Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Court Of Owls vs Faces Of Death

Hastings has both of these stories for half off and I've both looking to start reading a new 52 Batman book. So which one is the best or are they both good?

BANNED

Both are pretty mediocre, but Court of Owls is generally well liked by people here, so I'd go for that. Not to mention, it has Greg Capullo's art and it's a fine introduction for Batman readers.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

CoO isn't mediocre by any means. Awesome story and that's the one I'd suggest. Only thing that sucks is Vol. 1 is only half the story, but Vol. 2 is coming out soon.
    Last edited by maxpower00044; 01-31-2013 at 12:48 PM.

I'd agree with Holmes. Very very mediocre story. Not a lot of memorable stuff. Really bad villains and a pretty dumb twist. But Capullo's artwork is through and through fantastic even if it is often covered by a bunch of long-winded narration and stories from old men.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

I enjoyed the concept for the Court of Owls
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

If CotO is mediocre, Faces of Death is awful. I thought CotO was very enjoyable, especially when I was brand new to comics. No matter how you put it, it's better than Faces of Death.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

BANNED

While CoO is undoubtedly better, that Detective Comics arc isn't that far behind IMHO.

If you just want an entertaining story with Batman in Gotham, you'll enjoy CoO. It has some interesting ideas, but the moment you try to think too hard about the plot, it falls apart.

If the choice is between those two, then probably Court of Owls. I thought the first issue of 'Tec was so bad that I dropped it immediately, so I don't know how it turned out in the end. Court of Owls... Well, I don't think it's that it was bad or anything. The problem is that Scott Snyder is a better technical writer than a lot of guys in comics, and Capullo's art is awesome, so the series had a huge amount of potential. The first 2 or 3 issues were very strong. As the story continued, though, it was clear that the plot was fairly weak, there were some plot holes, and the villain reveal at the end was just sort of ridiculous and clicheed and everything terrible about superhero comics.

EDIT: 1000th post! Truly a landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    While CoO is undoubtedly better, that Detective Comics arc isn't that far behind IMHO.

If you just want an entertaining story with Batman in Gotham, you'll enjoy CoO. It has some interesting ideas, but the moment you try to think too hard about the plot, it falls apart.
    True, what does that Faces of Death go up to? 7? I think maybe 9-12 was the low point were it got worse.

And also OP, if you've read any of Morrison's run, and are willing to look outside of Hastings' sales, go with Batman Inc. I'm sure Holmes would agree on this being better than any other New 52 Bat-book. If you haven't read his full run, read it. I've personally found it to be the most rewarding run I have read, and would absolutely be worth the time and effort, however long and intricate it might be.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

I would take Court of Owls over Faces of Death myself.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Didnt realize Faces of Death was the first 'Tec arc. Yeah, that was pretty horrendous stuff. CoO is leaps, and bounds better in every way.

BANNED

Court of Owls.

Court is really great for new readers of Batman and I found it quite good myself. It serves as a pretty good gateway into the Batworld.

Faces has a by the numbers first issue and just gets worse from there. It's accessible for new readers but will give you a bad view of what Batman is. A generic boring Punch People in the Face Guy with a generic boring Lois Lane rip off girlfriend. It only works if you read it for the unintentional LOLs.

They named a comic 'Faces of Death'? lol seems kind of tasteless.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    They named a comic 'Faces of Death'? lol seems kind of tasteless.
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by dubbauw View Post
    And also OP, if you've read any of Morrison's run, and are willing to look outside of Hastings' sales, go with Batman Inc. I'm sure Holmes would agree on this being better than any other New 52 Bat-book. If you haven't read his full run, read it. I've personally found it to be the most rewarding run I have read, and would absolutely be worth the time and effort, however long and intricate it might be.
    Funny you should say that cause Hastings also had the first volume of Batman Inc on sale. And as for Morrison's run I've read Batman and Son and The Black Glove but, quit after that.