Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
  1. #16
    Read my mind. Lois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    Better than this one?

    *eek* So, glad that one wasn't used. LOL

  2. #17
    Paladin Kurosawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    344 Clinton St, Apt 3E
    Posts
    3,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lois View Post
    *eek* So, glad that one wasn't used. LOL
    Better than the MOS costume, just the wrong actor.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

  3. #18
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Damn the suit looks good here. I'm liking what I'm reading here

    Also yikes that Cage suit looks bad.

  4. #19
    Read my mind. Lois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Better than the MOS costume, just the wrong actor.
    Wrong actor is right.
    I like the MOS costume better.

  5. #20
    Loading cactusmaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Forever Becoming - Pelican
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Yeah, that's very lame and a lot like Smallville, which is also very lame. The best part is that they said they were not going to make him too human, that they would not take the super out of Superman.

    But taking Clark Kent-the neebish Clark Kent-away from Superman is why the Post-Crisis version failed so bad.

    Some of it sounds good, some of it doesn't. Disrespecting Shuster's costume disgusts me as always.
    The post-Crisis version ran out of steam because it de-emphasised his Kryptonian Superness at the expense of emphasising he was a gosh-darn, farmer's boy from Kansas.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

  6. #21
    I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Some of it sounds good, some of it doesn't. Disrespecting Shuster's costume disgusts me as always.
    Shuster designed the costume to reflect sci-fi costuming and athletic wear of his day. His Superman was intended to be fully contemporary for the time. 75 years later, sleeker, one-piece costumes are the standard for both sci-fi costuming and athletic wear. How is it "disrespecting" Shuster to update Superman's look to be in keeping with contemporary tastes -- you know, the very same thing Shuster was doing at the time he first designed it?

    Oh, wait. It's not disrespectful at all and you know it. You just personally don't want anything different from what YOU envision. News flash: nobody gets everything they want the way they want it, and fictional characters with lasting appeal WILL undergo changes and tweaks as time goes on. This is the way it is with Robin Hood, with Dracula, with Sherlock Holmes, with Hamlet...and with Superman. He rolls with that crowd now, and the sooner people accept that, the better.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,089

    Default

    I'm enjoying this run so far. I really am. But it feels like it's trying to be more epic than it actually is...

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Krypton View Post
    Shuster designed the costume to reflect sci-fi costuming and athletic wear of his day. His Superman was intended to be fully contemporary for the time. 75 years later, sleeker, one-piece costumes are the standard for both sci-fi costuming and athletic wear. How is it "disrespecting" Shuster to update Superman's look to be in keeping with contemporary tastes -- you know, the very same thing Shuster was doing at the time he first designed it?

    Oh, wait. It's not disrespectful at all and you know it. You just personally don't want anything different from what YOU envision. News flash: nobody gets everything they want the way they want it, and fictional characters with lasting appeal WILL undergo changes and tweaks as time goes on. This is the way it is with Robin Hood, with Dracula, with Sherlock Holmes, with Hamlet...and with Superman. He rolls with that crowd now, and the sooner people accept that, the better.
    Too lazy to pull a clap gif.

  9. #24
    Blue Boba ABH-1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Krypton View Post
    Shuster designed the costume to reflect sci-fi costuming and athletic wear of his day. His Superman was intended to be fully contemporary for the time. 75 years later, sleeker, one-piece costumes are the standard for both sci-fi costuming and athletic wear. How is it "disrespecting" Shuster to update Superman's look to be in keeping with contemporary tastes -- you know, the very same thing Shuster was doing at the time he first designed it?

    Oh, wait. It's not disrespectful at all and you know it. You just personally don't want anything different from what YOU envision. News flash: nobody gets everything they want the way they want it, and fictional characters with lasting appeal WILL undergo changes and tweaks as time goes on. This is the way it is with Robin Hood, with Dracula, with Sherlock Holmes, with Hamlet...and with Superman. He rolls with that crowd now, and the sooner people accept that, the better.
    And this is why you're King. Well said.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

  10. #25
    Paladin Kurosawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    344 Clinton St, Apt 3E
    Posts
    3,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Krypton View Post
    Shuster designed the costume to reflect sci-fi costuming and athletic wear of his day. His Superman was intended to be fully contemporary for the time. 75 years later, sleeker, one-piece costumes are the standard for both sci-fi costuming and athletic wear. How is it "disrespecting" Shuster to update Superman's look to be in keeping with contemporary tastes -- you know, the very same thing Shuster was doing at the time he first designed it?

    Oh, wait. It's not disrespectful at all and you know it. You just personally don't want anything different from what YOU envision. News flash: nobody gets everything they want the way they want it, and fictional characters with lasting appeal WILL undergo changes and tweaks as time goes on. This is the way it is with Robin Hood, with Dracula, with Sherlock Holmes, with Hamlet...and with Superman. He rolls with that crowd now, and the sooner people accept that, the better.
    No, it is disrespectful and you know it. That costume and the DCnU costume both say: superheroes and superhero costumes are stupid, and that Joe Shuster is dead and who cares what he designed. That's the message and that's the only message. It has nothing to do with anyone else's look or design. DC wonders why their characters other than Batman fail when they constantly push the idea that they are and have always been lame. If they were really proud of Superman, they would put him out there in his REAL costume and tell anyone who thinks it silly to kiss their asses, which is what I do.

    DC fails because they and WB are ashamed of their characters and their history. Marvel triumphs because they are proud of their characters and their history. It probably doesn't hurt that the guy who co-created most of them is still alive. Once Stan is gone, Marvel might start treating some of their older characters worse than they already do and might start tearing at their foundations more. But mostly Marvel sells the idea that they've always been great and everything they've done is awesome. If only DC had that kind of pride-they always apologize for doing superhero comics.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

  11. #26
    Elder Member zryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,067

    Default

    hi Kurosawa I do think WB is somewhat embarrassed about their superheroes (besides Batman) It must be so incredibly frustrating for them to have some of the most famous and recognizable superheroes on the planet and yet seen so little success on the big screen for them. Its like the new MOS film. Its not Superman but Man of Steel. Almost as if Superman is a bad word. And of course in the new movie he's a loner, travelling around finding himself. As such the colors are muted to convey that this is not your parents Superman or indeed Christopher Reeve Superman. This is a brooding alien who is struggling to fit into a dark world. Will it work? Well WB doesnt seem to have much faith in it because they are holding back on JL until the box office tally is done. Even then I think we wont see JL for many years after that. Its like they want to hedge their bets but at the same time have no confidence in their product.

  12. #27
    Paladin Kurosawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    344 Clinton St, Apt 3E
    Posts
    3,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    hi Kurosawa I do think WB is somewhat embarrassed about their superheroes (besides Batman) It must be so incredibly frustrating for them to have some of the most famous and recognizable superheroes on the planet and yet seen so little success on the big screen for them. Its like the new MOS film. Its not Superman but Man of Steel. Almost as if Superman is a bad word. And of course in the new movie he's a loner, travelling around finding himself. As such the colors are muted to convey that this is not your parents Superman or indeed Christopher Reeve Superman. This is a brooding alien who is struggling to fit into a dark world. Will it work? Well WB doesnt seem to have much faith in it because they are holding back on JL until the box office tally is done. Even then I think we wont see JL for many years after that. Its like they want to hedge their bets but at the same time have no confidence in their product.
    They haven't had pride in themselves for years. If they did they wouldn't destroy their history every 5 minutes. DC has no confidence and no pride in what they are. They constantly apologize. This actually goes all the way back to the end of the Silver Age. They'll never be the #1 comics publisher again, and Marvel now destroys them in the superhero movie business too. They will never, ever catch Marvel because they think their characters (besides Batman) are stupid and they tear them down instead of building them up. Now I don't think MOS will be a flop, but they've already hitched the possibility of not making the JL of no A (because again they hate their history) to the success of it. There is no one in their company with a personal investment in their characters or any sort of history past their deconstruction period besides Paul Levitz, and he had a hand in that too. DC has no future. It would take someone with an incredible love of their characters, history and creators to make them matter and anyone like that would never get a corporate leadership position.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

  13. #28
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Too lazy to pull a clap gif.
    I will.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa
    No, it is disrespectful and you know it. That costume and the DCnU costume both say: superheroes and superhero costumes are stupid, and that Joe Shuster is dead and who cares what he designed. That's the message and that's the only message. It has nothing to do with anyone else's look or design. DC wonders why their characters other than Batman fail when they constantly push the idea that they are and have always been lame. If they were really proud of Superman, they would put him out there in his REAL costume and tell anyone who thinks it silly to kiss their asses, which is what I do.
    So if Shuster changed it, then you wouldn't have an issue?

    DC fails because they and WB are ashamed of their characters and their history. Marvel triumphs because they are proud of their characters and their history. It probably doesn't hurt that the guy who co-created most of them is still alive. Once Stan is gone, Marvel might start treating some of their older characters worse than they already do and might start tearing at their foundations more. But mostly Marvel sells the idea that they've always been great and everything they've done is awesome. If only DC had that kind of pride-they always apologize for doing superhero comics
    Right, except Marvel films have changed the costumes as well. See all five "X-Men" films, all four "Spider-Man" films, "Fantastic Four", "Daredevil" and so on. And it's not because of Warner Brothers is ashamed of their properties. They're just a movie studio that does what it does with all of it's other films. Marvel had to start their own film studio, which is something that DC did not have the luxury when they were bought up by WB. Before then, Marvel was just as subjective to what the studios wanted and how they wanted to do it.

  14. #29

    Default

    Sorry for the noob question, but is there any way to either zoom in on these scans or download the original file? The print is too small to read.

  15. #30
    Paladin Kurosawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    344 Clinton St, Apt 3E
    Posts
    3,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    I will.





    So if Shuster changed it, then you wouldn't have an issue?



    Right, except Marvel films have changed the costumes as well. See all five "X-Men" films, all four "Spider-Man" films, "Fantastic Four", "Daredevil" and so on. And it's not because of Warner Brothers is ashamed of their properties. They're just a movie studio that does what it does with all of it's other films. Marvel had to start their own film studio, which is something that DC did not have the luxury when they were bought up by WB. Before then, Marvel was just as subjective to what the studios wanted and how they wanted to do it.
    You realize that I dislike you, have you on ignore, and consider everything you say to be invalid and the opinions of a DC shill, correct?
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •