Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    DC has had organizations called "the 100" and "the 1000" before (which I think was actually the same organization). I don't recall if we ever got an explanation for the names. So I would assume whatever the "900" is it will get referred to as often as it would if it was called "the Boogeymen".
    I do wonder if that little nugget, the naming of the 900, wouldn't be better served if it was left for fans to find out in the book instead of a press release.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Maybe an over-sized book, with an awesome guest writer/past writer/or even multiple stories with multiple writers. A story (or stories) that celebrate Batman's (and Detectives) rich history.

Look, maybe this story will be good, but to me, working the "900" into the actual plot of the book, sounds more gimmicky than anything else.
    History no longer matters to DC, so why would they celebrate a milestone with anything more than a gimmicky cover and/or plot? It's not like they were planning on having an issue with Slam Bradley, Sherlock Holmes, and Elongated Man again.

I'm going to state the obvious. DC is moving further into the' gimmicks before story' zone. DC editorial has made a mess of most of it's comic-book line. I've gone from 15 books a month to zero. So I'm no longer there audience. I keep checking in because I love comic books and the characters. There are a few books that are good like Snyder's Batman but that last holdout fell when the tied all the books into a big event. So to me this focus on gimmicky covers is a symptom of an editorial disease that too often puts flash before substance.

At this point, I just hope they come up with something special for the New Detective Comics #27... or will they ignore the significance of that issue number, because DCnU Batman's first appearance was in Justice League #1, 2011?
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Underwhelmed with this, but I think they're some potential for some big surprises in some other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The way some of you people freak out over these gimmicks its like you were just introduced to DC and Marvel yesterday. This is what they do. It doesn't preclude the possibility of a decent story as well, so why freak out to such a degree so early. If it ends up producing nothing but crap issues that mess with the flow of what's going on at the time, then I'll be ticked. Until then though I don't really see the big deal. The 0 month was a gimmick, yet managed to produced stories that actually meant something to the majority of titles, so I don't see any reason to at least not hope for the same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcupeth View Post
    This is silly but there's no reason to "give up on DC" or anything extreme like that. It's just marketing tripe, don't pay attention and move on. Layman and Fabok have been doing great on Tec so i expect good things from this issue, nevermind the damn cover
    I'm not "freaking out" about this . . . I've been seeing a steady decrease in my overall enjoyment of DC comics for a while now. I gave the New 52 a good chance to impress me (I think over a year is a fair amount of time), and while I still like a few titles, there are more and more I've given up on. The fact that DC hasn't been doing anything positive (from my stand point) to correct mistakes and seems more like a sinking ship without a captain makes me wonder how much longer I stay aboard or just abandon ship permanently.

(And please, nobody say "you won't do it" unless you know my past history as a reader and consumer of DC comics.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Maybe an over-sized book, with an awesome guest writer/past writer/or even multiple stories with multiple writers. A story (or stories) that celebrate Batman's (and Detectives) rich history.

those were the days
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

'Tec has been a pretty stale title for a while now. Not really wowed by this.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    All good examples, but this^ encompasses it perfectly, imo.

It doesn't even have to be all about Batman (as it shouldn't be, with "Detective."). Starting with this (900th) issue, they could have started a back-up with Slam Bradley, or something. I'd actually like to see both Detective and Action return to their anthology roots. Obviously, both Batman and Superman, should be front and center, but the back-ups shouldn't necessarily be tied to either of them.

Whatever, I just see this as a missed opportunity.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by imtav View Post
    Hmm, supplementing stories AND art with gimmick.
    Welcome back to the 1990s, eh?
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

This has been bugging me for about 2 weeks since I first saw it solicited. I haven't really been enjoying Detective all that much anyway, so the $7.99 price tag seemed like reason enough to drop it.

But the sort of shout out gimmicky 900? I mean, they have gone out of there way to tell us this is a new Batman, nothing that came before applied (unless it was in some strange 5 year window, sort of), so why should any part of this book be able to lay claim as a 900th issue tie in to a previous incarnation that no longer exists?

So I love that we have some people saying it should have MORE of a tie to the previous series, and others who think it should have LESS of a tie to the previous series. Goes to show how hard DC's job is.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

BANNED

So I love that we have some people saying it should have MORE of a tie to the previous series, and others who think it should have LESS of a tie to the previous series. Goes to show how hard DC's job is.
    Pretty much everything allways serves as an example of how wrong DC is. If they do a less dark book, they are wrong because that is not what comics are now. If they do a dark book, they are wrong because that isn't what comics should be. And it goes on, and on, and on...

Why can't they pay tribute to the past while telling a story that moves the character's world forward? That's what anniversary issues should be about, imo, especially one with such a high number. It's a great opportunity to expand the world of Batman and DC itself. DC had quite a few detectives that readers are still asking for, and for new readers it just gives them "new" characters to grow attached to.

Of course, we're all talking about this with little idea of what goes on inside the story. It will be interesting to see what's really contained between the covers, and hopefully it's more than Batman vs Man-bat army.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

honestly, I think there are some people on here that no matter what DC does it would just be complained about and looked down on. I think this will be a fun unexpected month, which is how I see DC trying to play this - what I see as an April Fools day kind of month. I think many readers are perhaps so cynical about comics they cannot see how others can like, even enjoy what DC is doing. It makes me wonder if those who are not really reading the books are the ones making the biggest comotion.