Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    has anybody been called a Nazi yet, or referenced Hitler? If not, none of you are properly dedicated to whatever moral cause you are claiming to represent.
    Zip it Himmler!
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Only 6 years and people forget. Patience is not the only thing that seems to be failing.
    It's just comics. Every new writer is gonna cherry pick what tones an notes they want to hit from the past. 6 years is an eternity. I'm still pissed they made Hulk green! NEVER FORGET!!!
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    Don't be sad Peenchuck! (back to normal now?)
    I was fishing for a better compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Taken as a whole, Hollywood's message about sex isn't nearly as cautionary. And like I said, there's very good reasons for that. I don't want to see Hollywood turn into an after-school special.
    Hollywood doesn't do a great job showing consequences of violence either. The hero is typically in shootout after shootout. Long fist fights. People walk away from plane crashes and jump out of buildings. In the real world, those shootouts and fist fights are much less common, shorter and the damage caused is much more permanent than we typically see. Forget about jumping out of a building ala Die Hard. Movies portray a fantasy in just about every category. Thats part of why I like fantasy stories like (the Hobbit) more than other more "real" genres of movies - at least they are up front with the fact that its all fantasy.

I'll throw my two cents in on SSM2 and say that Slott handled the SpOck relationship angle in a mature fashion. If you're looking at the messaging, it's a pretty good one, exploring how SpOck handles power and responsibility in his own way.
    Yah, its kind of cool how Spock is trying to be good in his own way. He knows how to get good results but he just has no clue how to be a good person. Because he is not a good person! He treats the world and this whole circumstance like a big scientific experiment.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    It's just comics. Every new writer is gonna cherry pick what tones an notes they want to hit from the past. 6 years is an eternity. I'm still pissed they made Hulk green! NEVER FORGET!!!
    It's just...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndxAZfJxfy8
    Last edited by Mark_S; 02-05-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    I didn't think it wasn't going to happen, I knew it wasn't going to happen.
    Same here. Only thing I don't like so far is ghost peter being in it quite a bit, but other than that I'm loving Spock.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 02-05-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hollywood doesn't do a great job showing consequences of violence either. The hero is typically in shootout after shootout. Long fist fights. People walk away from plane crashes and jump out of buildings. In the real world, those shootouts and fist fights are much less common, shorter and the damage caused is much more permanent than we typically see. Forget about jumping out of a building ala Die Hard. Movies portray a fantasy in just about every category.
    I'm talking less about the laws of physics and probablility here and more the general sense that violent heroes tend to suffer and violent villains meet a terrible end. The heroes also tend to value human life. Using Die Hard as an example, look how personally John takes it when Hans kills someone. Even the coked out asshole that wants to bone his wife.

Thats part of why I like fantasy stories like (the Hobbit) more than other more "real" genres of movies - at least they are up front with the fact that its all fantasy.
    Hey, it's not like Lethal Weapon begins with, "The following case is real. Only the names have been changed..."!

Yah, its kind of cool how Spock is trying to be good in his own way. He knows how to get good results but he just has no clue how to be a good person. Because he is not a good person! He treats the world and this whole circumstance like a big scientific experiment.
    Yeah, I think his detachment allows him to say, "If I'm putting MJ at risk, let's break the cycle. Yay me!"

Personally, I like Peter's approach better. You not only have a responsibility to protect people, but to live your life to the fullest with all the risks that entails. But I love that Ock went such a wildly different route, one that might get in Pete's head and make him wonder.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Personally, I like Peter's approach better. You not only have a responsibility to protect people, but to live your life to the fullest with all the risks that entails. But I love that Ock went such a wildly different route, one that might get in Pete's head and make him wonder.
    Ironically in some ways its as if Spock (the one from Star Trek) took over Peter's body. Well, ok, the mean, mirror-universe Spock.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ironically in some ways its as if Spock (the one from Star Trek) took over Peter's body. Well, ok, the mean, mirror-universe Spock.
    Ha, you're right! Now we just need Dark Mirror Image Pete to confront SpOck.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Ha, you're right! Now we just need Dark Mirror Image Pete to confront SpOck.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Yeah, I think his detachment allows him to say, "If I'm putting MJ at risk, let's break the cycle. Yay me!"
    I did like, however, that SpOck considered it consistant with keeping his promise to Peter. He does seem to be serious about it. It's actually interesting that SpOck *is* wanting to keep that promise as best he can.

I think we're all missing out on the biggest retcon of all: That Peter Parker has appearently been saying "Crazy Town Banana Pants" for years! So much so that Carlie and MJ say it. MJ hasn't been with him in years, so it must go pretty far back!

Dan continues to leave his mark on Spider-History

BUUUWAHAHAHAHA I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING WHEN I READ THE ISSUE!!!

I haven't been looking forward to spider=man issues in years...good job Slott. This is the first title I read on my pile.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

HAHAHA Crazy Town Banana Pants better last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp View Post
    Imply? Everybody that worked on SSM said over and over and over again that there will not be any rape in the comic. What more could you want? Besides, it turned out that the guy who started the rape thread was some horrible little troll of a person with an axe to grind. You know, doing that whole pathetic routine of starting up a brand new account (one with no previous posts, for instance) just to keep up with a sad little vendetta.

Oh, wait...
    You can have no intention of going through with something, but still imply it might happen. I don't want to get in the way of your liitle rant but I thought it was worth mentioning.