Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why Do All the Former Boy Wonders Wear Red?

Originally I was going to ask if people thought Nightwing should go back to wearing blue and it occurred to me all the Boy Wonders currently wear red. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake & Damian Wayne all wear some form of red. I assume this is some sort of conscious decision. I was wondering why that is. Does anyone think it is just a coincidence?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Well red is staple Robin color (red, yellow, green), and Red Hood and Red Robin have red right there in their name so of course they wear red. Why Nightwing now wears red, after years of blue being Nightwing's color, not only in comics but in every other outside media appearance of Nightwing too, i don't know. They said Jim Lee just thought red was more striking, but maybe it is a conscious decision to make all the Robins less distinct and more interchangeable, even on a visual level.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-28-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Well, I guess the main question is why Dick wears red, but it's likely because he was the first Robin. With the others, you have Red Hood and Red Robin, and then Damian, the current Robin. So it's pretty clear why they would be wearing red.

I've gotten used to Nightwing's red, but I wouldn't might if they incorporated something like the stealth-mode in the YJ toon, that would change the red to a dark blue, when needed.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Oh, i would love for them to make Nightwing blue again. Its not that i don't like the red, it just that i don't like that they all wear red. Plus blue was his color, and still the color commonly associated with Nightwing. At this point the red is counterproductive to Nightwing's general familiarity.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-28-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Oh, i would love for them to make Nightwing blue again. Its not that i don't like the red, it just that i don't like that they all wear red. Plus blue was his color, and still the color commonly associated with Nightwing. At this point the red is counterproductive to his general familiarity.
    This. They're underestimating the familiarity of "Nightwing" and playing up the familiarity of Robin. Not a good choice imo.

The red in Nightwing's outfit reminds me of Batman & Robin. Not a smart move.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    The red in Nightwing's outfit reminds me of Batman & Robin. Not a smart move.
    That's probably why they did it though. It's the most famous rendition of the character besides Burt Ward. Not saying I agree with it though (because I don't).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	American-Robin-and-berries.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	107832

This is why...

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

They all wear red because 3/4 of all DC characters wear red.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Someone has to be a human decoy for Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	American-Robin-and-berries.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	107832

This is why...
    That looks like orange to me. BTW im all for orange

That doesnt even look like a robin...

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I like blue better than red in any way, shape, or form. That being said, I think Nightwing being red works because it gives all the Robins (former and current) a uniformed look. I like Nightwing being blue, but I don't think it looks bad red by any means.
    Last edited by maxpower00044; 01-28-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Originally I was going to ask if people thought Nightwing should go back to wearing blue and it occurred to me all the Boy Wonders currently wear red. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake & Damian Wayne all wear some form of red. I assume this is some sort of conscious decision. I was wondering why that is. Does anyone think it is just a coincidence?

They actually all wear green. You're just color blind.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

It's better than having all of them running around in the buff.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.