Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,456

    Default Justice League Dark #16 Discussion/Spoilers

    Trapped in a world where science triumphed over magic the team needs to do their best to survive without their abilities.

    I have to be honest here, last issue despite that it was pretty good, I did'nt feel a huge difference with what Lemire was doing as a solo writer. This issue however, the concepts start to develope with the appearances of creatures of mystical origin and a conflict that includes Timothy Hunter's bloodline and his connection to the Books of Magic. Really interesting stuff.

    The characterization is also pretty good. Every member had a time to shine and I have to say that the new honest Constantine is incredibly entertaining to watch.

    Mikel Janin keeps impressing with his art, no surprises there. Love this series so much.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The characterization is also pretty good. Every member had a time to shine and I have to say that the new honest Constantine is incredibly entertaining to watch.
    Unfortunately that Constantine is only temporary and while fun for the moment to see him like this, I am pretty sure it would get boring very quickly.

    Good issue though...not looking too good for Xan however :S

  3. #3
    Killer Moth Sharkey2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Unfortunately that Constantine is only temporary and while fun for the moment to see him like this, I am pretty sure it would get boring very quickly.

    Good issue though...not looking too good for Xan however :S
    I like how Constantine looks terrified in most of the panels,a complete contrast from his usual confident demeanor.

    Another fantastic issue and an intriguing cliffhanger!

  4. #4

    Default

    Oh thank god.

    Fawkes' presence is felt HEAVILY this issue, and he brings exactly what Lemire has missed; creativity, poetry, mystery. Magic here FELT like magic, in a way that it hasn't under Lemire.

    Wonderful.

    FAWKES YOU BASTARD!! I have a feeling he will become a favorite of mine.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Oh thank god.

    Fawkes' presence is felt HEAVILY this issue, and he brings exactly what Lemire has missed; creativity, poetry, mystery. Magic here FELT like magic, in a way that it hasn't under Lemire.

    Wonderful.

    FAWKES YOU BASTARD!! I have a feeling he will become a favorite of mine.
    I find this statement kind of odd, because I didn't feel this issue was any different than any of the others, save for the fact everyone is getting freaked out by the influence of the dimension they are in.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I find this statement kind of odd, because I didn't feel this issue was any different than any of the others, save for the fact everyone is getting freaked out by the influence of the dimension they are in.
    Lines like "The boundless song of magic wrote itself upon the very earth, sea and sky. The wild world was alive with the limitless mystery of imagination and wonder. Nymphs and faeries made whispered pacts with the silver moon, the diamond stars. Demons and chimeras slide their way between the mammoth trunks of elemental trees, laughing their way through their daily deceptions." would never have happened under Lemire.

    That flashback scene had more poetry, and wonderful, than anything we've gotten from Lemire thus far. It's a MARKED difference. The whole thing was sharper.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Lines like "The boundless song of magic wrote itself upon the very earth, sea and sky. The wild world was alive with the limitless mystery of imagination and wonder. Nymphs and faeries made whispered pacts with the silver moon, the diamond stars. Demons and chimeras slide their way between the mammoth trunks of elemental trees, laughing their way through their daily deceptions." would never have happened under Lemire.

    That flashback scene had more poetry, and wonderful, than anything we've gotten from Lemire thus far. It's a MARKED difference. The whole thing was sharper.
    If you say so :)

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Retro315's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    6,701

    Default

    Yeah, still feels like more of the same. It's not a slight, I'm enjoying it. I'm just not really relating novel-concept magical super-powers with let's say, imagination as a power-source, and reading tricky stories as a conduit and waker of actual magick in my own realm of thought and sphere of art and influence. But I did appreciate Frankenstein a whole bunch and I'm crazy about his being "Born of Black Sciences" as opposed to Black Magic. Frank can keep zapping into otherworlds where techno-religions banish fantastical creatures forever and I'll enjoy it.

    Although the Creature Commandos have better personalities than the JLD ever did. I'd kick 'em all out, except for Deadman, and limit Constantine to showing up rarely and actually being mysterious. Where's S.H.A.D.E. with a hostile takeover of A.R.G.U.S.?
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    Where's S.H.A.D.E. with a hostile takeover of A.R.G.U.S.?
    Probably N.O.W.H.E.R.E.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member El Sombrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,761

    Default

    I haven't picked this up yet (ran out of iTunes money), but I had just enough money to buy the previous issue (JLD #15, which I did not have in my digital collection), and I noticed a clear improvement in the writing: more focus on character, emotional drama, and actual storylines as opposed to mindless magic battles, tawdry dialogue, and throwaway McGuffin tropes. I thought the Fawkes influence was clear and I'm pretty excited, as I really do like some of the characters on this team and would like to be excited about this book again. I look forward to picking up JLD 16 soon, probably next week.

    Have to continue to give props to Mikel Janin, dude just kills it every issue. However, I will be an odd man out and say I kind of preferred the previous colorist and never understood why he/she was hated on.

  11. #11

    Default

    Last issue was a slight improvement, rather than marked.

    This issue, I felt, was far more noticeable. I think you'll enjoy it, brotha.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Senior Member Den's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    I didn't like JLD much when it first started out. Then the creative team changed and it became more to my liking. Now we have Fawkes taking over, and I'm getting a really good feel from this.

    Poor Deadman really can't catch a break though.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

  13. #13
    The-One-Above-All robcastor729's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Goleta, Ca
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    My money's on Black Orchid being the one who doesn't make it home. Or maybe Zatanna
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robcastor729 View Post
    My money's on Black Orchid being the one who doesn't make it home. Or maybe Zatanna
    Black Orchid is playing a big part in the upcoming Animal Man, so I don't think she'll not make it back.

    Zatanna is almost definitely off the team coming up, but I don't know if they'd 'kill off' or even exile the second most known character of the book; I feel like they'd want to have the option open of adding that fan favorite to another line up.

    Frankenstein and Constantine are good bets on staying. Deadman, too.

    Tim, maybe, stays to learn magic and lead the charge on Epoch?
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Veteran Member El Sombrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Zatanna is almost definitely off the team coming up, but I don't know if they'd 'kill off' or even exile the second most known character of the book; I feel like they'd want to have the option open of adding that fan favorite to another line up.
    Zatanna has been criminally underused on this book, so even though I like her -- and like the way Janin draws her -- I wouldn't mind her jumping ship to the core Justice League book. Johns loves the Satellite Era team, so let's get her and Firestorm on that book.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •