Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Then you're using it as a cosmetic and it's not in bad faith. But, guys, really, the "nu-masculinists" on this forum are the bullies.

Gay teens commit suicide at astronomically higher rates than straight ones. Sociological fact. The X-Men are about realism and removing the blinders.
    And women get breast cancer at astronomically higher rates than men, but hardly any of the female X-Men have ever dealt with that.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    And women get breast cancer at astronomically higher rates than men, but hardly any of the female X-Men have ever dealt with that.
    Well, let's give it to Psylocke. Revanche already got it, so she's predisposed.

People who self-identify as masculine are screaming queens with deep delusions of "ordinariness." It's a desire to be ordinary that animates their purchase of baseball caps and their stubble growth, not a desire to be "masculine." And don't even engage with the bullshit "equal representation" argument. It's a strawman.
    Are you saying gay people are not/ can't be ordinary?

Celeste was Right! ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Then you're using it as a cosmetic and it's not in bad faith. But, guys, really, the "nu-masculinists" on this forum are the bullies.
    NuMasculism has zero to do with cosmetics and everything to do with owning up to your part in society and helping out your feminist sister. It isn't about wearing ballcaps at "Gym's" on Vine.
    "Generation X was the one, pristine, x-team..."- darknessatnoon
    My X-Men Sketch Book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Are you saying gay people are not/ can't be ordinary?
    Ordinariness is delusional and a fantasy of complicity. And a fairly self-harming one to have. Of course gay people can have that fantasy. A lot of the gays in this thread have it.

BANNED

Ordinariness is delusional and a fantasy of complicity. And a fairly self-harming one to have. Of course gay people can have that fantasy. A lot of the gays in this thread have it.
    Ordinariness is subjective. A lot of the gays in this thread think they're ordinary gays and that some other gays aren't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Ordinariness is subjective. A lot of the gays in this thread think they're ordinary gays and that some other gays aren't.
    No, it's not "all relative." Ordinariness is structured by norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    It's called disguised, dimwitted discrimination. Killing off a gay character so his teammates can "learn a lesson?" Using the death of a barely-developed character and defining him by his sexuality in order to further the character growth of his heterosexual teammates who already have had infinite more development than him? That's BS.
    It's pretty old doing that to "freaks" or minorities. I thought it was tired when I was 9.

Understood. So let's get some delusional homos in the comics ASAP. Let's have all kinds of homos, please!

I just don't think Marvel has a lot of effeminte or flamboyant gay characters so that is the issue I don't understand. Most of them are background I admit but which ones do people think are stereotypical?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    It's pretty old doing that to "freaks" or minorities. I thought it was tired when I was 9.
    Seriously.

Minorities aren't living lessons for straight white men.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Effeminate people are allowed to like sports. Sorry to break it to all the losers who spend hours at sports bars, but liking sports doesn't make you "masculine."
    Outside of your weird hatred for people who frequent sports bars, what's your point?
    Is it really that terrible for you that someone would like to see more bears in comics?

BANNED

I don't care about being represented. I guess that means i'm a self-hating homo.

BANNED

No, it's not "all relative." Ordinariness is structured by norms.
    And all cultures have their own norms. Ordinariness is always contextual. You're speaking about the most general form of ordinariness but speaking from your own definition of gay ordinariness. That's two cultures, two forms of ordinariness. Why? Two different norms.

Stop playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    I don't care about being represented. I guess that means i'm a self-hating homo.
    I'd knock that off. I heard that was a clear sign of delusion and will lead to self-destructive fantasies.