Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    HEY! That movie was awesome!

It had a good story, fun characters, race-car driving vikings, the most epic car-fu I've ever seen in a movie, John Goodman beating up ninjas and a chimp!
    I would rather watch the SW Holiday Special again but everybody is entitled to his own opinion.

Speed Racer is one of the best comic/cartoon adaptations ever. It took the campy and insane source material and translated it with all the weirdness intact, and without making fun of it! It's entirely straightforward and not a farce. It's like the movie says, 'hey, Speed Racer is goofy as all get out, but come on: pretend you're a kid again and just enjoy it!'

BANNED

I like campy bad movies. Ice Pirates is one of my favorites but this did not click with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Choblik View Post
    I like campy bad movies. Ice Pirates is one of my favorites but this did not click with me.
    Then you probably would not like the original Speed Racer series. The movie was a live action version of it. I loved every second of it, but I was a big fan of the original series. If you didn't already know the inside jokes of the series, you had little chance of really getting this movie.

That said, Speed Racer isn't what this topic is about. Speed Racer was an adaptation of the 1960's series (which was the English version of Mach Go Go Go). What the author is looking for are movies that were inspired by animes (or ripped them off), not live action adaptations of said animes.

And I'm shocked to see this thread make it to the second page before the obvious one is mentioned: Lion King obviously ripping off elements of Kimba The White Lion.

Oops, I mean Disney has created an original story that just happens to have many, many artistic similarities to Kimba and everything is coincidental. Honest. It's also a complete coincidence that Atlantis: The Lost Empire so resembles Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. Really. Nothing to see here. *whistles*

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    Being critical... does anybody actually know of another work prior to the Battle Royale manga/film that focused on teenagers being shoved into a life-or-death survival game?
    I can't think of any with specifically "teenagers" off the top of my head, but there's plenty with people being put into that situation.

Others... a lot of anime fans suspected that The Lion King was based on Kimba the White Lion. And the Wachowskis admitted that Ghost in the Shell was a major influence on The Matrix.
    "After a long absence, the original Thor returned to his comic book, only to discover that comics in the 90s were very different to what he remembered. But Thor quickly fit right in by going violently insane."

"You know, if everyone the Punisher killed turns out to be no more dead than anyone else who dies in Marvel Comics, he's going to be in BIG trouble one of these days."

- Both from Marvel Year in Review 1993

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Mew Mew View Post
    I can't think of any with specifically "teenagers" off the top of my head, but there's plenty with people being put into that situation.

Others... a lot of anime fans suspected that The Lion King was based on Kimba the White Lion. And the Wachowskis admitted that Ghost in the Shell was a major influence on The Matrix.
    In Rome,there were gladiators fights.I assume that some of them were teenagers.

BANNED

Teenagers exist since the early 20th, late 19th century.

It had a good story, fun characters, race-car driving vikings, the most epic car-fu I've ever seen in a movie, John Goodman beating up ninjas and a chimp!
    *High Five*

Comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    In Rome,there were gladiators fights.I assume that some of them were teenagers.
    Some, but very few. The thing with gladiators is that they were supposed to be an spectacle. Two untrained guys duking it out? Not that exciting. I mean yeah, there were unlucky bastards that ended up with a sword in their hand and no clue how to use it, but some were also trained from a young age for the lifestyle.

On the other hand, young Christians and other people getting literally thrown to the lions? Totally happened, and amusing enough for the audience.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

The Hunger Games was inspired by mythology,Iraq and Vietnam war,Roman gladiator games, and reality television.As you can see,it wasn't inspired by Battle Royale.The author's had stories told to her by relatives about the Vietnam war when she was a little girl.I think it was her dad or uncle that told her.She was channel surfing once and she saw coverage about the Iraq War and reailty television.As she was watching it,she thought,"the lines between these stories started to blur in a very unsettling way."I think what she meant was both programs look the same to her.The mythology story Theseus and the Minotaur inspired her as well.It's about 7 boys and 7 girls were sent in a labyrinth only to be eaten by a minotuar. Instead of a labyrinth,she decided to Roman gladiator games.Some pretty much,the kids in The Hunger Games were gladiators.

The third film will be a war story.Can't tell you much about spoiling the story.
    Last edited by Wild_Child; 02-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.

The battle royale denial is so much fun to read.

Yeah yeah, sure, it's the Vietnam war who inspired Collins, lol, if you want, whatever. And let's not forget how the hundred years war inspired The Goonies or how Ramses attacking Syria was totally what gave Lucas the idea for Indiana Jones.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Olvia View Post

Yeah yeah, sure, it's the Vietnam war who inspired Collins, lol, if you want, whatever. And let's not forget how the hundred years war inspired The Goonies or how Ramses attacking Syria was totally what gave Lucas the idea for Indiana Jones.
    Nice disingenuous comment you've made here. It didn't actually contribute anything of value to the conversation and made the people who support the idea of Hunger Games being derived from Battle Royale look stupid by association.

Five stars.

I can't comment on the validity of Hunger Games coming from the Vietnam war, never heard the claim before, but considering the author has outright denied that BR is her inspiration and the sum total of similarities is "Teenagers are in a government controlled death game," I'm inclined to believe her.

If Hunger Games had had something like the exploding collars, which are iconic to BR's setting, or it had been set in essentially the real world like BR or had central characters that were in some way directly analogous to anyone in Battle Royale, I would give the idea of BR being the inspiration more credit.

But none of those things are in Hunger Games. So... yeah, I remain unconvinced by the argument.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Olvia View Post

Wait wait wait. Are you seriously saying that huge events during the current time period or during a creator's formative years is unlikely and/or shouldn't influence them. Something like the Vietnam War has most certainly influence a great many works out there (especially since this was the first time they aired live or semi-live footage of the carnage there).

That is a huge difference between watching live footage of something like Vietnam (it shocked a bunch of people) during an impressionable young age and doing a book report on Alexander the Great or something.

Edit: I don't really care too much about either so I don't care if HG copied Battle Royale, but I'm shocked at the people who dismiss the possibility all together that someone could come up with a similar concept without stealing someone else's work or whatever the accusations are.

I remember reading somewhere that the series "The 8 Man" was one of the main inspirations for Robocop.
    Last edited by Kevin M.; 02-17-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Have beer, will drink!

Him, Susan Sarandon, and Matthew Fox were the only characters in that movie who I actually liked. The rest seemed like cardboard cutouts walking around in a CGI train wreck.
    Have beer, will drink!

Some people regard Paprika as the "inspiration" for Inception. Apparently Nolan based one of the chacters on Paprika's real version. What was her name? Can't remember.