Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best current Pulp book?

So I was in my comic book store recently and was they had an back issue of Garth Ennis' The Shadow. I peaked into and what I saw seemed really intriguing (I'm a big fan of Ennis). I was never particularly interested in any of the pulp books being put out by the likes of companies like Dynamite until now. There seems to be quite a selection however - Green Hornet, The Shadow, The Spider, and DH's Black Beetle. With all these titles out; what would everyone recommend to me? Can someone explain to me a bit about each title and what I'd be in store for?

Thanks
    "Ready When You Are" - Batman

I've read the first couple of issues for The Shadow, The Spider and Black Beetle.

The Spider is about Richard Wentworth , who's kind of the same type of person as Bruce Wayne, wealthy who uses his money for gadgets and the likes. The first arc is about an Egyptian villain who turns people into zombies.

The Shadow is about Lamont Cranston , who can somehow see the future of people. the first arc is about him chasing a Japanese intelligence agent.

Can't say much about the black beetle, because not much has been revealed(only issue 0 & 1 are out). An enemy called Labyrinto appeared at the end of #1. It's a mini-series. It has art by Francesco Francavilla, which in itself is enough to warrant a purchase, but the story seems promising.

Can't say anything about Green Hornet, haven't read it.
    Last edited by Blastermaster; 01-29-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Green Hornet: Year One by Matt Wagner and Aaron Campbell is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. Wagner's Zorro work is very strong, too.

It's not an ongoing but Lobster Johnson is my favorite pulp book out there, he's not original to the period but his adventures are just as authentic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Green Hornet: Year One by Matt Wagner and Aaron Campbell is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. Wagner's Zorro work is very strong, too.
    Yeah anything by Wagner. The rest have been disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not an ongoing but Lobster Johnson is my favorite pulp book out there, he's not original to the period but his adventures are just as authentic.
    Oh yeah, Lobster Johnson is fantastic. I'll definitely second this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah anything by Wagner. The rest have been disappointing.
    I'm so psyched he's doing The Shadow: Year One. I think he would have been a better choice to have launched the new Shadow series than Garth Ennis, but at least we're going to next this now.

BANNED

Yeah I thought Ennis would knock it out of the park on Shadow, but I think he's phoning it in. I've always felt these pulp characters have very cool looks and style so I really want to enjoy these books.

I'm also looking forward to Mark Waid's Green Hornet. He's been on fire recently with Daredevil.

So tomorrow when I go to the store I'll peak at Wagner's Green Hornet Year One trade, and maybe pick up Ennis's Shadow trade. How the current shadow series doing? (after his departure). Also how is Liss on The Spider? Also what about Masks? Or should I wait for Wagers Shadow Year One and Waid's Hornet?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Can't wait for Waid's Green Hornet and Wagner's Shadow: Year One.

I sort of like the Shadow book but it does leave a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by nsiops View Post
    So tomorrow when I go to the store I'll peak at Wagner's Green Hornet Year One trade, and maybe pick up Ennis's Shadow trade. How the current shadow series doing? (after his departure). Also how is Liss on The Spider? Also what about Masks? Or should I wait for Wagers Shadow Year One and Waid's Hornet?
    I've heard good things about both The Spider and Masks. Haven't read either yet.

If you like Wagner's GH: Year One, I would recommend picking up his Sandman Mystery Theatre run from Vertigo. It's better than any of the current pulp books (including Wagner's own), and it features art from Guy Davis.

the only reason id be interested in The Spider is the writer, David Liss, had a great run on Black Panther.

So I picked up the first trade of Matt Wagner's Green Hornet Year One and the Ennis trade of The Shadow (which I actually found in a bargain section for half price). I haven't touched on The Shadow, but so far what I've read of Green Hornet - wow! This is really awesome. The art is great too. . I guess I'll be on board for his upcoming run on The Shadow and Mark Waid's upcoming Green Hornet release.

BANNED

Like FanboyStranger said, he sure to also get Sandman Mystery Theater.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

The Spider. That book is just awesome.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra