Hybrid View

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Slott Swings into the New "Superior" Era of "Spider-Man"

CBR spoke with writer Dan Slott about the debut issue of "Superior Spider-Man," the upcoming "Fired" story line featuring the return of fan-favorite character Cardiac and his long term plans.

Full article here.

Why post this story after #2 comes out, it makes for a weird interview with the readers already knowing what happens with the SPOCK-Mary Jane relationship.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

It will heavily feature the Avengers and Cardiac....

I HAVE WON!!! SWEET HEAVENS MAJIN OAW HAS WON!!! They said it couldn't be done, but my campaign worked. I can now retire... there is nothign left for me to do on these boards anymore...
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

One word answer: SINO

I'm excited to see Screwball again! Like another of Dan's contributions Overdrive, Screwball isn't a serious threat to Spidey, not any world dominating schemes, does know his secret idenity or loved ones, can't overpower him in a fight...but they both have this unbridled JOY of being bad, and their skillsets lead to visually interesting scenes, so I can't help but love them.

Unfortunately, this also means the return of Ramos, drawing the Avengers no less. Make way for Giraffe Wolverine, ya'll!

The Superior Spider-Man era? AKA, "Worse than the Clone Saga era" era!
    "Saga is like Star Wars in space!"
    -Machinima

I no longer buy Spider-Man thanks to this ridiculous storyline that will go on far too long. That and fugly art. One day it will all go away and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHawksmoor View Post
    The Superior Spider-Man era? AKA, "Worse than the Clone Saga era" era!
    For that to be even remotely true, the first two issues need to be bad. And they were great.

So, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I'm excited to see Screwball again! Like another of Dan's contributions Overdrive, Screwball isn't a serious threat to Spidey, not any world dominating schemes, does know his secret idenity or loved ones, can't overpower him in a fight...but they both have this unbridled JOY of being bad, and their skillsets lead to visually interesting scenes, so I can't help but love them.

Unfortunately, this also means the return of Ramos, drawing the Avengers no less. Make way for Giraffe Wolverine, ya'll!

Soooo flippin weird. I forgot about this!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Humberto is one of the quintessential Spider-Man artists of our generation.
    Truth! Love his style on spidery!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott
    People thought we'd bring Peter back in a year's time -- or right before the next Spider-Man movie. Everyone was so savvy with how this all works that I thought the best way to keep people off their game was to just put that card on the table right from the get go. You're all so sure it was coming -- Well? Here it is! But if you think that's all there is, get ready to be wrong.
    Brian Bendis wrote the first few issues of New Avengers with this "I'll show the fans they're wrong and this will make me awesome" mentality by putting Echo under the Ronin mask (after it was clearly established that Ronin was male in all the advance artwork), and that went absolutely nowhere. In fact, she was the only stain on an otherwise very JLA'ized Avengers line-up.

It's easy to fool readers. You've got control over the medium. If you draw a shady silhouette as being 5'2" and later reveal that person to be a 6'8" monster, you just fooled everyone. But what does this do for the story?

That's the part Bendis forgot in his obsession to "fool the fans". Hopefully Dan learned something from Brian's mistakes, and whatever surprises he has in store actually serve the story.