Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drax1981 View Post
    Outside of your weird hatred for people who frequent sports bars, what's your point?
    Is it really that terrible for you that someone would like to see more bears in comics?
    That isn't what he's saying. He's only pointing out that it always ends up an either or and while I don't think anyone in this thread is guilty of it there is a tendency to view effeminate or flamboyant gay characters as less than and blame them for the homophobia that gets directed at real gay people. This belief always has people point out that if 'normal' or regular everyday joes are portrayed then none of this would happen. This thinking always overlooks the fact that no matter what the character acts like people that have an issue with gay people won't like them period.

I mean, who doesn't have stubble if not for cosmetic reasons? lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aguja View Post
    That isn't what he's saying. He's only pointing out that it always ends up an either or and while I don't think anyone in this thread is guilty of it there is a tendency to view effeminate or flamboyant gay characters as less than and blame them for the homophobia that gets directed at real gay people. This belief always has people point out that if 'normal' or regular everyday joes are portrayed then none of this would happen. This thinking always overlooks the fact that no matter what the character acts like people that have an issue with gay people won't like them period.
    No no no. It's never been about what "people that have an issue with gay people" think about the characters. It's been about having diversity amongst diversity. Yeah, it's great having gay characters, but there can be more diversity between the gay characters. That's the point. And darkness is disagreeing, saying that even asking for masculine (he's the one who started throwing around "ordinary") gays is somehow offensive and bullying. That's ridiculous. Nobody said anything about effiminate characters being less than. All I said was that they tend to be the general representatives of gay men in mass media (comic books included), and that's not fair or accurate. But somehow that led to accusations of "femphobia" (from you).

It's about some gays getting to define what "gay" means while others are pushed to the sidelines and accused of being oppressors (when, clearly, its the opposite).

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I mean, who doesn't have stubble if not for cosmetic reasons? lol
    lol Right?

Or just out of general dont'givesafucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Speaking of LGBT readers (and characters), we have Bling! appearing in issue #1, but I'd love to have decent gay male characters represented as well. We're still short on that.
    frankly it would be nice just in general across marvel to see more gay--particularly lesbian--characters too that don't end up dead or in no-book limbo.

Well if we're asking for diversity then I'd say more gay characters of colour are needed before more 'normal' gays. But I doubt I'd get as much support on that one.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by renne View Post
    frankly it would be nice just in general across marvel to see more gay--particularly lesbian--characters too that don't end up dead or in no-book limbo.
    I just don't want my favorite pink haired sprite in no-book limbo.

Hope Sage is the surprise character in #1.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    People who self-identify as masculine are screaming queens with deep delusions of "ordinariness." It's a desire to be ordinary that animates their purchase of baseball caps and their stubble growth, not a desire to be "masculine." And don't even engage with the bullshit "equal representation" argument. It's a strawman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    People have such stiff views on sexuality. No one "becomes a lesbian" simply by having a romantic relationship with a woman. There are many people who have fallen for only one other of the gender they're not normally with. It happens. But then society feels this need to slap a label on people, and demands to know "Is So-and-So gay? Ermahgerd." Having a character like Psylocke who's only thus far had feelings for men develop feelings for a woman would not be a "sudden change for shock value." It'd be resembling something that happens on occasion in real life, and it would in no way invalidate the feelings for the previous men or the woman in question.
    Here's a suggestion: take your "alternative lifestyle" agenda and go back to writing slash fics for some fanfic forum and leave the regular books alone?

They're superhero comics, not pro-LGBT political tracts.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    New to the X-Men, are you?
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

Here's a suggestion: take your "alternative lifestyle" agenda and go back to writing slash fics for some fanfic forum and leave the regular books alone?

Last edited by Hi-Fi; 01-31-2013 at 04:22 PM.

lol, we have a winner.
    X-Poster of the Month: March (and February) 2014

who wouldn't want to be a pretty slut vs an ugly forever ?
    ~~ forgotten poster

Celeste was Right! ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    I just don't want my favorite pink haired sprite in no-book limbo.
    sing it sister. I just don't want my favorite strawberry blonde pop-tart in no book limbo.
    "Generation X was the one, pristine, x-team..."- darknessatnoon
    My X-Men Sketch Book

BANNED

Well if we're asking for diversity then I'd say more gay characters of colour are needed before more 'normal' gays. But I doubt I'd get as much support on that one.
    You do know I'm a gay black man, right?

And there you go with "normal" again. Gay characters of colour aren't normal?

No one said "normal" gays. Are you kidding? Femphobia? Really? Damn right there are bullies in this thread.

BANNED

Man, the industry's so conditioned to not giving a fuck about Rachel that she's never even brought up in most of these interviews. And, in fairness, Kitty as well.