Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    disagree on the "developed"..
    Only because you haven't been paying attention.
    Last edited by Confuzzled Mutie; 01-31-2013 at 01:29 AM.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superstan View Post
    For stories to be believable - and interesting - even Superhero stories of flying "Spider-Men" and the like have to have SOME internal consistency. You can't (or shouldn't), for instance, suddenly have Peter Parker remove his face and reveal that for the past 30 years he was really Bruce Banner. Comics are notorious for throwing in unbelievably far-fetched and twisted happenings that strain credulity in order to bring someone back to life, undo a marriage, etc, but it rarely makes for a good story (even if the result is ultimately desirable). In this case Slott spent the last 3 issues of SM setting up a story in which the brains of the two protagonists were switched, and then just "undid" it with no rhyme or reason. Maybe after a year of this he'll have Peter wake up and go "Oh, what a horrible dream!" You're not obligated to go along with every piece of crap storyline or explanation (or lack of) that a writer hurls at you. As a reader who invests time, money and energy into comics, you deserve storylines and developments that make a modicum of sense and don't happen just on account of the writer saying "Because I said so, that's why."
    ASM #700 ended with Peter downloading his experiences into his body.

It wasn't pulled out of the blue and a lot of people (myself included) had argued passionately on these forums that Peter wasn't out of the picture.

There's only a vague explanation for what's happened but as the story is on-going, everything will most likely be explained.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    ASM #700 ended with Peter downloading his experiences into his body.

It wasn't pulled out of the blue and a lot of people (myself included) had argued passionately on these forums that Peter wasn't out of the picture.

There's only a vague explanation for what's happened but as the story is on-going, everything will most likely be explained.
    It was an easy thing to see coming. I actually hoped he wouldn't do it, but maybe that was just me being spiteful.

Nice issue.I love seeing a more mad scientist Spidey and it's a fun series.The only thing that i wish it could be different was not seeing GhostPeter so soon.It would be a far better to let unexplained for a while what stops Ock from completing his affair with MJ and reveal it in later issues,but i understand that Marvel wanted to appease fans who got mad from ASM#700.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    It's hilarious that many of the same people that were complaining about Spock and MJ getting together, are now complaining that the solicits for this issue were misleading.

Funny that Mary Jane was finally confirmed to be the Spider-Man groupie that she has always been.

Now, hopefully she will move on, having been cut loose by Spock.
    Exactly.

There's a whole lot of mental gymnastics going on these boards regarding this book.

Some people's complaints are as follows:

1. Why are they killing Peter Parker, Marvel (Slott and Wacker) hate Spider-man and they suck!!!
    2. Spock is going to have sex with MJ (because of a cover) and the book is filled with rape!!! Slott is endorsing rape!!!! Why is there rape in SSM?!!
    3. Peter is back too fast! Slott should have gone all the way. He doesn't have the balls to tell his own story. He changed his mind at the last minute(which is actually impossible as these books are written months in advance and also completely contradicts complaint 1)
    4. Why didn't MJ get back together with Spock as Marvel advertised and possibily rape her when the solicits said they would! ( which completely contradicts complaint 2)

Lots of people need to read this article.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/op-e...pider-man.html

Frankly, I'm surprised that long time readers don't want to wait to get to the end of a story to judge it. All the righteous indignation at Marvel killing Peter and the ridiculous rape talk was totally premature. However, seeing as that didn't crystallize some folks are looking desperately for something to complain about.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It was an easy thing to see coming. I actually hoped he wouldn't do it, but maybe that was just me being spiteful.
    Exactly.

The end of ASM 700 gave clear indication that Peter was going to be back in some form. However, people were too outraged (or were looking for reasons to be outraged) that they overlooked a convenient way that Peter would be brought back.

Honestly, I would have loved for Peter's come back to be delayed because I'm actually enjoying Spock as Spider-man. Sometimes (actually a lot of times) long running titles like this need that change to freshen things up.

Loving Superior Spider-Man but so hope they kill Carlie Cooper, I don't know why but there has never been a supporting cast member I hated more then her. She is my Jar Jar.
    Last edited by Daye; 01-31-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Exactly.

There's a whole lot of mental gymnastics going on these boards regarding this book.

Some people's complaints are as follows:

1. Why are they killing Peter Parker, Marvel (Slott and Wacker) hate Spider-man and they suck!!!
    2. Spock is going to have sex with MJ (because of a cover) and the book is filled with rape!!! Slott is endorsing rape!!!! Why is there rape in SSM?!!
    3. Peter is back too fast! Slott should have gone all the way. He doesn't have the balls to tell his own story. He changed his mind at the last minute(which is actually impossible as these books are written months in advance and also completely contradicts complaint 1)
    4. Why didn't MJ get back together with Spock as Marvel advertised and possibily rape her when the solicits said they would! ( which completely contradicts complaint 2)
    You know that there are different people on the boards with different opinions right? Who tend to be more vocal when they are more displeased than when they are pleased?

I wasn't big on this issue it wasn't Peter that bothered me but the total lack of awareness from MJ I mean Peter is not acting himself and yet she can't figure it out however Carlie has started to figure out that Peter is not himself and starting to think that Ock may have been telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    You know that there are different people on the boards with different opinions right? Who tend to be more vocal when they are more displeased than when they are pleased?
    Yes. However, I'm referring to those who are shifting positions and contradicting themselves in the process.

Read Superior#2 yesterday and liked it, thought it was actually a really entertaining issue, but I'm kinda of two minds about it all...

Retrospectively, #700 was a great issue if for no other reason it pulled off the dupe of making a huge chunk of the readership think they had killed PP. But I don't think Dan Slott should have said anything about the pay off at the end of SSM#1 because it spoiled the ending a bit. He should say nothing about up coming issues plot wise. Anyway, I don't think PP's soul or whatever died in Ock's body, I just think Ock programmed his personality over PP's (who's mind/soul is still in his own body and it's not a ghost that is following Spock around but rather the consciousness of his buried/suppressed/dormant true self) And I want to know HOW Ock did that at some point (I just say this to clarify my interpretation of the story because some believe it to be PP's ghost).

As for SSM#2- it was fun seeing Spock date MJ and how he basically acts like a douche all the time, but as entertaining as the issue was, how long can this joke last before it starts to wear a bit thin? I'm all up for a new Spider-Man for a while, but if PP is constantly on Spock's shoulder critisizing everything he does I can see that becoming tiresome pretty fast. Plus it's hinted that Carlie is starting to figure it out at the end of the issue. Overall as good as issue 2 was, it feels like the concept does not really have legs. After #2 I feel like I'd be surprised if SSM made it to the release of the next film, when before SSM#1 it seemed like Marvel were in it for the long haul. I dunno maybe PP needs to fade into the background for a bit. I guess they wouldn't have launched a new book if they did not have a longterm plan for it.

I will say I'm glad Spock called it off with red, but I hope that does not screw things up for PP/MJ eventually reconciling when he gets his head together.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 01-31-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Quote Originally Posted by superstan View Post
    In this case Slott spent the last 3 issues of SM setting up a story in which the brains of the two protagonists were switched, and then just "undid" it with no rhyme or reason.
    1. We don't know precisely what happened between Otto and Peter. And yes, I'm being pedantic here, but a literal brain-swap means an transplant of gray matter into a skull. All we see is that Otto's personality is dominant and in control, while Peter's personality is a spectator with limited indirect control.
    2. Nowhere does it show the reverse happen. Could you show us where Peter was back in control of his own body?
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    MJ knew the Chamelon wasn't peter the second he touched her.

People married for 20 years have a knack for knowing the thoughts/feelings/vibe of their soul mate.
    I've only been married for 2 years so I couldn't say if that's true or not. Give me 18 years and I'll get back to you.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rere View Post
    He's talking like a cartoon super villain, for Pete's sake!
    I know I know. I'm just trying to be optimistic. Nice signature by the way.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daye View Post
    Loving Superior Spider-Man but so hope they kill Charlie Cooper, I don't know why but there has never been a supporting cast member I hated more then her. She is my Jar Jar.
    Comics fans are a blood thirsty lot, what, with their constant calls for killing this person or that person off because... because we don't like them, OKAY?!