Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Proposal 1.

THE HOLY GRAIL WAR

The teams must get involved in the Fourth Holy Grail War and win it.

What is the Holy Grail War? In a nutshell, a complex magic ritual in which seven wizards summon each one Servant, a heroic figure of history or myth magically brought to life and given random-ass superpowers. The ritual requires that the Servants fight each other to the "death", since the destruction of the Servants releases magic that is used to form the "Holy Grail", a wish granting device that is supposed to grant a wish to the winner of the conflict. This can be accomplished through direct battle or by killing the summoning wizard, since this deprives the Servant of his power source generally causing it to vanish away.

What do the teams know? They know that the conflict is secretly fought within the boundaries of the city of Fuyuki, Japan, under the supervision of a Catholic priest who makes sure things don't get too out of hand. They know the bare generalities of the Holy Grail War (such as the Servant classes) and magic in the setting (including abilities that any magic user in the setting can be reasonably expected to know, such as hypnosis, use of familiars for long range scouting and body enhancement). They do NOT know the identities of the summoned Servants, nor do they know the identities of the summoners.

What do the teams get to begin with? 1) Standard equipment; 2) Characters in the Mage slot get to learn a spell that lets them become Masters of a Servant, under certain circumstances (see below for details); 3) Nothing else, not even the ability to speak Japanese, so if there are no Japanese speakers in a team, they might as well start buying Japanese-English dictionaries.

What must the teams do?
    a) They must identify at least one of the summoners. Seeing that the Masters mostly try to stay in hiding for security reasons, this would require both detective work and probably some hocus pocus to find mystic trails.
    b) To win the Holy Grail War, a wizard HAS to have a Servant, but by the time the teams show up all have been summoned. So they HAVE to steal somebody else's Servant, either by intimidating the Master into surrendering control (which is a fairly tricky thing to try) or by taking somebody's Command Seals, which are magic symbols gained by the summoners and which give them a link with their summoned Servant and a measure of control.
    c) After getting a Servant of their own, the team has to try to defeat the other Masters and Servants, to make possible the formation of the Holy Grail, while also being discreet enough to keep the existence of the supernatural a secret. And seeing that some of the summoned Servants in this conflict are EGREGIOUSLY powerful (at least for the power levels in play here), this is easier said than done.

Though it is pretty difficult to blow this particular masquerade open (in canon, a Servant summoned Cthulhu in front of the city and they managed to hush it up), Bad Shit of a 100% lethal nature is guaranteed to happen if somebody goes even an hair too crazy, so teams are advised to play it as discretely as they can.

Who wins?

Whoever gets to make the wish, of course.

And, if no team manages it, whoever is believed to make it closer to the goal line.

If you believe that they both are equally likely to make it exactly the same distance, just give your nod to whoever you think will leave the smaller body count in getting there.
    Last edited by Estrecca; 02-18-2013 at 07:37 AM.

BANNED

I'll have to read your links and do my research before commenting on that, because I'm unfamiliar with the source material and can't get my head around what's going on yet.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

'Alternate weeks'.

Week 1 will be a battle between teams, as per rumblers leagues. Only difference is, it may involve prep and resources depending on the location and specifics of the scenario.
    Week 2 will be a challenge, like the one Estrecca just wrote. But it won't be a versus challenge. Your team will simply get the points if enough people think you can do it. It's not going to be 'Estrecca vs Oggy: Which team does it best', it's actually going to be 'All teams do this challenge, can they do it? Yes or no?' Whereby 'yes' grants you the points, 'no' doesn't.
    Week 3 will be like week 1.
    Week 4 will be like week 2.
    Week 5 will be like week 1.
    Week 6 will be like week 2 etc.

This will make for a 22 week/match season, however, which might seem a bit much (hear me out). Every team will therefore compete against every other team, and every team will compete in 11 other scenarios. But, remember, strats AREN'T required, merely encouraged. So 22 weeks of consecutive contributions aren't necessary.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Stewart View Post
    I'll have to read your links and do my research before commenting on that, because I'm unfamiliar with the source material and can't get my head around what's going on yet.
    *shrugs*

Just a proposal.

For research, the wiki is more or less adequate and if you have specific questions I can answer, just ask.

However, in the event that you decide to give the source novels a try, you can find the translations to English here.

Also, I am tentatively fine with the outline you suggest.

This is bad comedy. Schornforce's Avatar

Ideas for scenarios, please let me know if I need to change them or elaborate on 'em, or if you just plain don't like them...:

The Last Castle- The Fables' homelands have all but fallen and all that remains is a single castle that's rather battleworn. The entire area outside the castle is surrounded by various orcs, trolls, and goblins. There are also a few giants and dragons. Your enemies are armed with usual medieval weaponry (swords, knives, axes, maces, arrows, catapaults, etc.) and there are one or two competent mages amongst the enemy army as well. Their leader is a pompous, but reasonably skilled human general who gives you one day to surrender and swear allegiance to their master. Your team, however, will use that day for other means.

Your team must defend the castle and protect about 50 Fables (who cannot assist you in any way, other than moral support or directions around the castle) long enough for them to make their escape in a boat. The boat must travel three miles away to the portal. You must not only protect them while they're in the castle, but also protect their journey from the enemy. There are about 20 enemy soldiers for every one being within the castle (including foot soldiers and Fables), but only about three giants and three dragons. Let's say the mages are about akin to Willow (season 8) power-wise. The human general has no powers other than his supposed intellect and skill.

Justice- The CBR members who came up with each team have been captured and are being held by the Crime Syndicate of Amerika on their moon base. Your team has one week before the CBR member is executed. Can they find out how to A) Get to the moon base B) Enter the base C) fight or evade Owlman, who's on duty before he summons the rest of the CSA D) fight the CSA (Owlman, Superwoman, Ultraman, Power Ring, and Johnny Quick) if Owlman gets the word out and E) rescue, you, the CBR poster who joined the team together in the first place?

There are various safeguards akin to the JLA watchtower-- motion sensors in the prison area, heat signature recognition, alarms, security cameras, laser defense systems, ocular and vocal systems to bypass, and coded locks. Also, Owlman is essentially Batman, only, evil, so you have to contend with him and his security protocols.

Your team, again, has one week to infiltrate the base, but if at any time they are caught and/or the CSA gets wind of what you're doing, they can exterminate the CBR poster immediately and your team loses, so stealth and planning are key alongside might.

Cruel Mode- Your team is dropped into the Ark (from the Transformers G1 cartoon). There is the computer Teletraan 1, a refueling station for your robot, a basic chemistry set, and various electronics around. Your team is also given a 30 day supply of food and a first aid kit. They are given one hour to get situated because once that's done, 100 polygon and wireframe virtual beings drop down from the sky relentlessly for one full year. The beings are expert fighters (about the level of movie Black Widow) and every time you beat one, another drops down from the sky. Your team must survive for one full year while defending your team and the ark from the invading battlers.

League of Assassins- Someone on your team is targeted for elimination. No one on your team knows who the target is or when the assassins will strike... or if they'll strike all at once or not, but you *do* have a list of who is gunning for the target: Deadpool (616 Marvel), Deathstroke (DCU), one T-1000, one Predator warrior, Boba Fett (Star Wars incl. EU), Prometheus (DCU), Taskmaster (616 Marvel), and Dorothy Gale (Fables). Can your team defend against them whether or not they attack immediately after you discover this information or a random time period from then? Flexibility and contingencies would likely be key. The only thing your team has after arriving is the list and one paragraph descriptions of each assassin. Plus, any standard equipment. Other than the assassins and your team, the world they're in is exactly like the real world.
    Last edited by Schornforce; 02-18-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added one.

Quote Originally Posted by Schornforce View Post
    Iron Giant would be waaaaaay out of Cyborg's league, though, so it probably wouldn't have been allowed. ;)

I had some particularly evil team ideas, that were technically within the rules, but weren't in the spirit of things. Perhaps once Bob posts his picks, I'll post some of my ideas for the team that might have been.

I am *so* glad I got them. Was worried someone else would nab them. I hope my strategizing will be at least decent for these things, but I guess we'll see!

As for the other teams, I admit, I don't know a LOT of the folks on these teams... but hopefully the scenarios won't be the sort where I have to try and do research.

I'll try and think up some scenarios today.

KJS- if this is successful, a 'tacular tourney along this vein could be fun!
    The Gremlins were actually going to be my army, mostly because I had Katara and could make an infinite army. The one real problem with them is their weakness to sunlight, so if we're fighting during the day, your army is sludge. If we're fighting during a storm, you have a serious numbers advantage.

Rather than the Gremlins then, I went with power and durability. Not quite happy, still would have preferred the Gremlins, I guess I could have picked Gremlins from the second movie, but wasn't sure if that would be allowed as they weren't really a different source, and weren't nearly as chaotic as the first movie.

And what's wrong with Maria Traydor Estrecca? I'd have figured some of my other picks would have been a little more threatening.
    Co-Winner of Character Creation Battle # 2
    Won Character Creation Battle # 5
    Finalist of Tami's Create a Martial Artist Tournament

Winner of Cleric of Hell Brigade's Secret Marvel Tournament
    Winner of KJS1982's Video Game, TV, Movie, Comic/Book Tourney

Won the Internet: 1 time
    Awesom Award: 2 times

Shamelessly plugging my fanfiction:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/576259/

That which does not kill you, pick up a knife and make sure it doesn't get a second chance.

Trent Boyet is a liar sir Darth Drizzle's Avatar
    Westside of the Deathstar, plottin and scheming.

I will come up with scenarios soon. For now some team outlooks.

KJ- Very versatile team with adaptability and the sweetest ride in the League.

Bobi- Heavyweights like Storm and Machine Man help this roster come toghether.

Oggy- One of the most diverse character teams in the league. Will be fun to watch.

Vycesyn- EWOKS!! Nuff said.

Stigma Rex- Another variety team with Animorphs and their changing added to it.

Sharkerbob- A crazy mix of characters that may come toghether to shine.

Mailed- Ditto here. Like the above team.

Moonknight- You took my clonetroopers!! So I borrowed Storm.:sm

Schornforce- Another trail mix of characters that seem like they can get it done.

Estrecca- Another strong and adaptable team. The easter bunny is a sleeper pick that shouldn't be overlooked.

Cleric- Mech heavy squad that packs a lot of offense plus Tsunade is bad news for opponents.
    Last edited by Darth Drizzle; 02-18-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    ResIpsaLoquitur:
    This is one of those "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" relationships--Spidey and the Hulk are "absolutely nothing" to each other.

The generic Gremlins from movies are pretty much the same-- aside from appearance. I thought about the sunlight thing and chose accordingly. ;) There were more powerful choices, but I thought they'd be fun in this competition. :)

BANNED

There are 3 versions of Storm in this competition!

The generic Gremlins from movies are pretty much the same-- aside from appearance. I thought about the sunlight thing and chose accordingly. ;) There were more powerful choices, but I thought they'd be fun in this competition. :)
    Is this why you took the Weather Wizard's wand? To make storms and protect your army? I considered the dilemna when I was looking at the Gremlins too, but I really, REALLY needed the Flowing Rune for several reasons. I would have preferrd the True Water Rune, but being able to create an ice age level event would be too much.

That which does not kill you, pick up a knife and make sure it doesn't get a second chance.

Trent Boyet is a liar sir Darth Drizzle's Avatar
    Westside of the Deathstar, plottin and scheming.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Stewart View Post
    There are 3 versions of Storm in this competition!
    I know its crazy right? ONLY 3! There should have been 5-6 in my humble opinion.
    ResIpsaLoquitur:
    This is one of those "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" relationships--Spidey and the Hulk are "absolutely nothing" to each other.

Team Run Downs

[B]KJ Stewart: Some really strong opponents here, as well as some really unexpected picks. A lot of Buffyverse characters, which is no surprise given KJ's avatar, but I know nothing about. Will be fun to watch as KJ is always a heavy threat.

Bobisbeast: Still waiting on completing picks, but some really powerful characters. Storm in particular seems over the power curve, unless she's been depowered in the comics, but I'll wait for the rest of Bob's picks to see how much trouble we're in.

Oggy: If anything, I should be known for the unexpected, and I have some unexpected plans laid out. I am disappointed I lost the ID Alien Fighters and Gremlins, but I think my team is overall solid and I've got more than a few surprises for everyone coming.

vycesyn: Brilliantly retro. I am curious as to Simon McKay, is that from the old telvision series the Wizard staring Warwick Davis? That would be a really odd choice as there are much smarter geniuses, though he did think out of the box quite a bit.

Stigma Rex: Lots of power, and the fact that you've geared up with quite a few intelligent characters make winning scenerios pretty much in your favor. Liking this team quite a bit.

Sharkerbob: Really have to admit I know very few of your characters, though Dinobot I think is an absolute asset. Should be fun to watch.

mailedbypostman1: Mina Tang is an interesting choice. Some characters I know, others I don't. Will look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Estrecca: Freaking Sword of Omens...enough said.

Darth Drizzle: Bioware attack? Good solid team with a good basis of mass damage. I also had considered Charazard, but ultimately decided against it.

moonknight11: Lots and lots of diversity I see here. Should be a good group.

Schornforce: This team worries me. Not only do you have Dumbledore as your leader, but he's not your primary wizard. Plus Mr. Incredible for strength, Wash as your pilot, who was my backup to Joker, another excellent choice, and damn you for taking my Gremlins.

Cleric of Hell's Brigade: No surprise you took the Major from Ghost in the Shell. I am concerned about Loki, isn't he way too powerful? It didn't say movie version, just comic version. Given the wide range of morality between some of the characters, I'm curious how they will play out.

Overall, I see a lot of really strong teams and I can imagine every fight being tough. Mixing it in with the scenerios will be fun too, so its not simply building huge strategies each week. I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Is this why you took the Weather Wizard's wand? To make storms and protect your army? I considered the dilemna when I was looking at the Gremlins too, but I really, REALLY needed the Flowing Rune for several reasons. I would have preferred the True Water Rune, but being able to create an ice age level event would be too much.
    That would be telling... but yes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Team Run Downs

Schornforce: This team worries me. Not only do you have Dumbledore as your leader, but he's not your primary wizard. Plus Mr. Incredible for strength, Wash as your pilot, who was my backup to Joker, another excellent choice, and damn you for taking my Gremlins.
    Hee hee. There'll be plenty of magic from my team, but my mage is a specialist whereas the others are quite versatile. I also tried to throw in some science types to even things out. :) If you had nabbed the Gremlins, I would've considered Critters, Borg, Wooden Soldiers from Fables, and a few other nasty ones (which I'd post as my 'evil' team idea once Bobisbeast chooses his characters).

That would be telling... but yes. :P

Hee hee. There'll be plenty of magic from my team, but my mage is a specialist whereas the others are quite versatile. I also tried to throw in some science types to even things out. :) If you had nabbed the Gremlins, I would've considered Critters, Borg, Wooden Soldiers from Fables, and a few other nasty ones (which I'd post as my 'evil' team idea once Bobisbeast chooses his characters).

Well, I have a few surprises of my own, none of which I think you'll enjoy.

At this point though, its difficult to tell which team is the most serious threat. There's quite a few that are highly specialized, while others are highly diverse. Some good, some evil and some a strange mix. It'll be neat to see how this works out.

I think for my team, they're "Just this side of gray"

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigma Rex View Post
    They can, its part of Andalite military training, though most are no where as expirienced as the Animorphs and don't have the same range of morphs. The only exception was one Andalite who was allergic to the procedure, and couldn't do it, but he in no way was standard for the Andalites.
    They should probably have the andalite home world animals as their morph set.

Overall, I think my team turned out okay for being not really planned out in advance. The theme was "dark, sneaky" type, so the results mostly went there.
    Last edited by mailedbypostman1; 02-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

If you had nabbed the Gremlins, I would've considered Critters
    Argh, those evil beasts
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex