.
    I wonder if Diggle is writing the Wonder Woman/Eros meeting in the Valentine's Day special. He's on the long list of creators for the issue, and Azz isn't. It would be interesting to get a first glimpse of Diggle's take on her (and also a first glimpse of anyone but Azz's take on one of Azz's gods).
    Last edited by slvn; 02-01-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Least she gave Superboy fair warning though rather than just putting her fist through his face. I'm not at all surprised that Lobdell will be paying more attention to Johns' characterisation than Azz's. I think most writers will do the same and the only place that Azz's take will be seen will be in her own book. Though I think Diggle said in an interview that he likes what Azz is going so perhaps if she shows up in Action Comics she'll be more like Azz's take.

Okay. I just went over to the Superman #16 discussion page, and I am very amused that Wonder Woman is apparently now Prince Diana. Excellent typo there letterer. And also I love the way Rocafort draws her, even if he occasionally leans towards the cheese cake and has her stand in ridiculous poses.

I'm also confused by the H'el timeline. I thought it took place after JL #12 and only a few days had passed since then. When, in the Superman timeline, did they go from quick, awkward smooch to lovers?
    Who can say? According to the way #15 was worded it seems she knows that Batman knows about them, but clearly in the current run of JL we have not seen that revelation.

The word "lover" can be somewhat ambiguous, and does not necessarily mean sex, though that is the commonly understood implication these days. But Lobdell's approach to the relationship seems forced to me. Like I said above the phrase "current lover" carries its own implication, as in this is something temporary.

Seems I'm not the only one who noticed it, judging by Mart's article on the issue...

http://dangermart.blogspot.com.au/20...16-review.html
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Yeah--almost made me wonder if the narrator was Lois Lane. :)
    Ha! Snap!

Well, she's feeling a little protective of her "current lover."
    Maybe that's how he introduced her to someone. "This is Diana, she's my current lover." Yeah, that would end well

[
    In another panel, though, she puts her hand comfortingly (I think) on Superboy's shoulder. That seems more like Azzarello's characterization--unless, of course, she's getting ready to snap Superboy's neck.
    I dont think its necessarily checkered characterization as much as a perception by writers that this Diana is edging towards bi-polar. I mean, she's a hot chick with a sword so natrually she is going to be emotionally unstable, right?

What did you think of the bit where she's fighting the lockcoils and says "These abominations are certainly without equal. Despite what's at stake, I can't deny I'm enjoying the challenge they represent." This was OK with me; in Azzarello's run, we get the sense that she has to hold herself back a lot, and she would enjoy cutting loose once in a while, like when fighting "armaments" rather than people (though she keeps her cuffs on).
    I dont know that Azzarello shows her holding back a lot, more like he rarely lets her cut loose

But considering the fate of billions is at stake, it seems ridiculous she is holding back at all. Bordering on self-indulgent, actually. And the 'danger to others excuse' is no excuse at all in this case. All she has to do is tell the League to get the hell out.

Though personally I suspect that nobody outside of Azzarello knows what to make of that particular "dea ex machina", if even he knows

Veteran Member

I dont think its necessarily checkered characterization as much as a perception by writers that this Diana is edging towards bi-polar. I mean, she's a hot chick with a sword so natrually she is going to be emotionally unstable, right?
    Not bipolar--just multi-faceted. We've seen in Azz's book that she can be fierce in defending her own (I'm thinking not only of 12, but also of her confrontation with Orion at the end of 15, for example.) And also that she's able to rein in her temper when needed--which seems like self-control, not instability.

But considering the fate of billions is at stake, it seems ridiculous she is holding back at all. Bordering on self-indulgent, actually. And the 'danger to others excuse' is no excuse at all in this case. All she has to do is tell the League to get the hell out.
    She seems to be doing fine with the cuffs on. And would waiting for the others to disengage from battle and get the hell out necessarily be a timesaver? And is god mode necessarily more potent than Wonder Woman (cuffed) plus Superman plus Superboy plus Cyborg (with Batman thrown in)?

Though personally I suspect that nobody outside of Azzarello knows what to make of that particular "dea ex machina", if even he knows
    Well, yeah--I don't think anyone else should mess with it until Azz finishes revealing it.

Not bipolar--just multi-faceted. We've seen in Azz's book that she can be fierce in defending her own (I'm thinking not only of 12, but also of her confrontation with Orion at the end of 15, for example.) And also that she's able to rein in her temper when needed--which seems like self-control, not instability.
    Heh. Hal Jordan's teeth say hi.

When she shows the sword to Superboy you can practically hear her saying "See this? This is what I used to cut open Green Lantern."

She seems to be doing fine with the cuffs on. And would waiting for the others to disengage from battle and get the hell out necessarily be a timesaver? And is god mode necessarily more potent than Wonder Woman (cuffed) plus Superman plus Superboy plus Cyborg (with Batman thrown in)?
    Well considering they are fighting to save every person on Earth and all the heroes you names above are taking ages just to get to where they are headed, I would have to say a supposedly even more powerful Wonder Woman would be a good thing.

Would a guy who can lift the planet even need to leave is another question? If indeed anyone does, since that is purely speculative.

Well, yeah--I don't think anyone else should mess with it until Azz finishes revealing it.
    Lucky for me I excercise and watch my cholesterol level.

This isn't the first (and won't be the last) time either of Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman are written out of character.

As long as it doesn't affect Azzarello's Wonder Woman :

She's also described as "Prince Diana of the Amazons." Prince? I wonder if that was supposed to be "Diana Prince of the Amazons" and someone reversed it?
    We shall make war as we have lived our lives, as sisters of the bow. And our war shall be the war of Amazons against the race of men.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Fan View Post
    She's also described as "Prince Diana of the Amazons." Prince? I wonder if that was supposed to be "Diana Prince of the Amazons" and someone reversed it?
    And it would still be wrong.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by slvn
    We've seen in Azz's book that ... And also that she's able to rein in her temper when needed--which seems like self-control, not instability.
    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1
    Heh. Hal Jordan's teeth say hi.
    Did I miss a Hal Jordan guest appearance in Azz's book? Anyway, even though I agree that the stuff with Hal in Johns' book went too far, she did eventually rein herself in (or allow herself to be reined in) and work with the rest of the team. And in Superman 16, she quickly shifts from warning Superman to showing compassion for him byt putting her hand on her shoulder; to me, this shows responsiveness and self control, not a mood swing.

When she shows the sword to Superboy you can practically hear her saying "See this? This is what I used to cut open Green Lantern."
    Well maybe you can hear that....

Well considering they are fighting to save every person on Earth and all the heroes you names above are taking ages just to get to where they are headed, I would have to say a supposedly even more powerful Wonder Woman would be a good thing.
    But we don't know that she's sure that even with god mode she could take on all of the armaments in that room by herself, and yet you want her to send the rest of the team on. A cuffed Wonder Woman is better than a dead Wonder Woman, or a Wonder Woman bogged down fighting armaments when the rest of the team needs her for the next challenge. And what if, as we've speculated before, using god mode threatens to corrupt her or drive her mad? The last thing the others need right now is to have to defeat Wonder Woman.

I imagine that if she did tell the rest of the team to "get the hell out," some would call her arrogant. She can't get a break with some of her fans. :)

If indeed anyone does, since that is purely speculative.
    Indeed--it's almost as speculative as your idea that taking off her cuffs and unleashing her full power in that situation would NOT have been risky. (I say "almost" because the idea that there is some risk or downside to uncuffing and using full power is somewhat supported by the facts that in 12 she tells Zola it's best for her to leave before the uncuffing, that she calls the cuffs her adversaries' defense, that she wears the cuffs even in situations where she might want more power, and that Lennox says in 15 that power inherited from Zeus doesn't always flow correctly.)

Lucky for me I excercise and watch my cholesterol level.
    You know, I'm going to start doing the same. (See? Azz's slow pace has health benefits; it encourages us to do what we can to stick around. What a genius! :) )
    Last edited by slvn; 02-01-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Fan View Post
    Prince? I wonder if that was supposed to be "Princess Diana of the Amazons".
    ~ One thousand apologies if I'm using broken English. ~

Given that Wonder Woman has only had the cuffs off with her 'god-mode' power in her own book, what makes us think that the other writers of the nu52 even know about this power?

There doesn't seem much collaboration between Azz and the other writers, so I doubt they will use the 'god-mode' power, or even know it's limits if they used it.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    There doesn't seem much collaboration between Azz and the other writers, so I doubt they will use the 'god-mode' power, or even know it's limits if they used it.
    Well, yeah--like I said, I don't think other writers should use it until Azz has defined it more. I only mentioned it because I anticipated that when I said that Diane is enjoying cutting loose against the armaments, someone would ask how she can be said to "cut loose" while still wearing the cuffs. But everything's relative; while she doesn't take off the cuffs against mortal enemies, she also doesn't rip them up like she does these techno creatures.