Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Fearless Defenders: Cullen Bunn & Will Sliney Q&A

Hey, folks!

Here we go! Here's a place where you can ask us your questions regarding FEARLESS DEFENDERS.

I'm not sure how long this thread will remain active. At least a day or two, I think.

As you might expect, we do have a few guidelines that'll make this more fun for everyone.

1. Don't expect answers to questions that are spoiler-related. We know, people get frustrated with "non answers" but that's the best you'll get when it comes to spoilers.
    2. Let's leave the back-and-forth between posters on matters they agree and disagree with in other threads.
    3. Be patient. We're crazy busy, we're on different time zones, and we've got errands and such to attend to, but we will try to answer as we can!
    4. Don't be disrespectful of our peers. There's too much snark in comics as it is, and we just don't have time for it.
    5. Let's all be friendly.
    6. And as we know you're curious about the team line-up, we're not going to spend too much time telling you who will or won't be in the book.
    7. If you want to ask us about our other work, too, such as Will's CELTIC WARRIOR or my SIXTH GUN or HELHEIM, we won't complain too much.

Thanks for letting us participate in this!

All right! Let's get to it!
    Cullen Bunn

My Site | My Twitter | My Tumblr

Fearless Defenders Artist wsliney's Avatar

Good morning all from Ireland!

Cool Fearless Defenders: Cullen Bunn & Will Sliney Q&A

Alright I might as well get the ball rolling with two questions here (damn 5 am is an ungodly hour)

1) among the plethora of guest stars you plan on having for the upcoming Fearless Defenders will Songbird & BAD Girls Inc be among them (you did mention you wanted to use the BAD Girls for a story or two {Captain America &...} and since Songbird is without a title so to speak so FD is the ideal title for those four particular characters since those four characters would fit the dysfunctional mold of the Defenders (2 are former criminals {Songbird & Diamondback} 2 are currently criminals {Black Mamba & Asp} so odds are high that all four would butt heads with Val, Misty, Dani, and Hypolyte (sp my bad on spelling it is morning after all ) which made Defenders back in the day an amazing read (The Defenders would save the world, then get into a fight playing poker hehhehheh)

2) Will you get a chance to use the Enigma Force or the character Black Wulf for Fearless Defenders? (again you mentioned something about using them in another title, and it would be a shame to let them go unexplored.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I will check out Fearless Defenders regardless (It looks awesome from what I saw in the previews) now I gotta go make coffee.
    Last edited by arachne_azure; 01-31-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Yay, I think I'm first! (Or second, on edit). It's 8:10 PM here. First, Cullen and Will, thanks for teaming up to give us Defenders. Now for my question: how much of Marvel do you plan to represent? There are so many races and subraces out there, are you going to do a United Nations? What about an Inhuman, an Eternal, a Deviant, an Atlantean, since you've got the Asgardian, cyborg human, mutant, and Olympian cultures covered?
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Two questions.

Whereas the Valkyrie is a big part of the group, any chance of seeing some cameo of Amora the Enchantress or if there wasn´t that possibility, to see the Valkyrie´s reaction to the young Sylvie Lushton (Enchantress II) from the Young Masters?

In Addition to the members mentioned in several interviews (Valkyrie, Danielle Moonstar, Misty Knight and Warrior Woman), any chances of seeing unexpected surprises about future members on the team?

Falsworth Groundskeeper highwayguy's Avatar

Good evening, Cullen. Good afternoon, Will.

Where did the idea of teaming up Misty Knight and Valkyrie come from? It's such an unlikely but compelling pairing. I've read so many comparisons to the Luke Cage & Iron Fist friendship already.

I know you'd rather avoid too many questions about the upcoming Fearless Defenders line-up. But, on a personal level, I have to ask; is there any chance of British heroes (or villains) appearing soon?

Thanks for your time, guys. All the best.
    WE NEED YOU!!
    Join in with Comicbookresources' Age of Marvels for fan-made and fan-approved solicitations!

Hey all, we can't tell you much about the upcoming line up. I can say that I will be drawing quite an impressive group of heroes within the first arc.
    As for how much of Marvel we plan to represent? Well I simply want to draw everybody, and I won't be happy until I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Two questions.

Whereas the Valkyrie is a big part of the group, any chance of seeing some cameo of Amora the Enchantress or if there wasn´t that possibility, to see the Valkyrie´s reaction to the young Sylvie Lushton (Enchantress II) from the Young Masters?

In Addition to the members mentioned in several interviews (Valkyrie, Danielle Moonstar, Misty Knight and Warrior Woman), any chances of seeing unexpected surprises about future members on the team?
    Here's a little known fact: At one point, the Enchantress was actually going to be a reluctant member of the team. But that is not currently in the cards. How many blonde Asgardians can one team handle?

That said, given Amora's back story with Valkyrie (and that she is one of my favorite characters), she will certainly appear. Even before she appears, you'll see the repercussions of her past dirty dealings.

As for surprises... that's a definite. There are new characters coming. And there's an existing character who will be joining the team that I'm sure no one will be expecting. And she's awesome. I'm really excited about the issue when she shows up.
    Cullen Bunn

Falsworth Groundskeeper highwayguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wsliney View Post
    Hey all, we can't tell you much about the upcoming line up. I can say that I will be drawing quite an impressive group of heroes within the first arc.
    As for how much of Marvel we plan to represent? Well I simply want to draw everybody, and I won't be happy until I do.
    Bit of a general question here but which Marvel character gives you most satisfaction to draw? Childhood favorite perhaps. (That's not a roundabout way to squeeze any spoilers out of you. )
    WE NEED YOU!!
    Join in with Comicbookresources' Age of Marvels for fan-made and fan-approved solicitations!

Quote Originally Posted by highwayguy View Post
    Good evening, Cullen. Good afternoon, Will.

Where did the idea of teaming up Misty Knight and Valkyrie come from? It's such an unlikely but compelling pairing. I've read so many comparisons to the Luke Cage & Iron Fist friendship already.

I know you'd rather avoid too many questions about the upcoming Fearless Defenders line-up. But, on a personal level, I have to ask; is there any chance of British heroes (or villains) appearing soon?

Thanks for your time, guys. All the best.
    Misty was always in consideration for the team because she brings so much to the table in terms of history, connection to the Marvel Universe, character, and coolness. At first, though, I wasn't sure where she would show up. I think our editor Ellie Pyle was the first to suggest that she should be Valkyrie's sole partner, at least for an issue. From that suggestion, the idea sort of took off. I think Valkyrie and Misty are going to become one helluva a team in the Marvel U... and their interaction is something I simply love.

As of issue 4, I realized that I like the dynamic between Dani and Hippolyta just as much.

Hmm... What do you think? Should the Fearless Defenders join the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation for a couple of issues? Maybe there could be a tag team bout!

As for British characters... Definitely. It might be too early for me to remember who and when.

Isn't Elsa Bloodstone British?
    Cullen Bunn

Quote Originally Posted by wsliney View Post
    How many superhero types are you drawing in issues 5 and 6? I lost count.
    Cullen Bunn

Quote Originally Posted by highwayguy View Post
    Bit of a general question here but which Marvel character gives you most satisfaction to draw? Childhood favorite perhaps. (That's not a roundabout way to squeeze any spoilers out of you. )
    For me it depends on two things. Firstly on a nostalgic basis it depends on how much I liked the character when younger and secondly its purely down to how much fun they are to draw.

For that reason Val and Misty balance out for me. I loved everything Asgardian when younger but Misty can push herself a little more when it comes to expressions.

Outside of the Fearless Defenders I have always been a massive Spidey fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bunn View Post
    How many superhero types are you drawing in issues 5 and 6? I lost count.
    Haha. I'm loving it!

How much impact did Wood's upcoming X-Men title impact the roster? Were any of those women going to join?

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Hello Mr. Cullen. Thank-you so much for doing this, SO EXCITED for Fearless Defenders (and X-men). I was a big fan of Fear, Itself: Fearless; and am thrilled BOTH Valkyrie and Lady Sif are getting Marvel love right now! Thank-you also, Mr. Sliney for your already bee-Utiful work on the series.

QUESTIONS:
    1. One of the earliest examples of an all female group was Cap's enemies the Femizons. Did you draw any inspirations from that group? Or do you feel that kind of all female group be best forgotten?
    2. the Femizon leader (Superia, recently resurrected by Bendis in Dark Avengers) was from an alternate world Femizonia. Will the Fearless Defenders be alternate world trekkers, as well as world trekkers?
    3. when you were writing Fearless, did you know Fearless Defenders was in the pipe line? Are there any yummy "easter eggs" hidden in that series?
    4. obviously you can't reveal who is in the cast. Can you reveal one character you wanted to use BUT in the end couldn't/didn't?
    5. you've done a lot of work with Venom and Valkyrie (who are now together). Did you have a hand in their partnering?
    6. (assuming this doesn't spoil a cast member) if you could resurrect one (more) Marvel female character, who would it be? (and no, Hippolyta can't be your answer )
    7. we know Hippolyta is in the cast. Can we assume you were a fan of Incredible Hercules? And if so, does the idea of "little mythogical stories" in each issue appeal to you?
    8. many consider the Western world live in a "post-feminist" world. Do you agree with this? Is the idea of feminism and women of the world (esp. in a super world) something you want the series to touch on? Or do you want it to be about great heroes, who happen to be all women? (I don't have a personal stake in either choice, I'm just curious/trying to ask something "smart" -- probably failing)
    9. Mr Sliney, what do you have anything to say to Wonder Women fans who don't know their Greek mythology; and therefore don't know Hippolyta wore a golden girdle over a thousand years before ANYONE knew who WW was?
    10. who were you most excited to draw in the series? Who's costume did you feel "offended your eyes" and needed re-designing?
    11. were you influenced by any periods in history in your designs? I remember Mr. Bagley said he found "Victorian metalwork" helped design Songbird's golden harness.
    12. if you could draw one women (who isn't in the cast, but in Marvel) who would it be?
    13. who do we praise for the covers? Who's the mastermind of all the wonderful concepts?

Sorry for all the questions (ignore most as just ramblings), I'm just shooting from the hip. :)
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-31-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."