Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,866

    Default Robert Kirkman Reflects on 100 Issues of "Invincible"

    Robert Kirkman spoke with longtime Kirkmaniac Augie De Blieck Jr. about hitting 100 issues of "Invincible," expanding the Invincible Universe, the thinking behind the infamous "Death of Everyone" teasers and more.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    The statement I was trying to make -- and I guess it's up to the fans to judge whether or not it worked, and maybe it didn't -- I just wanted to say you can do a monumental, series-changing issue without killing off the main character, or doing something extremely drastic.
    This is precisely why I had a problem with the issue. It didn't feel like it had anything worthy to say besides "this is the new direction we're going in." There were no monumental events per se, just a few choices made by characters.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  3. #3
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    I do a lot of referencing. Thanks to comiXology, I can carry around an iPad that has 100 issues of "Invincible" on it. I don't have to carry around a library of books. I remember everything in "Invincible" well enough to very quickly go, "Oh, Rampage! !hat issue did that guy last show up in? I think it was around the 40s." It takes me five minutes to find the pages he appeared on, and then a very quick read will remind me about everything that's going on.
    I find this very interesting. I always assumed writers kept outlines and fact sheets.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  4. #4
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    This is precisely why I had a problem with the issue. It didn't feel like it had anything worthy to say besides "this is the new direction we're going in." There were no monumental events per se, just a few choices made by characters.
    That's why I personally liked it. I get tired of writers saving up super monumental events for specificly numbered issues. I'm happy that this one was basically just a regular issue of Invincible with more pages. I say let the big events happen where they fall in the story, not when dicated by issue number.

    Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I find this very interesting. I always assumed writers kept outlines and fact sheets.
    I would think most do, seems kinda odd that he doesn't, but it might be so that he can just look it up wherever he is instead of having to carry his notes around with him all the time.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  5. #5
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    That's why I personally liked it. I get tired of writers saving up super monumental events for specificly numbered issues. I'm happy that this one was basically just a regular issue of Invincible with more pages. I say let the big events happen where they fall in the story, not when dicated by issue number.



    I would think most do, seems kinda odd that he doesn't, but it might be so that he can just look it up wherever he is instead of having to carry his notes around with him all the time.
    To your first reply: my only thought is...wasn't this series founded on awesome monumental events? The whole father is evil twist was amazing and really solidified this book as a classic. I'm not saying your point of view is wrong though I can totally see where you're coming from.

    To your second reply: I'm curious if it has to do with how busy he is. He's the president of Image right? Probably doesn't have time for extensive notes.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  6. #6
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Yeah, but it wasn't ever really a thing that the comic did where the awesome monumental events only happened at certain points, they're scattered around. I think having massive events happen in 100 was probably a thing he could have done, but from that interview it sounds like he thought it'd be more fun to purposefully not do that.

    I'm mostly fine with comics having big events in big issues, as long as they do it well, but I like the idea that Invincible is unpredictable and stuff can happen at any time.

    Yeah, added to his business is the Walking Dead TV show and whatever comics he's working on besides The Walking Dead, Invincible, that dinosaur comic, reviewing the story from Guarding the Globe/Invincible Universe to make sure it fits with Invincible, etc...
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  7. #7
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    865

    Default

    double post
    Last edited by wiski; 01-31-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  8. #8
    Kirby is still king ColonelLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Robert Kirkman never does what you think he'll do .. when you turn the page you don't know what you'll find. and that is entertainment. Good interview. and I liked Invincible 100 ..

    Also looking forward to Invincible Universe .. Guarding The Globe, while good .. didn't quite make it for me. In theory at least, this seems like the right concept for a partner book.

  9. #9
    Senior Member capuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    To your first reply: my only thought is...wasn't this series founded on awesome monumental events? The whole father is evil twist was amazing and really solidified this book as a classic. I'm not saying your point of view is wrong though I can totally see where you're coming from.
    But you'll notice that reveal didn't happen in a milestone numbered issue. There were a lot of big and important moments in the issue. He's shown that he can do game changers at any time, it doesn't have to happen at a specific issue number.

    Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    To your second reply: I'm curious if it has to do with how busy he is. He's the president of Image right? Probably doesn't have time for extensive notes.
    Just because he mentioned referencing old comics doesn't mean he doesn't also keep notes. I'm sure he does. He was going to publish a book of TWD notes. I'd be surprised if he only kept notes like that for one series he was writing.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

    Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

  10. #10
    Junior Member dimo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Sorry guys, but I am also not able to fathom the momentum. Clone killed, done, Eve pregnant, done, millions died, done. Right, but we had most of that before. I really hope that it is not as I see it now, a decline in quality, because until recently Invincible was one of the best superhero books out there.

  11. #11
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Yeah, there's gonna be mixed opinions. I personally haven't seen a decline in quality, and am as excited for what happens in future issues as ever, but it all depends on what you liked most about the comic in the past and if you've liked the direction Kirkman has been taking the comic.

    I still see Invincible as the best superhero book available, but I can understand why some people may have changed their minds on that. Not that I agree with them... :p
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  12. #12
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    But you'll notice that reveal didn't happen in a milestone numbered issue. There were a lot of big and important moments in the issue. He's shown that he can do game changers at any time, it doesn't have to happen at a specific issue number.



    Just because he mentioned referencing old comics doesn't mean he doesn't also keep notes. I'm sure he does. He was going to publish a book of TWD notes. I'd be surprised if he only kept notes like that for one series he was writing.
    One could argue "the death of everyone" was a bit of a cheat on anyone expecting a big moment.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  13. #13
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Sorry guys, but I am also not able to fathom the momentum. Clone killed, done, Eve pregnant, done, millions died, done. Right, but we had most of that before. I really hope that it is not as I see it now, a decline in quality, because until recently Invincible was one of the best superhero books out there.
    It definitely reads like a clean slate story which generally isn't something to be jumping up and down for joy over.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  14. #14
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Yeah, but considering what everyone's been through, how they've changed, how many have died and all that good stuff, it's more like a story that kinda reset back to the way things were, but will more than likely be radically different due to how different everyone is compared to before.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  15. #15

    Default

    I'm okay with them switching Guarding the Globe to Invincible Universe as long as they give me some Kaboomerang and/or Best Tiger action once in awhile. Those two are my favorite Invincible characters hands-down.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •