Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Slott Swings into the New "Superior" Era of "Spider-Man"

CBR spoke with writer Dan Slott about the debut issue of "Superior Spider-Man," the upcoming "Fired" story line featuring the return of fan-favorite character Cardiac and his long term plans.

Full article here.

Why post this story after #2 comes out, it makes for a weird interview with the readers already knowing what happens with the SPOCK-Mary Jane relationship.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

It will heavily feature the Avengers and Cardiac....

I HAVE WON!!! SWEET HEAVENS MAJIN OAW HAS WON!!! They said it couldn't be done, but my campaign worked. I can now retire... there is nothign left for me to do on these boards anymore...
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

One word answer: SINO

I'm excited to see Screwball again! Like another of Dan's contributions Overdrive, Screwball isn't a serious threat to Spidey, not any world dominating schemes, does know his secret idenity or loved ones, can't overpower him in a fight...but they both have this unbridled JOY of being bad, and their skillsets lead to visually interesting scenes, so I can't help but love them.

Unfortunately, this also means the return of Ramos, drawing the Avengers no less. Make way for Giraffe Wolverine, ya'll!

The Superior Spider-Man era? AKA, "Worse than the Clone Saga era" era!
    "Saga is like Star Wars in space!"
    -Machinima

I no longer buy Spider-Man thanks to this ridiculous storyline that will go on far too long. That and fugly art. One day it will all go away and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott
    People thought we'd bring Peter back in a year's time -- or right before the next Spider-Man movie. Everyone was so savvy with how this all works that I thought the best way to keep people off their game was to just put that card on the table right from the get go. You're all so sure it was coming -- Well? Here it is! But if you think that's all there is, get ready to be wrong.
    Brian Bendis wrote the first few issues of New Avengers with this "I'll show the fans they're wrong and this will make me awesome" mentality by putting Echo under the Ronin mask (after it was clearly established that Ronin was male in all the advance artwork), and that went absolutely nowhere. In fact, she was the only stain on an otherwise very JLA'ized Avengers line-up.

It's easy to fool readers. You've got control over the medium. If you draw a shady silhouette as being 5'2" and later reveal that person to be a 6'8" monster, you just fooled everyone. But what does this do for the story?

That's the part Bendis forgot in his obsession to "fool the fans". Hopefully Dan learned something from Brian's mistakes, and whatever surprises he has in store actually serve the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I'm excited to see Screwball again! Like another of Dan's contributions Overdrive, Screwball isn't a serious threat to Spidey, not any world dominating schemes, does know his secret idenity or loved ones, can't overpower him in a fight...but they both have this unbridled JOY of being bad, and their skillsets lead to visually interesting scenes, so I can't help but love them.

Unfortunately, this also means the return of Ramos, drawing the Avengers no less. Make way for Giraffe Wolverine, ya'll!

Soooo flippin weird. I forgot about this!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Humberto is one of the quintessential Spider-Man artists of our generation.
    Truth! Love his style on spidery!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Humberto is one of the quintessential Spider-Man artists of our generation.
    Not even close.

Marcos Martin definitely. Someone like Ryan Stegman, hopefully if they let him take over more.

I know Dan and Wacker like him, he's certainly a quick artist but his stretch taffy overcartoony character design doesn't do anything for me. Definitely not the kind of guy you want on a AAA book.
    Last edited by Dr. Chaos; 01-31-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Let's talk a little bit about the control Peter seems to have over his former body. It seemed like when Otto was going to use Pete's body to do something he found reprehensible Pete could step in and exert some control. Is Peter sort of a safety check on the Superior Spider-Man? Something else? Or is it too early to assume anything?

It's too early to assume anything.
    Too early?
    That was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge test that Octopus didnt pass and by issue two he "used" Pete's memories to get off the MJ train.....

The story has started by showing us nothing interesting is likely to happen. Unless you start dropping some hints about this soon the book doesnt look to have anything fun happening with the body switch.

The best thing about ASM was the artwork by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Stefano Caselli, and Ryan Stegman. With all due respect to Humberto Ramos and his artistic style, but to me that messy pseudo manga style for Spiderman has never looked right for a super hero book. It's cartoon caricature and those out of perspective anatomy scribbles are totally cringe worthy.

I've dropped Spidey from my pull list. All I need to know about SS is online or on the shelves of my comic book store. No disrespect to Dan Slott either, but I'm not enjoying this current direction.

I'm impressed with this. As a Spidey fan since Amazing #115, I've seen every iteration of Spidey from The Spidey that had his butt handed to him by cheap Gerry Conway villains to having the juggernaut and Firelord on his case. I've seen him thru multiple writers, 5 titles/month, Clone Wars, etc. The only thing I never like is when the writers repeat themselves, and are afraid to take chances. I LIKED Ben Reilly. He was a departure from the mopey, underemployed, woe-is-me Parker, and the plug was pulled on him too soon. This direction is fresh, and while it may not be for everyone, SSM represents the comic fans' general thirst for edgier heroes (Hey, that's the fans' fault--If they didn't want bloodthirsty heroes, Wolverine wouldn't have two kids and SIX books).
    As far as for Ramos, everyone forgets that Ditko drew Spidey in pretty much that sort of style--very cartoony and adapted to a triple-jointed character. If you want 'realistic' art, comics probably aren't for you, because lately, all artists have become stylized to some extent.
    Lastly, for those who are hoping for this title's quick demise--it will go away by June 2014, I'm sure, but the sales on the first two issues look REAL good. My comics shop had to re-order #2--that's new for me--a sold-out #1 yeah, but #2? I think, by and large, most people are digging this. Those who don't believe me just need to see Dan's Twitter feed to see the response. So drop it, that's a copy for someone who wants it.
    I tried looking up the Straw Hat Law, but I guess The Amish haven'[t made it to the Internet yet.

Official Ghostfacer JordanWinchester's Avatar

I'm REALLY trying to give Slott the BOTD on this whole thing. But I just can't seem to do that too well right now. I know its only been 2 issues of this "Superior" era (rolls eyes) but I was sick of this really early on. Sure, I really liked Dan Slott's run on Amazing, though others may disagree with me. What doesn't sit well with me, besides this Spock thing trying to act like it isn't gonna be a storyline but mainstay sort of thing, is the fact that Ramos is going to be back on this book. That just ruined my mood for today. No offense to Ramos, his style can work with other characters and storylines, but for Spidey he never did anything for me. I prefer seeing Caselli or Martin on this book as a regular besides him. It's just that we finally were done with Ramos' work on this book and NOW we have him back? $#!% ME! I really liked that Ryan Stegman was gonna be on this book because I enjoyed his work in Scarlet Spider. I honestly can't seem to get myself to drop Spidey now because he is truly my favorite character. I guess its just some hope of it possibly getting better but really I think its more just so I have that lead up to see Peter take back over.