Lightbulb The Great Spider-Man Mini Series, One Shot and Graphic Novels Thread

I was recently thinking about how to introduce a non comic book reader to comics, particularly Spider-Man. I figured the best way to do this would be through Spider-Man: Blue. It tells a complete story where characters undergo a genuine arc and it doesn't require any real knowledge of Spider-Man or his history (though seeing a movie is a bonus).

I then thought of all the best arc and best writer and best run threads I've posted in here, but realised I haven't found a best mini (one shot or GN) thread, so I thought I'd make one.

While I like Spider-Man: Blue, it isn't my favourite mini series ever. That would probably be The Final Adventure or I'm With Stupid. I also enjoyed American Son. I think that Spider-Man Vs. Wolverine is probably the best one-shot ever, not only for the writing but the impact it had on the overall Spider-Man narrative.

What are your favourites? Maybe we can compile a list of the best minis, one shots and GN's and some posters can discover some good stories that they may not have otherwise heard of.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

I really enjoyed reading Spider-man Hooky. I loved the idea of Spidey fighting something that no matter what will keep coming back more powerful than ever and he has to outwit it every single time. The Dragon spread in that book was awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5861437_1_l.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	107902

I got the OHC with that in it but haven't read it yet, however I flicked through and the art for Hooky looked brilliant.

Hooky is great, wonderfully offbeat romp.

I have to give a shoutout to Spider-Man: Lifeline by Fabian Nicieza and Steve Rude. It was one of the first Spidey stories I read & the gorgeous Steve Rude art mesmerized me. That man is one of the greats! The story is sort of a sequel to the tablet story from the late 60s with Kingpin/Slivermane/Lizard & some of the same players are back for this one, as there's another tablet that's been discovered. The dialogue may be a bit too hokey, as it tries to emulate Stan Lee's dialogue in the 60s, it overdoes it a bit but it's a totally fun read. I don't hear many people talk about this one often; you just can't fault that art, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lifeline1.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	107907

Lee Weeks' Spider-Man: Death and Destiny ranks up there with the best Spidey mini-series. What the hell ever happened to that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgrant View Post
    Lee Weeks' Spider-Man: Death and Destiny ranks up there with the best Spidey mini-series. What the hell ever happened to that guy?
    That's gotta be one of the best, too. Really underrated, never been collected in any trades. Not enough people have read it.

I think Lee Weeks most recent work was on the Something Can Stop The Juggernaut story in 2011.

Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

The best Spider-Man stories tend to be part of an ongoing creative run. This isn't true of Batman, Superman or even Wolverine.

The major exception is Kraven's Last Hunt, which was essentially a six-issue mini-series published across the three Spider-Man titles.

There were some excellent self-contained stories in the Tangled Web and Webspinners series. From Webspinners, I'd recommend Issues 10-12 (Paul Jenkins's tryout) and 17-18 (Untold tale for the tail end of Defalco's Amazing Spider-Man run). From Tangled Web, I'd recommend Issues 4 (story of a criminal affected by Spidey), 5-6 (what happens when Rhino gets smart), 11 (Valentines Day by Darwyn Cooke), 20 (excellent Jonah spotlight) and 22 (story of cops trying to prove that the thugs caught in Spidey's web committed the crime in question.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Spider-Man: The Lost Years and Spider-Man: Redemption.

And I heartily second Death and Destiny. It's a great take on why Peter not only would but should risk it all to get back with Gwen, even knowing how it all turns out. The greatest responsibility is to love in spite of the risks.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Spider-Man VS. Wolverine is probably the best Spider-Man one-shot.

Sensational Spider-Man Annual One is also often recommended.

I also liked Sensational Spider-Man '1996 Annual in which JM Dematteis retells Spider-Man's first encounter with Kraven.

Spider-Man/ Batman is a fun crossover with Dematteis and Bagley pitting the heroes against Carnage and Joker.

Since I seem to be on a Dematteis kick right now, I'll also recommend two more of his standalone stories. Spider-Man #38-40 is an excellent Electro tale with art by Klaus Janson. Webspinners #1-3 is a great Mysterio story with art by Michael Zulli.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Since I seem to be on a Dematteis kick right now, I'll also recommend two more of his standalone stories. Spider-Man #38-40 is an excellent Electro tale with art by Klaus Janson. Webspinners #1-3 is a great Mephisto story with art by Michael Zulli.
    You mean Mysterio.

I really couldn't get into those issues, and a big reason was the art.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Spider-Man: The Lost Years and Spider-Man: Redemption.
    Shame on me, I forgot the lost years.

Easily the best mini.