Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Default What would you like to see done with B&R?

I just noticed that we were talking about Damian in the Nightwing, Dick Grayson, DotF, and RHatO threads, and his appreciation thread was up. So I was wondering what does everyone think about B&R right now?

The title feels like it's being pulled back and forth between Snyder and Morrison right now. I know not much can really happen as long as Inc is going to be Damian's origin story, and Snyder has him fighting his storyline every few months.

I think him sweeping the sewers for the pearl from Bruce's mother's necklace was sweet and touching. I am enjoying the animals, I think they need to have Arthur's dog over while he's in Atlantis for a while. I just think it's a problem if the filler parts are the parts I remember.

My suggestion is; since he can't be out fighting and making new arches right now (because of Inc) then you have him deal with the fact that his life has been completely turned around. Sure he's still a pampered rich kid, but before he was the secret grandson of the secret leader of a secret group of assassins. Now he is the long lost son of the world's most eligible bachelor and 2nd richest man on the planet. Even if he's completely sheltered he has become a public figure all of the sudden. He went from an only child with an army that would kill themselves at his command to the youngest brother of a bunch of bad ass fighters. His entire world has been turned upside down and the bat-cave is probably the only thing that feels normal to him.

What would you like to see done with B&R?

Batman and Robin is one of my favorite books in the New 52, and has been every single month. Peter J. Tomasi's work on it is nothing short of masterful.
    Morrison's Batman Inc. is ending soon, firstly. Keep that in mind. Secondly, who says it has to be anything?
    Why don't we just have some normal adventures happen? Stuff like the Terminus arc: It's not big, it's not important, but it's superheroes being superheroes.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I like the current B&R book the way it is. The only thing it needs is storable story lines that have a little more at risk. And, maybe some classic rogues, too. I know some don't like Damian's voice in this book, but I feel like its getting better. As long as Tomasi stops forgetting to have Damian uses everyones' last name, I'm fine with it. Gleason is over looked too. The guy's art is great. I love his work.

I'll admit, some of the stories are fun and most of them move well. But I didn't even remember Terminus until you mentioned him and then the first thing I remembered was all the injured goons he hired. The results of the brutality of The Bat was the best part of the entire arc. The villain almost made me fall asleep, and then the finale was all just too easy, probably because they needed to wrap it up in time for someone else's book to direct Damian.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I really liked the Terminus arc. It could have used an issue, but I loved Damian calling out the former Robins. His interaction with Red Hood was classic. Oh, and Dick just throwing him an escrima stick. I thought that was pretty great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    I really liked the Terminus arc. It could have used an issue, but I loved Damian calling out the former Robins. His interaction with Red Hood was classic. Oh, and Dick just throwing him an escrima stick. I thought that was pretty great, too.
    Right but what about Terminus? You know the antagonist? The showdowns with his "brothers", while classic, were far too short and might as well have been backups.

And really all I'm asking is what would you like to see?

At the risk of sounding a bit repetitive I'd like a new creative team on this and a new direction for the book. The current volume of the title lacks the uniqueness of the previous run among all the other problems I've had with it.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Sort of like what JasonTodd428, but I would prefer a new direction. At this point, the comic hasn't had any storyline or big arc since the opening (which I did enjoy despite a being an issue or two too long), so I think getting some sort of story or plot going would immensely help this comic right now.

Bryan Q Miller or Jason Aaron, mostly.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Oh my god, the possibilities of Jason Aaron writing Damian.

I'm curious what's going to go down in 18 & 19 and the end of Inc shortly after, and it may depend on what happens, but after things have calmed down I think adding a few secondary characters, or even having Nightwing for instance have an increased role could be nice. I really enjoy the small main cast of the book, and the focus on Bruce and Damian + Alfred but I'd be curious to see the dynamics throwing a few other characters in the mix could do, especially someone who could be a sort of peer for Damian, like Colin was. On the other hand, the "War of the Robins" story was probably my least favorite arc so far, so I don't know.

I like it as it is to be honest, after Inc. it's definitely my favorite Bat-Book being put out right now. If I'd change anything it would be that the structure would include more one and done stories but that's pretty much my preference for every book.

I'm liking the focus on Damian, but I want something to come around to shake it up. Maybe give another writer a couple of issues or something, if only to hear a different voice for Damian. Or bring in Grayson for an issue or two and re-unite that Batman & Robin team of Grayson and Damian.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

If anything I would like for B&R to be the Flagship Bat Title... And have the dynamic duo team-up more often...
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    If anything I would like for B&R to be the Flagship Bat Title... And have the dynamic duo team-up more often...
    Like his signature says... "Quoted for truth....

This is the idea. I remember when B&R was the flagship of the Batman line and Dick Grayson was the Boy Wonder and the most amazing thing going.

I personally would prefer if 'Tec; i.e. Detective Comics; i.e. DC was the the flagship of the entire thing. Layman is the writer I am most enjoying over the last three months but Morrison has been fantastic. I wish Batman was like the Superman Line and supported the classic title. AC is THE Superman of the DC"n"U. I wish DC was The Bat of this restart.