Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, #1

November 23, 1963: A day that changed the world forever. That day saw the broadcast debut of Doctor Who, which was to become the longest-running science-fiction series on television. And now 50 years later, we pay tribute to one of the greatest pop-culture heroes of all time with this special series, which tells an epic adventure featuring all 11 incarnations of the intrepid traveler through time and space known simply as... the Doctor.

Full article here.

It's the Trickster, I called it first! ;)

Awesome opening and the artwork is fab, this is looking a lot better than the Star Trek crossover already. This Whovian will definitely pick this up when it comes out in full hardcover, I'll want to look at all those juicy variants.

I love the alternate photo cover:

This is the first I've heard of this though, when does it come out? Tomorrow?

Wow, when's the last time William Hartnell has been in a comic? Once again Doctor Who has tricked me into learning something! I looks like a really fun read, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This is the first I've heard of this though, when does it come out? Tomorrow?
    I hope so it looks awesome!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Yes, it comes out tomorrow. I hadn't intended on getting this, but I may be changing my mind.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Doctor Who? Simon Fraser? YES PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Yes, it comes out tomorrow. I hadn't intended on getting this, but I may be changing my mind.
    I'll definitely be taking a peek. I was turned off by the Who/Trek crossover but that preview looked great.

This was a solid book, I liked the art and it was fun to see the first Doctor again.

About the only thing I missed was Susan Forman, I always preferred her to Vikki.

Decent. A nice, simple sci-fi story - though with obvious hints of complexity to come. That should sit well thematically, as the series itself tends to get more cyclical and complex in its plots and subplots as the years go by, so perhaps by the end of it it'll be a great big lovely time-knot of a tale. The comics medium provides the easiest way to cleverly revisit each season, as well as "something" from each season (besides just the Doctor and his Companions).

Of course I miss the time-vortex 60s graphic effect. It's hard to dig the classic serial "shock ending" without the sudden cut to OOOWEEEEOOOOOOOOOH spiral spiral spiral. But that happens when you translate a TV show into comic form. The pacing is all screwy without the Intro and end credits cuts. First of 12!
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

If they could find a way to some how simulate the intro and end credit cuts that would make this a near perfect book.

IS it only about the William Hartnell Doctor or will it be a different Doctors throughout the 12 issue run?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    IS it only about the William Hartnell Doctor or will it be a different Doctors throughout the 12 issue run?
    I got the impression that each issue will feature a different Doctor as not only did they show the different Doctors in the beginning but they also really played up the 50th anniversary.

I can't wait to see how all the covers connect for this series.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

Neil Simon's Reservations

It didn't have nearly enough, "HMM? HMM?" for my liking, but was otherwise solid. Will return for at least another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I got the impression that each issue will feature a different Doctor as not only did they show the different Doctors in the beginning but they also really played up the 50th anniversary.
    This is correct.

I looked at it but ultimately didn't pick it up. My exposure to the first three doctors is extremely limited, so I don't have as much attachment to them. But part of the reason I passed was that this was such an expensive week for me already. If there's a copy left, I may give it another look next week.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum