Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Power Girl did it better in 2009.
    That's a reach and I liked that series

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    I am always rational. My name is actually Ian by the way, I'm just going with the CBR policy now, so could you please? Thanks. Hiding behind handles is so 2012.
    She's actually a Lady! Knighted by the Queen in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Don't you dare try and turn this into a win.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I actually just did, not even a month ago. Teddy is my favorite character in the book, but to say that he's ever shown a backbone when dealing with Billy would be a flat out lie.
    Hmmmm... okay, I adore Wiccan, but THIS I agree with. Teddy isn't an accessory (because he gets his own story arcs); but when it comes to Billy, he always just took it on the chin. That's what made Gillen's scene so good, he finally got to find his voice in the relationship.

Up until the end of the first series, I'd agree with you. Teddy had a strong showing in the second half. After that, though, he kinda fades into the background.
    Civil War was beyond insulting. He was disected alive, and it was played as a tribulation for Billy.
    He really doesn't fare any better through all of the subsequent YA appearances, until this most recent issue, where it's revealed that he's out heroing despite Billy's wishes to the contrary.
    Seriously, find one moment in between where he's anything more than an accessory. Even his one moment of character development was a lie, as it wasn't Captain Marvel at all that he had the heart to heart with.
    Surely Young Avengers/Runaways: Secret Invasion, and his one-shot with Captain Marvel fill this criteria? And in Mighty Avengers it was Wiccan who was turned into a brain-dead monster, and Hulkling who was immune and had to save him.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    That's a reach and I liked that series
    No, it's not. Power Girl did whatever the hell Captain Marvel is trying to do 10x better.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Surely Young Avengers/Runaways: Secret Invasion, and his one-shot with Captain Marvel fill this criteria? And in Mighty Avengers it was Wiccan who was turned into a brain-dead monster, and Hulkling who was immune and had to save him.
    The Secret Invasion story had Teddy being shunted by the Marvel Universe as a whole. He should have been central to that story. Period.

A couple of stray Skrulls happeneing to take notice of him, far away from the main plot felt disrespectful to the character.

The Presents issue was really good, and quite touching....until you realize what actually took place.

I forget what exactly went down in MA, but I'll trust he had a moment. All I remember happening there was Hawkeye's (Clint) revealing that Wanda was...off....with a kiss. Everything else is non distinct in my head.

No, it's not. Power Girl did whatever the hell Captain Marvel is trying to do 10x better.
    As soon as you figure out what it is Karen was supposedly doing better, do get back to us.

That series was amusing, for sure. The only thing I remember disliking was 'not-Terra', who kept popping up.

I can't say I enjoyed it any more than I'm enjoying Captain Marvel currently, though.
    Last edited by klinton; 02-02-2013 at 05:53 AM.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

The Secret Invasion story had Teddy being shunted by the Marvel Universe as a whole. He should have been central to that story. Period.
    A couple of stray Skrulls happeneing to take notice of him, far away from the main plot felt disrespectful to the character.
    TThe Presents issue was really good, and quite touching....until you realize what actually took place.
    Both of those have nothing to do with whether he got attention (or not) in the specific comic's named. OF COURSE he wasn't central to the event, he's not Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine or Spiderman; and I 100% agree he should have been. But that's not (and never has been; sadly) Marvel's way. He was central in the comic he's a main cast member in; that's all that matters; and all we can ask for.

TI forget what exactly went down in MA, but I'll trust he had a moment. All I remember happening there was Hawkeye's (Clint) revealing that Wanda was...off....with a kiss. Everything else is non distinct in my head.
    It was in "Unspoken." There was a mist that turned everyone back into Neanderthals; Hulkling, Quicksilver (?), Vision and... ugh... I think Radioactive Man? were uneffected. Wiccan was very much effected, and had to be knocked out.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Who said anything about straight white guys?
    Yeah, Kelly checked all the diversity/PC boxes and proclaimed it the future of comics.
    I mean, seriously. How shallow can one be?
    Think before you type.
    Also how much diversity is even in Marvel comics by average? Stop acting like their filling out quotas

And I live comforably in the 21st century. But like I said above, Giffen and the Bierbaums did it better in 1989.
    I get the same thing from people who proclaim Captain Marvel this "groundbreaking" series. Power Girl did it better in 2009.
    Stop putting something down because it's getting more praise then some of your precious DC books

IMO, this is the best NOW series to date.

I think it is due to the fact of it's waspy-like make-up of cast that is devoid of any male minorities that are well written, and i think that is the ideal book that so many readers secretly want, but wont admit to. My opinion there is nothing really groundbreaking about this group, or the book.
    Comfortably numb is my state of being!

this is debatable. And the real proof of the matter is forthcoming.
    Power Girl started off pretty well. But it wasn't long before Batman showed up and essentially took over the series. Then it devolved into a team-up book with PG teaming up with various (often male) heroes of the DCU.
    The real gauging of accomplishments and comparisons between the two should wait until Cap Marvel reaches at least fifteen issues or so..
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    Power Girl started off pretty well. But it wasn't long before Batman showed up and essentially took over the series. Then it devolved into a team-up book with PG teaming up with various (often male) heroes of the DCU.
    The real gauging of accomplishments and comparisons between the two should wait until Cap Marvel reaches at least fifteen issues or so..
    Writer change. It sucked that Tera just disappeared.

I went by my local CBS to buy YA #1, but that didn't happend. They were all sold out... the sales man said that he had already ordered more

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    She teamed up with some male characters because her book was part of the (brilliant) JLI Generation Lost plot. But not to the extent you're instigating here. It was much better than the garbage series that was the first 12 issues.

Captain Marvel was kind of meh. I read a couple issues and I felt like I wasted my money. I liked DeConnick's issues of Supergirl, so I was really surprised.

Hate to pile on here but I actually enjoyed Power Girl (read about the first 20 issues or so) more then Captain Marvel as well. I think I stopped reading Captain Marvel after the first arc, I felt like I didn't learn anything about her other then the fact that she liked to fly. Some her military related dialogue didn't sit well for me either, mostly because I'm in the military. I can't remember specifics but basically she reminds me of the type of people in the military that I would avoid being around. There was some lame stuff like her wearing PT gear in the kitchen which was incredibly dorky and the fact that she is the youngest and most hot Colonel to ever exist. I mean, average age is around 45 or so wtf was she doing?

Sorry, had to get that off my chest lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrook View Post
    I think it is due to the fact of it's waspy-like make-up of cast that is devoid of any male minorities that are well written, and i think that is the ideal book that so many readers secretly want, but wont admit to. My opinion there is nothing really groundbreaking about this group, or the book.
    Wiccan and Hulkling invalidate this statement by simply existing.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrook View Post
    Because there's no black males? Ugh. We have a latina and two gays as leads, one of which is Jewish.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches