View Poll Results: How Clark should react to the discovery of his powers and his alien origin?

Voters
43. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • With indifference (Who cares, all of that matters nothing to me.)

4 9.30%
  • Rejection/Fear (No, I didn't want these powers, I didn't want to know where I come from.)

4 9.30%
  • Shock/Identity Crisis (All my life has been a lie, I'm not even a human being!)

11 25.58%
  • Inadequacy (I should to do something better than live in a farm. I'm a failure.)

1 2.33%
  • Curiosity/Stupor (Wow, that's incredible, I want to know more about my powers and my heritage.)

11 25.58%
  • Happiness (Finally I know the truth. Cool, thanks to this ability I can do amazing things!)

7 16.28%
  • Madness/Megalomania (I'm a god among men, I'll rule the world! BWAHAHA)

2 4.65%
  • Other

3 6.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clark's reaction to the discovery of his alien origin and powers

The inspiration for this poll came to me watching a scene of Suburgatory.

Skip at 0:50:

(Can you imagine such a scene in a Superman origin story?)

How Clark should react to the discovery of his powers and his alien origin? And how would you react if one day you found out you're an alien, and also have super powers?
    Last edited by the Sun God; 01-30-2013 at 12:58 PM.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

My first thought would be "what powers would I have?" If I was an alien it would explain much...

I think I'd be freaked and then go into hiding and find a way to defend myself against all government agents looking for me. (Or pick up a lot of 'action", depending on the power.)
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

I love the idea that he would initially feel completely alien and barely human; I don't know if I'd like the cliche of him thinking that his whole life is a lie, but the realization that he's henceforth gonna be completely different and possibly alone intrigues me. I also like the contrast that comes with his eventual accepting all of that as not true.

I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar

I think it should be shock/identity crisis immediately followed by curiosity. He should be hit hard by the reality that he's not human, that he has another heritage that's been lost to him save for whatever information was sent with him. But he should also want to know as much about Krypton as possible and learn from it.

Solem depression and attempting to understand himself?
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

Clark's already had a freakout scene, tho not as severe (or as annoying) as the one you posted. It begins at 40 seconds, but the big payoff's at 1:20.

And in case you hadn't guessed, I voted Indifference.
    Last edited by Jottun; 02-02-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added the times for the freakout.

I voted curiosity/stupor. Superman is wish fulfillment, not a nightmare come true.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Curiosity/Happiness.

A mix of 2, 3, and 5. Rejection and fear out of love for Jonathan and Martha, initially not wanting to accept not being their biological son. Shock, because hey, you just found out you're not only adopted but also an alien. If you're not shocked then something's wrong with you. And once all that sinks in and acceptance comes about, a genuine curiosity and awe about what he is and where he came from.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.

BANNED

Rejection/fear (Secret Origin did this really well, even though I dislike the overall story), then identity crisis, and then curiosity/happiness.

I feel he should react with a sense of confirmation. His father Jor-El prepared him for his destiny since birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I voted curiosity/stupor. Superman is wish fulfillment, not a nightmare come true.
    Yeah I like this too! I like the idea that he was Super since the first touch of yellow sun radiation. SuperBaby!

I prefer an idea that Jor-El set up Kal with the tools needed to learn, rather pre-installing, in a sense, everything into him as a baby so he's instantly ready to go.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

I actually think it's unfair to group the discovery of his powers and his alien origin. There aren't many possible reactions a young boy could have when discovering he has amazing abilities (anything less than whoop-dee-doo would mean his greatest superpower is the ability to worry), nor are there many variations to how he'd react to knowing he is not necessarily who he thought he was (not having a bit of an identity crisis would mean he's a relativist of the highest degree).

So, I guess it's the usual having fun with flying and lifting heavy stuff, followed by a little bit of teenage angst at knowing the people who raised you aren't your biological parents, who happen to be from another planet. Kids, right?
    Last edited by Self-DCeit; 02-02-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Rejection/fear (Secret Origin did this really well, even though I dislike the overall story), then identity crisis, and then curiosity/happiness.
    This is the correct answer.