Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChordNohVarr View Post
    I'm impressed with this. As a Spidey fan since Amazing #115, I've seen every iteration of Spidey from The Spidey that had his butt handed to him by cheap Gerry Conway villains to having the juggernaut and Firelord on his case. I've seen him thru multiple writers, 5 titles/month, Clone Wars, etc. The only thing I never like is when the writers repeat themselves, and are afraid to take chances. I LIKED Ben Reilly. He was a departure from the mopey, underemployed, woe-is-me Parker, and the plug was pulled on him too soon.
    As a Spidey fan since the 1970's with every issue of ASM in my collection, I've seen every iteration of Spidey as well; most I loved, some I didn't. I agree writers should take chances, but IMO the writing on Spidey seems to have taken a back seat to the hype and sensationalist build up. Stories are under developed, rushed and lack substance.

This direction is fresh, and while it may not be for everyone, SSM represents the comic fans' general thirst for edgier heroes (Hey, that's the fans' fault--If they didn't want bloodthirsty heroes, Wolverine wouldn't have two kids and SIX books).
    I actually like as you call it edgier heroes. I also like gritty, dark, realistic, mature, serious storylines as long as they also highlight the fantastic, super and fun elements of the super-hero mythos. Good written story-telling in comics should first and foremost be entertaining. It should also as it often does reflect aspects of the human condition, emotionally and socially thus perhaps providing an insight into urban cultures, myths, legends, social commentary and global ideologies. ASM and now SSM have become more cartoonish in every aspect. They have not progressed to the same level of maturity for example as the Batman books over at DC.

As far as for Ramos, everyone forgets that Ditko drew Spidey in pretty much that sort of style--very cartoony and adapted to a triple-jointed character.
    Agreed, but Steve Ditko's style was representative of the era and to this day is still a lot more pleasing to the eye than the Ramos pseudo manga style.

If you want 'realistic' art, comics probably aren't for you, because lately, all artists have become stylized to some extent.
    I did say in my post that the best thing about ASM was the artwork by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Stefano Caselli, and Ryan Stegman. There's lots of realistic art in comic books. It's great for artists to be as stylized as they like but keep the anatomy perspectives real.

Lastly, for those who are hoping for this title's quick demise--it will go away by June 2014, I'm sure, but the sales on the first two issues look REAL good. My comics shop had to re-order #2--that's new for me--a sold-out #1 yeah, but #2? I think, by and large, most people are digging this. Those who don't believe me just need to see Dan's Twitter feed to see the response. So drop it, that's a copy for someone who wants it.
    From my interactions with people at my local comic book shop, I see that there are just as many people who are not digging this latest direction. I have longed for ASM to be steered back towards a mature style of writing (not necessarily dark or gritty) but a no-nonsense approach with grounded in depth characterization, drama and action. Until a new creative team is appointed for Spidey or until Dan Slott regains his creative juices, Spidey will remain off my pull list.
    Last edited by Magnetic Eye; 01-31-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanWinchester View Post
    I'm REALLY trying to give Slott the BOTD on this whole thing.
    The Breath Of The Dying? That's kind of harsh, isn't it? Besides, I don't think it works outside of Diablo II; though I must admit, I have not tried it.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The story has started by showing us nothing interesting is likely to happen. Unless you start dropping some hints about this soon the book doesnt look to have anything fun happening with the body switch.
    And yet im still interested in seeing where it goes from here and how peter eventually wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    And yet im still interested in seeing where it goes from here and how peter eventually wins.
    Peter has already won from two sides....and i dont think there are any more sides to win from.
    All you are waiting on is for Pete to stop being a ghost.

Longtime Spidey fan too, started off with Lee & Ditko reprints, but I'm enjoying Ock as Spidey. As I've said before. I know Pete's return is inevitable but I'm hoping it takes a while or Pete actually does shuffle off into the light.

Give it ten years and people will be calling for the return of SpOck the same way as Ben Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies8MyDingo View Post
    Longtime Spidey fan too, started off with Lee & Ditko reprints, but I'm enjoying Ock as Spidey. As I've said before. I know Pete's return is inevitable but I'm hoping it takes a while or Pete actually does shuffle off into the light.

Give it ten years and people will be calling for the return of SpOck the same way as Ben Reilly.
    Agree. I am also enjoying Superior Spiderman. I'm glad to see Peter Parker in it even if he's not in physical form (better than no Peter Parker at all) and looking forward to see how it plays out. I love seeing how SpOck interacts with other superheroes. His run-in with the Xmen in Amazing Spiderman 16 was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ender424 View Post
    Agree. I am also enjoying Superior Spiderman. I'm glad to see Peter Parker in it even if he's not in physical form (better than no Peter Parker at all) and looking forward to see how it plays out. I love seeing how SpOck interacts with other superheroes. His run-in with the Xmen in Amazing Spiderman 16 was crazy.
    It might have been better to have seen Peter's soul imprisoned by Mephisto and transplanted into Zombie Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    Not even close.

Marcos Martin definitely. Someone like Ryan Stegman, hopefully if they let him take over more.

I know Dan and Wacker like him, he's certainly a quick artist but his stretch taffy overcartoony character design doesn't do anything for me. Definitely not the kind of guy you want on a AAA book.
    Why don't they bring in Jim Lee and Bart Sears to the line-up?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Why don't they bring in Jim Lee and Bart Sears to the line-up?
    Jim Lee is probably DC exclusive, all things considered.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    It might have been better to have seen Peter's soul imprisoned by Mephisto and transplanted into Zombie Spider-Man.
    I think you may have a fixation
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by JackHawksmoor View Post
    The Superior Spider-Man era? AKA, "Worse than the Clone Saga era" era!
    For that to be even remotely true, the first two issues need to be bad. And they were great.

So, no.

I didn't think it was possible to get more SINO than "Deal with the Devil" Peter, but congrats Marvel! You've made me (and legions of Spidey fans) feel even crappier about our beloved Web-head.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to get more SINO than "Deal with the Devil" Peter, but congrats Marvel! You've made me (and legions of Spidey fans) feel even crappier about our beloved Web-head.
    The cardboard cutouts you surround yourself with don't count, man.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    Once again, another unelected voice---as you can see from the forums here, your "legion" of fans comes up a lil' short--go to Twitter and you'll see LEGION.
    Again, this move was not for everyone, but if you're that vitriolic, stop reading comics. Sooner or later, some writer is going to do something you don't like. And, that leaves some for the rest who like it.
    And BTW, not everyone hated "One More Day/One Moment in Time" or the Clone Saga--many of us still love Ben Reilly, R.I.P.
    I tried looking up the Straw Hat Law, but I guess The Amish haven'[t made it to the Internet yet.

I've been following Spider-Man since the end part of JMS, and have read the majority of back issues since then.

While this is probably not my favourite period ever, it is the best period since I have been collecting new issues and each issue is better than the last. Combine Slott and Stegman's masterful storytelling with Yost and Medina's equal brilliance on Avenging (and add Scarlet Spider into the mix) and this is a great time to be a fan.