Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,899

    Default REVIEW: Superior Spider-Man, #2

    "Superior Spider-Man" #2 continues the ruse of Doctor Octopus in Peter Parker's body thanks to the imagination and talents of Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman.


    Full review here.

  2. #2

    Default

    I think this review hit the nail on the head. Bravo.

  3. #3
    Illustrator of Stuff Ebonyleopard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    916

    Default

    19 pages for 4 dollars? I'll follow the happenings of this title by way of review. I don't care if it is Spider-Man that's not worth it.
    Creator of Extinctioners published by www.angryvikingpress.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member ViewtifulJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    Good review, I would have gone with 4 stars myself, but he articulates his problems well enough. Ghost Peter, as humorous as he can be in this issue, is already an overbearing presence just two issues into the series. His running commentary takes away from the inherent drama of Spock's machinations, and continues to remind us just how temporary this change is. Slott isn't the most subtle writer in the world, but actually having a running audience surrogate of sorts reacting to damn near every single scene is a bit much.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    This review is moronic. "There's just a little too much hand-wringing and whining from the spirit of Peter Parker" Gee, for someone who's had their body hijacked by their bitter enemy and has to watch helplessly as this person who killed them masquerades as them, I think Peter's handling his ordeal fairly well. And at nineteen pages, this was still one of the fuller reads of any comic this week.

  6. #6

    Default

    I agree - very solid review. It highlights exactly what my suspicion was, when we saw the preview, as well. That there would be too much "Peter." And WAAAAAYYYYY too much Peter there was.

    And looking back at that thread - there was a hail of posts by folks commenting on how all we saw was the beginning of the book w/ Peter's ghosty-self and that I shouldn't jump to conclusions. WEEELLLLLLLL...little bit of vindication there for me, as I called it by a long shot, that it would be an issue. And it was. And I have to say - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

    That said - Otto making the right call at the end of the book, was very well written. Of his own volition. Impressive writing that even Ghost-Peter couldn't diminish.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This review is moronic. "There's just a little too much hand-wringing and whining from the spirit of Peter Parker" Gee, for someone who's had their body hijacked by their bitter enemy and has to watch helplessly as this person who killed them masquerades as them, I think Peter's handling his ordeal fairly well. And at nineteen pages, this was still one of the fuller reads of any comic this week.
    Well sure, he would be and should be pretty upset about his predicament. However, the issue is not that he is hand-wringing and whining, it's that we see too much of it. His reaction is fine, but we don't need to see it for every single scene. We get it already.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This review is moronic. "There's just a little too much hand-wringing and whining from the spirit of Peter Parker" Gee, for someone who's had their body hijacked by their bitter enemy and has to watch helplessly as this person who killed them masquerades as them, I think Peter's handling his ordeal fairly well. And at nineteen pages, this was still one of the fuller reads of any comic this week.
    Given that this is supposed to be a brand new concept...lots of hype and such all going into the book...large boasts of change, etc etc. - I tend to agree w/ the review. I wish the whining spirit of Peter was completely non-existent. I actually wish Slott / Marvel would have waitied 24-30 odd issues, and had an issue dedicated to seeing moments from Peter's perspective. As in - in issue 1, we saw Peter stay Otto's hand at the end. I wish it would have been more like the "reflex" in Avenging 15.1 - and then we'd have a whole issue of the exact same images w/ Peter drawn in, being the holding point (as if he was there the whole time, but edited out).

    But w/ what we have and the way it's been written - I have to agree w/ the review. The whining is ridiculous. I almost wish there was a copy of the book w/ out Peter in it at all, actually.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Well sure, he would be and should be pretty upset about his predicament. However, the issue is not that he is hand-wringing and whining, it's that we see too much of it. His reaction is fine, but we don't need to see it for every single scene. We get it already.
    If it continued like this month after month, issue after issue, I'd see a reason to bitch. But here, it's valid. After all, we only saw Peter for one panel last issue. This is the first time we're able to really gauge what his state of mind is in this situation. And his reactions are useful here, showing his exasperation, anxiety, and occasional begrudging admiration. Peter's responses to Ock's mannerisms also serve an amusing meta function in the storytelling, reflecting what readers would likely be saying themselves ("He's saying super villain stuff! How can no on see through this?!"). By having Peter in running commentary mode, we're also able to observe the ways in which Ock acts contrary to Peter's impulses - sometimes for the better (as some have noted, MJ surely would've died had SpOCk stopped to deal with the mugging he swung past). And by making Peter watch from the sidelines as SpOck courts MJ, it forces a clear confession of how Peter really feels about MJ ("I love you!").

    To make a kneejerk complaint about Peter's presence in this issue shows more than a bit of critical myopia. I'm sure if Peter wasn't in this at all, the complaint would be that Slott revealed him at the end of SSM #1 as a bone to fans and then promptly forgot about him.

  10. #10

    Default

    I completely agree. No matter what Slott will do though, people will complain. I loved this issue and quite enjoyed hearing Peter's case. Ock is doing things that Peter wouldn't think of, in both good and bad ways. If there was one thing I wish Peter would take from his friends (DD mainly) is that as much as stopping crime is important, having a good personal life is just as important. Spider-man always and I mean ALWAYS stops his world to stop a crime. Ock realizes that doing that is stupid and impedes on his personal life. I loved how even Peter was impressed with Ock's patrol app. The main thing that I enjoyed was the second to last page where Ock retracts his feeling for MJ because through all of Peter's memories, they always wound up apart. I think by the year's end we will have Peter in black and white or nearing that state. This issue may not have been monumental, but it was definitely needed. I cannot wait to see where things will go from here. If Peter ever comes back into his body, I think that Ock actually helped him in some ways.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Zawisza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If it continued like this month after month, issue after issue, I'd see a reason to bitch. But here, it's valid. After all, we only saw Peter for one panel last issue. This is the first time we're able to really gauge what his state of mind is in this situation. And his reactions are useful here, showing his exasperation, anxiety, and occasional begrudging admiration. Peter's responses to Ock's mannerisms also serve an amusing meta function in the storytelling, reflecting what readers would likely be saying themselves ("He's saying super villain stuff! How can no on see through this?!"). By having Peter in running commentary mode, we're also able to observe the ways in which Ock acts contrary to Peter's impulses - sometimes for the better (as some have noted, MJ surely would've died had SpOCk stopped to deal with the mugging he swung past). And by making Peter watch from the sidelines as SpOck courts MJ, it forces a clear confession of how Peter really feels about MJ ("I love you!").

    To make a kneejerk complaint about Peter's presence in this issue shows more than a bit of critical myopia. I'm sure if Peter wasn't in this at all, the complaint would be that Slott revealed him at the end of SSM #1 as a bone to fans and then promptly forgot about him.
    Thank you Prof. Warren for reading my mind, except you're completely wrong.

    I have no issue with Peter being around. I wouldn't have minded a bit if Peter wasn't present in issue #2 at all. The issue I have is that I became bored with the gimmick midway through the comic. To express my opinion of a comic is not moronic nor myopic - it's MY opinion of this issue. Taken on its own merits, I objectively revealed what I liked about #2 and what I didn't, hence the three stars.

    As for Slott's writing itself, I happen to enjoy more of Slott's writing than I don't. I just found this issue to be lacking in page count and thin with the gimmick. Sure, we get Peter's true emotions brought to the fore, but by that point, as I said in my review, "I don't need the ghost of Peter Parker to appreciate the evolution of Otto Octavius." Peter could have appeared half as much in this comic and been more potent.

    Slott has the beginnings of a fun adventure here, I'd simply prefer it to be more value-packed. After all, three stars isn't a BAD review.

    Take care, be well and enjoy your comics, sir.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zawisza View Post
    Thank you Prof. Warren for reading my mind, except you're completely wrong.

    I have no issue with Peter being around. I wouldn't have minded a bit if Peter wasn't present in issue #2 at all. The issue I have is that I became bored with the gimmick midway through the comic. To express my opinion of a comic is not moronic nor myopic - it's MY opinion of this issue. Taken on its own merits, I objectively revealed what I liked about #2 and what I didn't, hence the three stars.

    As for Slott's writing itself, I happen to enjoy more of Slott's writing than I don't. I just found this issue to be lacking in page count and thin with the gimmick. Sure, we get Peter's true emotions brought to the fore, but by that point, as I said in my review, "I don't need the ghost of Peter Parker to appreciate the evolution of Otto Octavius." Peter could have appeared half as much in this comic and been more potent.

    Slott has the beginnings of a fun adventure here, I'd simply prefer it to be more value-packed. After all, three stars isn't a BAD review.

    Take care, be well and enjoy your comics, sir.
    It's a review - you're expressing your subjective opinion in regards to the quality of the writing, the art, and the "value" of the issue. There's nothing "objective" about it, nor should there be. It's your opinion, after all. However, your opinion is lacking. Also, Peter's ghost (or whatever he is now) is not a "gimmick." It's an element of the story. Fans often dismissively refer to elements they don't care for as "gimmicks" when they're actually referring to characters, or plot points that - for one reason or another - rub them the wrong way. I don't doubt you became bored with something you didn't like but that's a kneejerk reaction that doesn't bring anything to the table critically.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Imho, the "ghost Peter" damages what is most interesting about this once-promising premise. Unless Slott makes Ock a true terror again, forcing Peter to confront the man who has taken control of his body, I don't see this story line going anywhere particularly interesting. Right now, we have sort of a tepid version of Pete. It's just not working for me--and I was pretty excited about the concept when I first learned about it. I'll stick with it, but I'm not that excited by the story at this point. To me, the best stories are those that deal with Pete as a character and what his life means. This story borders on parody at the moment. Stegman, however, what an improvement over Ramos! Reasonable people can, of course disagree about this, but I've just not been a Ramos fan.
    Last edited by Meehaul; 02-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member frizbfrizb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    203

    Default

    I'm sure Ock will will begin to slip through more and more. We know he gets booted from the Avengers soon so he must do something to piss someone off. One odd thing about the review was that there was no mention of Carlie and her upcoming investigation. I really enjoyed the issue. I can see where some might get tired of ghost Peter but I liked it. Loved seeing the living brain working for ock in the lab too. Got a chuckle out of that. 4 stars from me. Can't wait for #3.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Noronha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This review is moronic. "There's just a little too much hand-wringing and whining from the spirit of Peter Parker" Gee, for someone who's had their body hijacked by their bitter enemy and has to watch helplessly as this person who killed them masquerades as them, I think Peter's handling his ordeal fairly well. And at nineteen pages, this was still one of the fuller reads of any comic this week.
    I said this before and iīll say it again, remember how "annoying" and strangely out of character Peter was back in the 90īs?
    Why was that again? I seem to recall something about other Spider-Man and the need to accept it, i canīt really remember

    I bet Peter is going to get more and more annoying as time goes by and Ock will be more and more sympathetic, and just a better Spider-Man to Peterīs "shock!!"

    Iīm pretty sure this has been done before, how do you get people to not want the main character of the book?
    Make him as annoying as humanly possible!
    Last edited by Noronha; 02-03-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    Reading List
    All New X-Factor/X-Men

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •