Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JessieMidnight View Post
    She won't die until after Hickman's run lol.

Preview looks good. I like that Carlos Pacheco alternate cover. I'd really like to see him get to do an arc somewhere down the line.
    Smashers ALWAYS die.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Smashers ALWAYS die.
    I think it's okay if Smashers die. They seems replaceable by design.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    With a cast this big, I think it's sort of a given that people will be shuffled to the background (aside from the big name characters like Cap and Stark). That's sort of the price you pay for using casts this big. You're going to end up with a good deal of wall paper.
    That's rather my point. Hickman has a pattern of adding more characters than the story actually needs, which leads to (IMO) shallow characterization for many of them. If he could resist the urge to throw in every idea that pops in his head, he'd have room for more well-rounded characters.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    That's rather my point. Hickman has a pattern of adding more characters than the story actually needs, which leads to (IMO) shallow characterization for many of them. If he could resist the urge to throw in every idea that pops in his head, he'd have room for more well-rounded characters.
    But I think that's sort of the nice thing about Avengers and New Avengers.

You've got one giant army of heroes in one book, and a relatively small intimate cast in another.

So you're sort of getting both.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    You know your point made me think....these costumes the heroes wear aren't functional at all! They're all about tight spandex to show off muscles and T&A! Pouches should be unnecessary! These costumes need more functionality!
    DC has gone the way of body-armor for everyone, which, in terms of praticallity, actually makes sense given the line of work of the characters. Still have to say I prefer most of the old designs. It's a visual medium, and not everything that looks cool in real life looks cool in the paper, nor vice-versa. I think people need to recognize, and accept, the advantages and disadvantages of each medium. Shorts on the outside may look ridiculous in real life, but, when well rendered, they can look good on paper. Army gear may look great on the video-game, but, IMHO, looks REALLY stupid on a super-hero.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    DC has gone the way of body-armor for everyone, which, in terms of praticallity, actually makes sense given the line of work of the characters. Still have to say I prefer most of the old designs. It's a visual medium, and not everything that looks cool in real life looks cool in the paper, nor vice-versa. I think people need to recognize, and accept, the advantages and disadvantages of each medium. Shorts on the outside may look ridiculous in real life, but, when well rendered, they can look good on paper. Army gear may look great on the video-game, but, IMHO, looks REALLY stupid on a super-hero.

Peace
    That sort of depends though.

I don't think EVERY super hero needs army gear. But I think it works for a Captain America or a Punisher, who are in fact soldiers.

BANNED

isn't it sort of disrespectful for captain america to invite all these amateurs to his big team but not invite people he's actively working with in other titles? wanda, havok, and rogue are just his hired mutants for uncanny avenger?

It's sad to say but I'm actually gunna be really disappointed if Kid Gladiator isn't in this issue/arc...

That sort of depends though.

I don't think EVERY super hero needs army gear. But I think it works for a Captain America or a Punisher, who are in fact soldiers.
    That's a good point. They are human after all.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Smashers ALWAYS die.
    I don't think Hickman will kill her off. So at least for awhile this new Smasher won't die. Either way doesn't mean the character can't be made fun, and enjoyable.

But I think that's sort of the nice thing about Avengers and New Avengers.

You've got one giant army of heroes in one book, and a relatively small intimate cast in another.

So you're sort of getting both.
    Not really. There may be a small number of heroes, but the NA storyline looks to be equally ambitious. Expect new civilizations and secret societies to come out of the woodwork.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

With a cast this big, I think it's sort of a given that people will be shuffled to the background (aside from the big name characters like Cap and Stark). That's sort of the price you pay for using casts this big. You're going to end up with a good deal of wall paper.
    I think his Avengers is supposed to spotlight characters like Smasher, though. Sure, Cap and Stark are on the teams and will show up on occasion, but the people getting the bulk of the characterization are the newcomers and guys like Cannonball and Sunspot. People basically without their own ongoing.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

I thought the Shi'ar greatest strength was 1) that their culture was designed around force-assimilation of alien cultures and 2) that they had the Raptors to keep order.

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    Tell that to Mikel Fury's Caterpillar team.
    You mean the bunch of no-name redshirt characters who died in the very same story they were introduced? I'm sorry to tell you this, but I think you probably were the only person who thought that they would make it out alive,
    Last edited by Hound of UIster; 01-31-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of UIster View Post
    You mean the bunch of no-name redshirt characters who died in the very same story they were introduced. I'm sorry to tell you this, but I think you probably were the only person who thought that they would make it out alive,
    I think it's pretty cool that Hickman created throwaway characters people ended up interested in moments before their untimely deaths.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of UIster View Post
    I thought the Shi'ar greatest strength was 1) that their culture was designed around force-assimilation of alien cultures and 2) that they had the Raptors to keep order.

You mean the bunch of no-name redshirt characters who died in the very same story they were introduced? I'm sorry to tell you this, but I think you probably were the only person who thought that they would make it out alive,
    No, I mean the bunch of no-name redshirt characters who were given a spotlight issue for no apparent reason, instead of focusing on the main characters of the book. See also: The Universal Inhumans.
    Mario Di Giacomo