Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Boonciaver View Post
    Xena?

Buffy?
    I am not sure many would remember Xena after all this time since it stopped being made, repeats or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Boonciaver View Post
    Xena?

Buffy?
    I agree; they probably blurt out Catwoman, Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey, or Hope, too; might think of Hunger Games; in anime, might think of Bulma and Android 18, or Misty; not all superheros, I know, but it's name recognition and a close association. I think it's a huge toss up; Wonder Woman has probably been moved down to the top 10 or 11, due to becoming somewhat stagnant by DC trying to affix her to being a feminist icon and now to a relatively obscure religion; I think bathing Wonder Woman in Greek mythology isn't doing her any favor at all, as far as the public at large is concerned. I think, in terms of public recognition, Wonder Woman may have been very recognizable as the female starting in 1990 on back; after 1990, others replaced her. It seems that way here, because we're in the Wonder Woman forum, but go to the Marvel forums and see http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=119 and http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=120; just bringing this issue to perspective.

With the men superhereos, however, I think Batman and Superman are still in about the top 7, but I hear all sorts of people talk about Spiderman slogans all the time everywhere in places you might not expect such as boxing and basketball. Than you have Hulk surging there, along with Wolverine. DC did a fine job keeping Batman recognizable, but Superman is coming time to need a few pushes or he'll fall into a Wonder Woman position, not too long from now.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 01-29-2013 at 07:03 AM.

The average person could probably name Superman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, Catwoman, Hulk, Captain America...maybe Wolverine. Thanks to the huge success of the recent movies a surprising # of people could probably also name Thor, Iron Man, Green Lantern, and offer at least vague descriptions of the other X-Men and lesser Avengers (eye beam guy, weather control lady, sexy spy Scarlet, bow and arrow guy, Samuel L. Jackson in an eye patch, etc.), but those have probably only really saturated the younger demo more likely to go to the latest Summer blockbusters.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    I agree; they probably blurt out Catwoman, Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey, or Hope, too;
    Who is Hope? I kinda doubt non-comics people will have heard of her if I haven't.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Who is Hope? I kinda doubt non-comics people will have heard of her if I haven't.
    Hope is a two-bit mutant running around over in Marvel. No idea how she even gets a mention, really, as she's not very prominent outside of the recent Schism arc.

I would say "NO" because Wonder Woman's iconic status has dwindled a bit in the Western World.
    Personally I think she's great and relevant but DC and Warner Bros as a whole have been doing her story bad....not always, she does come out with great stories but she has bad ones too.... DC and Warner Bros problem is they have been marketing the character in the wrong way.
    She was huge in her time but as the years rolled on and on Diana was a little less relevant, in in the 90s and noughties there came characters like Tomb Raider's Lara Croft, Xena Warrior Princess, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel's Storm rose in popularity, Catwoman was alive and dynamic thanks to Burton and Nolan(huge movies), video games produced other characters like Resident Evil's Alice, Sigourney Weaver had runs in the Aliens franchise, you had Terminator's Sarah Connor(massive franchise), the rise teen angst drama characters like those in Twilight and the rise of nerdy girls like Dr. Temperance Brennan Bones, Sam Carter in Stargate scifi and other girls of scifi like the classic Lt. Uhura of Star Trek.

Comicbooks were a huge thing in their time, but the medium is not so big anymore

Sales of comics are completely eclipsed by blockbuster movies and video games
    I would also say in Korea, India, Russia, Vietnam, China etc and other areas outside the Western World people would be very unfamiliar with Diana's story, they might be more familiar with Black Widow(in one of the biggest blockbusters of all time) or a video game character like Lara Croft or one of their anime girls than Wonder Woman
    Last edited by Whirlwind Dinamo; 01-30-2013 at 06:41 AM.

At this point, Black Widow is probably the biggest competition. Never would have believed that three years ago.
    Uhm... I don't think so. She is not even in the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Uhm... I don't think so. She is not even in the top 4.
    Who made that top 4, and did they make it before or after The Avengers made about 2 billions dollars?
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

THE MOST KNOWN FEMALE SUPERHERO? No.
    THE MOST KNOWN FEMALE SUPERHERO COMING FROM WESTERN CULTURE? I'd say yes.

Gemma Arterton is Wonder Woman

What well-known supereroes don't come from Western culture?

Storm
    Black Widow
    Catwoman

I'm not counting legacy or off-shoots like Supergirl.
    Although note she's not the most well-known female character out there, just tops among the superhero niche.

Quote Originally Posted by BYC View Post
    Although note she's not the most well-known female character out there, just tops among the superhero niche.
    Not really relevant, given the thread title...

Is the Black Widow really making that big an impact, out there?

Marvel Comics already seems bored with her and turning all its attention on building up Captain Marvel (promoted from 'Ms. Marvel'), who never stays interesting for very long. Seriously, ..there's even talk that Captain Marvel will feature in the next Avengers film! It seems that Marvel has decided it wants its own Wonder Woman, so, it's pulling out all the stops to shove Carol Danvers and Spider-Woman down our throats, ..again.

I wouldn't be surprised, if the Black Widow of the comics was cast aside, until the allegedly upcoming Black Widow film (starring Scarlett Johansson), ..at which point Marvel would suddenly become interested in her again. There seemed to be a swell of interest in dressing up like Black Widow at last year's summer comicons and, later, around Halloween, and that might move Marvel to get serious about Black Widow.

Don't know...
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

What well-known supereroes don't come from Western culture?
    Japan, S.Korea and China have very, very active entertainment industries. Japan perhaps being the most strong with creations like its Videogames. Examples being Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Zelda's link, Metal Gear's Snake, God of War's Kratos, Biohazard/ResidentEvil's Jill, Leon, Wesker, Metroid's Samus, Devil May Cry's Dante. Japan has strong Anime and strong manga like Dragonball, One Piece, Angel Beats, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Lelough of the Rebellion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Oh!Edo Rocket, Naruto, Pokemon, Ghost in the Shell....they are all very, very big sellers on amazon, yahoo-online, barnes and noble, ebay etc
    During the 90s Western consoles like Xbox didn't exist and it was Nintendo, Playstation and Sega alone which dominated the computer entertainment industry.....you may not know all these creations but Asia has a billion, billion and billion people living in the East and they buy a lot of their own entertainment creations.

These Japanese games have story and plots to rival Western cartoon shows, their sales that number in the millions and millions.
    A lot of video game characters originate from Japan thanks to the eastern gaming industry being so very dominant in the 1990s and early noughties. Many Chinese stories and Japanese gaming characters are now starting to also feature in movies in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind Dinamo View Post
    Japan, S.Korea and China have very, very active entertainment industries. Japan perhaps being the most strong with creations like its Videogames. Examples being Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Zelda's link, Metal Gear's Snake, God of War's Kratos, Biohazard/ResidentEvil's Jill, Leon, Wesker, Metroid's Samus, Devil May Cry's Dante. Japan has strong Anime and strong manga like Dragonball, One Piece, Angel Beats, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Lelough of the Rebellion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Oh!Edo Rocket, Naruto, Pokemon, Ghost in the Shell....they are all very, very big sellers on amazon, yahoo-online, barnes and noble, ebay etc
    And what, if anything, have they to do with female superheroes?